• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

d3c4dent

Sorry for my ignorance, I'm trying to follow along. Basically the E30 wont work for systems with a subwoofer, and I need to look for DACs that do? Or have I misunderstood?
A DAC is required when you have a digital source with low quality audio output (say, a laptop) or no audio output at all (a streamer, for example) AND an amplifier which only has audio input (a classic stereo amp, for example). Most DACs only accept stereo input data, and produce 2-channel (stereo) output - thus they are not really suitable for audio which has more than 2 channels.

An AVR, on the other hand, already has a multi channel DAC (6, 9 or even more channels) and can decode multi-channel source material. For more channels than 2, the best option is probably using your AVR's internal DAC. My AVR is a SR7200, and as I can tell, its DAC is not that bad at all ;)

kolestonin

I just noticed that some new drivers are released(V5.27).

Is it generally suggested to install them on top of the existing ones or to follow the uninstall/install routine?

MarkyM

I just got my E30 today. It is replacing a Modi 3 in my desktop DAW whose USB input failed (the coax and optical ins still work so I am using the Modi with a CD player now). I was perfectly happy with the Modi but wanted the sample rate display. Plus the Modi 3 was silver and the rest of my gear in the stack is black.

I am really liking this little DAC! Very nice looking and the orange SR display is cool. And it sounds great! I'm using Filter 1 (Linear Phase Sharp).

I am not using any driver, just plug & play WASAPI in Windows 10. I don't need DSD decoding or ASIO. I use my MOTU M4 ASIO for recording.

FYI...the two devices above the E30 are an SDRplay RSP dx all mode 14-Bit DSP based radio receiver covering 1 kHz to 2gHz and an antenna rotator control box for the LW/MW/SW loop antenna I have connected to it. Below it is the MOTU M4:

Stack.jpg

It really is hard to get a good photo of the E30. It looks much better in real life.

Last edited:

MrBlitzpunk

Hey i was thinking of either getting this or the topping D10s, currently im slightly leaning towards the E30 since it goes well aesthetically with my topping L30 but D10s is also enticing for it's cheaper price. in terms of connectivity im only gonna use the USB input.

The reviews i've read here and there mentioned that E30 performance depended on the kind of power you supply it, here's what concerns me since i don't have any fancy power supply and will probably just power it off of my PC USB, i was wondering if the E30 will be worth it over the D10s if I'm just gonna power them both out of USB

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
The reviews i've read here and there mentioned that E30 performance depended on the kind of power you supply it, here's what concerns me since i don't have any fancy power supply and will probably just power it off of my PC USB, i was wondering if the E30 will be worth it over the D10s if I'm just gonna power them both out of USB

There's most likely no need for concern:

Reviewers like to imagine that PSUs makes a world of difference, but in reality these kinds of DACs are designed to squelch whatever horrors are piggybacking the 5v of the USB supply.

MrBlitzpunk

There's most likely no need for concern:

Reviewers like to imagine that PSUs makes a world of difference, but in reality these kinds of DACs are designed to squelch whatever horrors are piggybacking the 5v of the USB supply.
So doesn't matter what i choose? Or is there a specific pros and cons of having a DAC powered by a dedicated power supply vs USB power? Like more voltage or something?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
E30 runs fine on the run of the mill 5V USB chargers.
The E30 is designed to work on those.
Higher voltage nor current is not needed nor recommended.
It runs on 5V and draws 0.2A (so 1W).

MrBlitzpunk

E30 runs fine on the run of the mill 5V USB chargers.
The E30 is designed to work on those.
Higher voltage nor current is not needed nor recommended.
It runs on 5V and draws 0.2A (so 1W).
thanks for the answer! i'm planning to get them secondhand anyway. so i guess the final deciding factor about which one i choose is whether or not somebody is selling them lol

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Even when new a 5V adapter is not included. Only a (short) power supply cable with USB input. You can connect that to a 5V charger/adapter or a second port on the PV/laptop.

Asma

By the way, the power cable of my topping e30 turned out to be inoperative, I had to make the cable myself. topping companies need to carefully monitor what they release, this also applies to polarity problems.

Attachments

• Ua0421a1823724d239a1634e6308c9205v.jpg
    Ua0421a1823724d239a1634e6308c9205v.jpg
    545.8 KB · Views: 119

goldistan

Can someone please summarize the objective problems with E30 - pops, cracks, forgets volume setting etc'?
I'm not being lazy, it's 264 pages.
How bad are the pops? can they fry a tweeter with 20W power handling when fed from a 500W amp?

MrBlitzpunk

Does the E30 has had any known issue on any specific batch like there was with the L30? Is there a specific batch/serial numbers that i need to avoid? Or is it all good?

Edit: okay, so i've read the thread a bit. And it seems that there was an issue with certain batches. I haven't read enough (and don't have the time to) to see if topping had resolved this and in what batch. So i guess, can someone enlighten me on how has this issue been resolved? Should i get the DAC or not?

Last edited:

Aldoszx

I don't know if it can be called issue, but there is something that is bothering me regarding E30:
in DAC mode, does not display correctly when playing 44.1 kHz files.
It shows 48.0 PCM.
Any other bit rate is displayed correctly, except 44.1 kHz.

