• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

MrBlitzpunk

I don't feel any difference in sound quality between the three E30s.
The third and newest E30 has an S/PDIF chip changed from AK4118 to CIRRUS LOGIC CS8416 due to an AKM fire. I did a OPT/COAX connection test to see the difference in operation, but all the connected equipment I tested worked fine.
so my E30 has arrived, the S/N turns out to be 2012xx, i still don't know what to make of that information yet. should i update firmware?

Toku

Major Contributor
so my E30 has arrived, the S/N turns out to be 2012xx, i still don't know what to make of that information yet. should i update firmware?
The S/N 2012xx E30 you got is a model that uses the AK4118 chip for S/PDIF, and the current firmware is the latest.
Please also refer to my previous post.

MrBlitzpunk

The S/N 2012xx E30 you got is a model that uses the AK4118 chip for S/PDIF, and the current firmware is the latest.
Please also refer to my previous post.
so i guess, mine doesn't have the issue with reversed polarity then? btw, plugging it using USB input from my PC, the display only shows fixed bitrate (whatever it is i chose on windows audio setting) instead of changing depending on the file im playing. is there a way to bypass this? ( I mainly use spotify)

Toku

Major Contributor
so i guess, mine doesn't have the issue with reversed polarity then? btw, plugging it using USB input from my PC, the display only shows fixed bitrate (whatever it is i chose on windows audio setting) instead of changing depending on the file im playing. is there a way to bypass this? ( I mainly use spotify)
The E30 polarity issue should have been improved since S / N 2004.

The E30's sampling rate display is because all music is resampled and output to the sampling rate you set in the Windows audio player properties.

If you want to play the original music file as it is, install the Topping driver and play it separately using an audio player such as foober2000.
Original Hi-Res playback is not possible with Windows audio players.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Original Hi-Res playback is not possible with Windows audio players
The Sound Control Panel can be set to 32bit, 384kHz and beyond, so hi-res (>16/44.1) playback is absolutely possible with audio players that use direct sound or Wasapi shared.
But I would use Wasapi exclusive or ASIO anyway.

Aldoszx

I can't answer correctly because I don't know the connection form and playback environment of your E30, but it seems that PCM 44.1kHz is converted to 48kHz somewhere.
I am not using windows to play music. All my DACs are ROON endpoints feeded by linux Roon bridge (Ropieee).
I don't know if the E30 converts 44.1 to 48,0, because that's happening only in DAc mode. Using it in preamp mode displays all sample rates correctly.
I am gonna try to ask Topping about that.

Toku

Major Contributor
The Sound Control Panel can be set to 32bit, 384kHz and beyond, so hi-res (>16/44.1) playback is absolutely possible with audio players that use direct sound or Wasapi shared.
But I would use Wasapi exclusive or ASIO anyway.
The Windows audio system supports up to 384kHz / 32bit, but not more.

Your way of thinking about WASAPI and ASIO is correct.
Windws' audio system processes the signal by working a limiter as the audio signal passes through the mixer. Therefore, in order to output completely as it is, you have to play it with WASAPI or ASIO. I just want to say that.

fritobugger

Not sure anyone has mentioned it but the SMSL P2 Linear Power Supply works with the E30 if you set power port 2 to 5V.

I can't hear a difference between it and a good USB power supply but it does work fine.

Majestyk

I found this interesting Reversed Polarity vs New Firmware comparison on this YT video. The difference is astonishing.

(You'll want to use the chapter stops on the first comment post)

Toku

Major Contributor
I found this interesting Reversed Polarity vs New Firmware comparison on this YT video. The difference is astonishing.

(You'll want to use the chapter stops on the first comment post)

I think they are fake on the net.
For a reliable confirmation method, switch the polarities of the left and right speakers and compare the sounds.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This is hardy controlled test. The measurement position is different for one. Only that can already influence the sound enough to make a difference. Reverse polarity is audible, but it’s very hard in normal music, a bit easier with certain specially selected tracks.

In any case, nothing to worry about, since it has been solved a long while ago.

MrBlitzpunk

so i tried playing with DSD with my E30 using Foobar2000, tried playing DSD128 file, but the display shows 5.64 DSD. did i do something wrong? or is that the correct display for it?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
so i tried playing with DSD with my E30 using Foobar2000, tried playing DSD128 file, but the display shows 5.64 DSD. did i do something wrong? or is that the correct display for it?
DSD128 is 5.64 MHz, so all is good.

PenguinMusic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi,
Would like to write my own impressions about this DAC.
I just got it and plugged it in.
It feeds the brother amp (the Topping L30) which has been given stellar praises from Amirm.

All I can say is following : it might be super "transparent".
If that is what measures say, then it can not be otherwise.
And I can understand that and will not try to say otherwise.

So there is only one conclusion for me : I DON'T LIKE TRANSPARENT SOUND :-(
I'll have to wait to get used to it.
And then proceed with comparison with other devices from AUNE.

But the first impression is not good.
I will not try to describe, I'll just get moquery if I would do that.
But really, I do not like it... maybe just a question of habits ?

Regards.

PenguinMusic

Yes, burn-in is real, but it's a mental component. When the brain goes "This is not what I'm used to!", it often goes directly to "This sounds bad!" :)
Hi,

Thanks for your answer.

Yes, I did not exclude that possibility.

That is why I mentioned that I will have to get used to it.
And then go back to what I was used to before...

Then I'll be able to compare :)

Regards.

Bickle81

Hey all -
Just got my E30 and right of the bat, both the COAX and the Optical inputs have "discontinuation" issues i.e. there's "jumps" during playback :/
- USB works fine
- The issue occurred when playing from 2 different sources so I suspect it's the unit.
- My unit SN is 2104****, if that matters
*I read through the thread as much as I could before submitting here
Has anyone ran into something similar and can shed some light?
I've been waiting for this unit for so long after one got lost on it's way, this sucks.
Thanks

PenguinMusic

Hey all -
Just got my E30 and right of the bat, both the COAX and the Optical inputs have "discontinuation" issues i.e. there's "jumps" during playback :/
- USB works fine
- The issue occurred when playing from 2 different sources so I suspect it's the unit.
- My unit SN is 2104****, if that matters
*I read through the thread as much as I could before submitting here
Has anyone ran into something similar and can shed some light?
I've been waiting for this unit for so long after one got lost on it's way, this sucks.
Thanks
Hi,

Well, sorry I can not help.
But mine is working flawlessly, whatever the input.

As an intuition I would have gone for a problem with power supply.
And would check if the power delivered by the USB port you're using is sufficient.
But if it works in USB, why not in Toslink or Coaxial ?

Who knows ?

Regards.

Top Bottom