• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

Nainghsy

May I check whether I can use IOTAVX SA3 LFE port to connect my HS10w sub with RCA to XLR cable? So that I don’t need to purchase new sub for now.

kolestonin

Hello.

My setup is:

Topping E30+SVS SB 1000 PRO sub-woofer+JBL LSR 305 speakers

Windows 10.

I want some advice as this is my first DAC.

I have windows sound level at 100% and my JBL's volume set to 7/10.
Everything is normal when listening to music or watching films but I have an issue in gaming.
Sound is extremely loud.
I have to set master volume to minimum available setting in the game menu and some times sound is still way too loud.
And even if I set it and I am satisfied, the sound will be extremely loud when I load the game during the first screens.
Once loaded and I am fully entered in game it takes my game menu sound settings and it is ok.

I guess this happens cause I use my Topping in DAC mode.

But despite the annoyance I was also a bit worried about my speakers and now I set their volume knots to 5/10.

All I want to know is if there is eventual danger for my sub-woofer.
And of course if there is a workaround that permits me to use my Topping in DAC mode without having this ultra high volume levels when loading a game.

Thanks in advance:)

threni

Major Contributor
Hello.

My setup is:

Topping E30+SVS SB 1000 PRO sub-woofer+JBL LSR 305 speakers

Windows 10.

I want some advice as this is my first DAC.

I have windows sound level at 100% and my JBL's volume set to 7/10.
Everything is normal when listening to music or watching films but I have an issue in gaming.
Sound is extremely loud.
I have to set master volume to minimum available setting in the game menu and some times sound is still way too loud.
And even if I set it and I am satisfied, the sound will be extremely loud when I load the game during the first screens.
Once loaded and I am fully entered in game it takes my game menu sound settings and it is ok.

I guess this happens cause I use my Topping in DAC mode.

But despite the annoyance I was also a bit worried about my speakers and now I set their volume knots to 5/10.

All I want to know is if there is eventual danger for my sub-woofer.
And of course if there is a workaround that permits me to use my Topping in DAC mode without having this ultra high volume levels when loading a game.

Thanks in advance:)

Maybe use the E30 in pre-amp mode, set the volume down to whatever (it'll remember it). Really you can set the volume wherever it's most convenient; it's not going to make a difference to your sub-woofer where you set it.

kolestonin

This means there are no advantages in using DAC mode with my setup?

A bit of quick and basic theory about the 2 modes would be appreciated:)

What are the pros and cons or the suggested use of each mode?

threni

Major Contributor
This means there are no advantages in using DAC mode with my setup?

A bit of quick and basic theory about the 2 modes would be appreciated:)

What are the pros and cons or the suggested use of each mode?
If you spend a lot of time on this and other sites researching the difference you might find people saying that DAC mode is purer - affects the sound less - because it bypasses certain circuitry which might technically alter the signal when comparing vs full volume in pre-amp mode, but when I looked it seemed pretty inconclusive and in any event the difference is probably not detectable by regular humans. Certainly I couldn't tell any difference and as I leave my amp on pretty much full volume and control the volume with the remote it's a moot point anyway. There is no other possible difference between the two modes.

kolestonin

DAC mode is purer - affects the sound less - because it bypasses certain circuitry which might technically alter the signal when comparing vs full volume in pre-amp mode
enough for a big time OCD guy like me:D
No need to read more.
If no harm from a blast of volume can be done to my speakers or my sub I am keeping DAC mode.
I also hope that reducing my JBL's volume to 5/10 will moderate the instant annoyance.

Robin L

Master Contributor
enough for a big time OCD guy like me:D
No need to read more.
If no harm from a blast of volume can be done to my speakers or my sub I am keeping DAC mode.
I also hope that reducing my JBL's volume to 5/10 will moderate the instant annoyance.
Standard potentiometers are more likely to induce distortion than dropping the output level of the E30.

H-RYCAJ

I recently tried hooking up my e30 to my tv. I get a crackling popping noise from my speakers, and it repeats very quickly. I am trying to change the audio output from the tv to PCM only, but I have had no luck. Any other recommendations?

Bickle81

I recently tried hooking up my e30 to my tv. I get a crackling popping noise from my speakers, and it repeats very quickly. I am trying to change the audio output from the tv to PCM only, but I have had no luck. Any other recommendations?
Hey, read my issue above. TL;DR - this device does not play well with SPDIF and TOSLINK inputs...