Toku

Major Contributor
I don't know if it can be called issue, but there is something that is bothering me regarding E30:
in DAC mode, does not display correctly when playing 44.1 kHz files.
It shows 48.0 PCM.
Any other bit rate is displayed correctly, except 44.1 kHz.
I can't answer correctly because I don't know the connection form and playback environment of your E30, but it seems that PCM 44.1kHz is converted to 48kHz somewhere.

Toku

Major Contributor
Does the E30 has had any known issue on any specific batch like there was with the L30? Is there a specific batch/serial numbers that i need to avoid? Or is it all good?

Edit: okay, so i've read the thread a bit. And it seems that there was an issue with certain batches. I haven't read enough (and don't have the time to) to see if topping had resolved this and in what batch. So i guess, can someone enlighten me on how has this issue been resolved? Should i get the DAC or not?
There was a problem that DSD 2.8MHz could not be played normally in some of the lots at the beginning of the release. This improved shortly thereafter.
This is not a problem, but if you connect it to an amplifier with the E30 set to the maximum gain, you may feel a slight click noise generated from the pop noise prevention circuit that functions when turning the power on and off, switching songs.
Since this noise is generated from the output circuit of E30, it comes out at a constant level regardless of the volume level of E30.
Normally, the input level of the amplifier is lowered, so no noise is felt at that time. But for some people it seems to be a concern.

This symptom is also experienced with products such as D10s D10B and SMSL.
I really like the E30 and have bought 3 of them so far and they are all working fine. So don't worry too much about it.
E50 does not have this click

MrBlitzpunk

There was a problem that DSD 2.8MHz could not be played normally in some of the lots at the beginning of the release. This improved shortly thereafter.
This is not a problem, but if you connect it to an amplifier with the E30 set to the maximum gain, you may feel a slight click noise generated from the pop noise prevention circuit that functions when turning the power on and off, switching songs.
Since this noise is generated from the output circuit of E30, it comes out at a constant level regardless of the volume level of E30.
Normally, the input level of the amplifier is lowered, so no noise is felt at that time. But for some people it seems to be a concern.

This symptom is also experienced with products such as D10s D10B and SMSL.
I really like the E30 and have bought 3 of them so far and they are all working fine. So don't worry too much about it.
E50 does not have this click
I was reading about the early batch having reversed polarity issue, has that been resolved? I don't do DSD so i guess that shouldn't matter. And does that popping noise detrimental for the drivers? If it is, then that's quite a big issue.

I already bought mine used, waiting for it to arrive. Forgot to ask serial numbers so i hope it'll be fine. Btw why do you have 3? I certainly hope it wasn't because 2 of them malfunctioned or something

Toku

Major Contributor
I was reading about the early batch having reversed polarity issue, has that been resolved? I don't do DSD so i guess that shouldn't matter. And does that popping noise detrimental for the drivers? If it is, then that's quite a big issue.

I already bought mine used, waiting for it to arrive. Forgot to ask serial numbers so i hope it'll be fine. Btw why do you have 3? I certainly hope it wasn't because 2 of them malfunctioned or something
I focus more on audio equipment evaluation tests than listening to music. Since the numerical data is provided by amirm, I mainly enjoy the structure and functional tests of audio equipment.
I really like the small E30 and bought 3 different S/Ns: 19XX, 20xx and 21xx. When I usually have enough money, I often buy two sets. Why? I'm often asked, but since I used to work in the design of audio equipment at a manufacturer, I still can't forget that time, and I just want to check the latest technology.

I also know that the input and output phases are inverted. But I don't think that's a big deal. If you are concerned about the phase problem, it should have been improved if the S/N is 21xx.

MrBlitzpunk

I focus more on audio equipment evaluation tests than listening to music. Since the numerical data is provided by amirm, I mainly enjoy the structure and functional tests of audio equipment.
I really like the small E30 and bought 3 different S/Ns: 19XX, 20xx and 21xx. When I usually have enough money, I often buy two sets. Why? I'm often asked, but since I used to work in the design of audio equipment at a manufacturer, I still can't forget that time, and I just want to check the latest technology.

I also know that the input and output phases are inverted. But I don't think that's a big deal. If you are concerned about the phase problem, it should have been improved if the S/N is 21xx.
Do you hear anything off/different between those 3 units? the guy i got my E30 from didn't remember the S/N, but he bought it in January this year. I guess i'll just have to find out once it arrived.

Well if it's inaudible then i wouldn't really mind, but paying for something that's not made 'properly' just kinda suck

Toku

Major Contributor
Do you hear anything off/different between those 3 units? the guy i got my E30 from didn't remember the S/N, but he bought it in January this year. I guess i'll just have to find out once it arrived.

Well if it's inaudible then i wouldn't really mind, but paying for something that's not made 'properly' just kinda suck
I don't feel any difference in sound quality between the three E30s.
The third and newest E30 has an S/PDIF chip changed from AK4118 to CIRRUS LOGIC CS8416 due to an AKM fire. I did a OPT/COAX connection test to see the difference in operation, but all the connected equipment I tested worked fine.

Top Bottom