• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No. It is not for this specific DAC. Your question is about Windows settings in general and goes for all DACS. You should make a separate thread for that because it is off topic. Nothing wrong that you ask those questions, but not in this thread.
The point is it's relevant question since this is a dac. Only thing you do is choosing bitdepth and bitrate. You have very limited interaction with the device. My other question is also specifically targeting this device
1- What is new with the new v4.86 driver.

Like Thomas said:
No, but a separate thread would mean others will find the discussion and the contents might help them. Otherwise it just gets lost and helps no one.

Cheers
It would be more helpful to others if i use seperate thread but it's not necessary and not worth arguing. What you are doing is creating noise and starting argument. Not helpful. Lots of things discussed in this 131 page thread. Go find better things to start an argument if you are bored.

I'm strongly considering buying this with the Topping L30. Quick question for those who own the combination. What is the best way to control the volume? With the E30 volume control or the knob on the L30? Which do you prefer and why? Thanks. Sorry if this is a newbie question. I'm buying my first pair of external DAC/headphone amp combo for my computer.

MadMan

I'm strongly considering buying this with the Topping L30. Quick question for those who own the combination. What is the best way to control the volume? With the E30 volume control or the knob on the L30? Which do you prefer and why? Thanks. Sorry if this is a newbie question. I'm buying my first pair of external DAC/headphone amp combo for my computer.

Either way is fine really, I just prefer using the volume knob on amps because it's close enough in a desktop setting, I'm not fiddling with it constantly anyway, and I'm used to it - I've have had fewer DACs with volume control, while obviously amps have it. There's also nothing wrong with using both or either for convenience, volume control in a DAC simply lowers its output in the end. You may even find it better for yourself to set the DAC to some small -dB value so you get more volume range on the amp.

Either way is fine really, I just prefer using the volume knob on amps because it's close enough in a desktop setting, I'm not fiddling with it constantly anyway, and I'm used to it - I've have had fewer DACs with volume control, while obviously amps have it. There's also nothing wrong with using both or either for convenience, volume control in a DAC simply lowers its output in the end. You may even find it better for yourself to set the DAC to some small -dB value so you get more volume range on the amp.

Sorry, "volume range on the amp"? I don't follow. Based on what you're telling me, I think I'll just max out the volume on the E30 DAC, and then solely use the knob on the L30. I probably wouldn't change the volume on it much either. Ultimately, I want an ideal balance of highest SINAD with loudness volume output.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Ultimately, I want an ideal balance of highest SINAD with loudness volume output.

As JohnYang already mentioned in the L30 thread then set the E30 to DAC mode and use the L30 in the lowest possible gain setting where you can get the volume you want and the right 'volume control range'.
Of course, the E30 has worse SINAD than the L30 in its 'worst' setting. The L30 does not contribute to SINAD of the 'system' except when using really sensitive IEM's perhaps.

Bart

Update on my endeavors to explore SQ improvement of (supposedly weak built-in miniDSP DACs) with E30's.
After successfully setting-up a miniDSP nanoDigi (as active crossover) to four E30's output to ATI 12-channel amp to run 4-channel LXmini speakers and subs... All four E30's have been returned because there was no audible sound improvement over the miniDSP 4x10HD built-in DACs.
It was a good experiment, but ultimately, I found the built-in miniDSP DACs to have more enjoyable midrange and (possibly due to multiple DSPs and necessary gain adjustments to prevent digital clipping) more overall impact. I had hopes there would be significant improvement - alas, it was not so.

Interesting, thanks for the update.

In my setup the NanoDIGI/Topping combo was an upgrade from MiniDSP 2x4 (non HD). A noticeable one, especially in terms of noise floor.

Perhaps a DSP with better specs than NanoDIGI's is needed to justify having a bunch of state-of-the-art dacs, but I wouldn't bother.