MrBlitzpunk

Hey, read my issue above. TL;DR - this device does not play well with SPDIF and TOSLINK inputs...
could it also be the because of the TV? i tried plugging my speaker straight to my TV built in 3.5mm jack and it has this loud pops everytime i turn the TV on/off... or maybe that's a problem with the TV built in amp?
So - The company admits older CD players may not be supported. See attached, it's a bit awkwardly translated but TL;DR - Sucks to be me.
FYI anyone who plans to buy this and connect it to an old TOSLINK/ Coax source.
FYI @JohnYang1997
so is it only behaving poorly for older CD players or all Spdif source in general? im planning to buy a bluetooth receiver than could output digital spdif to the E30, might have to hold on that :/

Bickle81

could it also be the because of the TV? i tried plugging my speaker straight to my TV built in 3.5mm jack and it has this loud pops everytime i turn the TV on/off... or maybe that's a problem with the TV built in amp?

so is it only behaving poorly for older CD players or all Spdif source in general? im planning to buy a bluetooth receiver than could output digital spdif to the E30, might have to hold on that :/
I can't say as their response was quite elusive, for me at least. I don't think the word is 'poorly', more a case of 'unpredictably'...

H-RYCAJ

I did some more testing with my TV and e30 and spidf output.

When I am using the plex service, it works perfectly. When I use Netflix or cable, it repeats a rather annoying sound.

Edit: my stereo unit has no digital inputs. I bought the e30, thinking I could use it for this purpose. What are my options to get my system working?

Last edited:

Plcamp

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I did some more testing with my TV and e30 and spidf output.

When I am using the plex service, it works perfectly. When I use Netflix or cable, it repeats a rather annoying sound.

Edit: my stereo unit has no digital inputs. I bought the e30, thinking I could use it for this purpose. What are my options to get my system working?
If you have yet to do it, you ****must**** figure out how to set your tv optical out to PCM out if you want to use it with E30.

MrBlitzpunk

IMG_20220108_060201.jpg

I've been using this power strip to power all of my desktop setup, it has 6 power sockets and 4 usb socket. I thought, "why not plug the E30 to the USB socket and free up the regular socket for something else?" But recently i noticed that if i get close enough and point my ear at a specific angle towards the power strip i can hear some sort of high frequency whirring/beeping noise everytime i plug the E30 into the USB socket. I would likened it to a coil whine but it's a very high frequency noise, almost right at the edge of my hearing (i can hear up to 16-17k) so i doubt my phone mic would pick it up. But it's a very constant and uniform beeps, even when the unit is on standby. As far as i can tell it doesn't impact the actual sound quality of the DAC. And if i used a phone charger plugged into the regular power socket the noise went away. Is this a cause for concern?

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Sounds like the E30 is pulling enough amps from the power strip to make the 5v SMPS noisy. I wouldn't get worried unless the strip starts getting uncomfortably warm to the touch. But then again, I don't know the amperage rating for that power strip. It might shorten the lifespan of the USB outputs if you push them like that.

MrBlitzpunk

Sounds like the E30 is pulling enough amps from the power strip to make the 5v SMPS noisy. I wouldn't get worried unless the strip starts getting uncomfortably warm to the touch. But then again, I don't know the amperage rating for that power strip. It might shorten the lifespan of the USB outputs if you push them like that.
I just checked the store listing, so turns out the USB output is rated at 5V-3.4A 17w. I know next to nothing about electronics so i don't know what to make of that info. Though yeah, no heat to be alarmed of. I guess i shouldn't be worried about the electrical components degrading then? I prefer not having to use the phone charger if possible

Oh also, i noticed that the E30 gets warm. Not warm, warm. But it's always ever so slightly warmer than room temperature even on standby. You know, when touching metal usually it feels cold? Not the case with the E30. I guess it still draws considerable power even when standby? It happens even with phone charger. I was under the impression that DAC shouldn't give off heat. But this is my first DAC so my reference is limited

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I just checked the store listing, so turns out the USB output is rated at 5V-3.4A 17w.

Should be plenty. I'm guessing the 3.4A is shared between the four outputs. Does the strip make the noise even when the E30 is the only USB device plugged in? If that's the case, the 5v PSU in the strip is probably just a crappy design.

fritobugger

The owner's manual says power input is DC5V/1A. How much tolerance is there for the 1 amp? I have tons of 5V USB phone chargers that run anywhere from 800mA to 2A.

Any idea whether more amps is better?

Walter

The owner's manual says power input is DC5V/1A. How much tolerance is there for the 1 amp? I have tons of 5V USB phone chargers that run anywhere from 800mA to 2A.

Any idea whether more amps is better?
800mA might not be enough. 2 amps is fine but probably no better. Unlike voltage, the device will only draw the amount of current (amps) it needs.

Plcamp

Does the E30 have dc isolation on outputs (such that it could be used with a power amp having no input capacitor and dc servo offset control)?

Top Bottom