MadMan

Sorry, "volume range on the amp"? I don't follow. Based on what you're telling me, I think I'll just max out the volume on the E30 DAC, and then solely use the knob on the L30. I probably wouldn't change the volume on it much either. Ultimately, I want an ideal balance of highest SINAD with loudness volume output.

It just means that moving the amplifier volume control a certain amount will allow you to make smaller, more precise volume adjustments. People will often do this kind of thing if they are using the lowest part of an amplifier's volume adjustment, where there may be more channel imbalance and less fine control.

solderdude is right though, if the lowest amplifier gain provides enough volume (say, you use it between 9 and 3 o'clock on the dial) you can do that.

sjeesjie

This E30 looks to share a lot with the DX3. Does it give a loud bang as well if it switches to stand by?
Maybe I wasn’t clear with my question. With the DX3 in DAC mode, hooked on a power amp with speakers, it produces a loud pop when it switches off. Does this E30 act the same? I’m asking because maybe I’m going to use it in my stereo setup but if it acts the same as the DX3 I won’t bother.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe I wasn’t clear with my question. With the DX3 in DAC mode, hooked on a power amp with speakers, it produces a loud pop when it switches off. Does this E30 act the same? I’m asking because maybe I’m going to use it in my stereo setup but if it acts the same as the DX3 I won’t bother.

DAC on, amp on, amp off, dac off.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I assume the RCA outputs on E30\inputs on L30 are differential?

Differential /balanced? No, would need to be xlr. Or have I missed a definition of differential?

sjeesjie

DAC on, amp on, amp off, dac off.
This is not what I asked, but a workaround. I'm not the only user of my stereo system and the last thing that I want to do is hang a postit note on my dac with instructions for my son and my wife.

My question is: does it make the noise? If yes: I won't even bother.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This is not what I asked, but a workaround. I'm not the only user of my stereo system and the last thing that I want to do is hang a postit note on my dac with instructions for my son and my wife.

My question is: does it make the noise? If yes: I won't even bother.

Maybe nobody can answer the question as going directly into a power amp from dac isn't a good idea if you have people around who might leave it at full volume or switch it off in the wrong order?

vhild§

Having now second thoughts regarding E30 vs D30....I really, really prefer the metallic switchs as opposed to the plastic button on E30.

Edit: Perhaps the button on E30 is glass(?), but my point still stands.

sjeesjie

Maybe nobody can answer the question as going directly into a power amp from dac isn't a good idea if you have people around who might leave it at full volume or switch it off in the wrong order?
Heh that’s funny you say that, as Topping is advertising it just as a pre amp.

Attachments

• 5472306C-2833-4718-9BF0-9F1F0C2AC8E3.jpeg
    5472306C-2833-4718-9BF0-9F1F0C2AC8E3.jpeg
    57.2 KB · Views: 199

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Heh that’s funny you say that, as Topping is advertising it just as a pre amp.

Which it will do just fine if you are careful with how you switch on/ off and dont leave the volume wide open before pressing play. For safety I prefer something with a volume pot, that you can clearly see where the volume is on the dial before pressing play.

There is nothing stopping you leaving the volume knob fully turned up on an analog pre amp either- but I dont think anyone would recommend it.

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have thought that last-on-first-off powering order is common knowledge for the users of audio devices. Maybe if more modern consumer devices feature relay switching or equivalent, it is no longer taught. I think I was taught that in primary school.

Last edited:

sjeesjie

I don’t know exactly why you two keep being distracted from the question whether or not the device gives a loud pop when powering off... Are you feeling offended or something? Don’t be, I don’t want to bash Topping and their products, as a matter of fact I like them a lot.

sjeesjie

I have thought that last-on-first-off powering order is common knowledge for the users of audio devices. Maybe if more modern consumer devices feature relay switching or equivalent, it is no longer taught. I think I was taught that in primary school.
Actually I was thought other stuff at primary school but I’m glad you enlightened me.

Top Bottom