• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

Jave

Last edited:

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
From here:
https://shenzhenaudio.com/collectio...-operation-with-remote-control-hi-res-decoder

It seems to be version 2004+ with "non-reversal polarity"

Maybe they meant "with reverse polarity protection"?

Not sure what it actually means in terms of performance difference
"non-reversal polarity" refers to the absolute phase of the output. Early batches (1st 2 IIRC) had inverted absolute phase while later batches don't. There are many pages of argument about audibility of this with test signals vs. real music, but if you haven't checked whether the rest of your equipment preserves or inverts absolute phase you won't know which would be right in your system anyway. The 'version' you mention is the initial digits of the serial number which appears to be YYMM for production date.

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Can someone explain to me please
1- What is new with the new v4.86 driver.
2- When using windows mixer (normal windows 10 usage, youtube, spotify etc), not using exclusive asio or wasapi, what are the differences between bitrates and bitdepths. Which setting is recommended ? 24 or 32 bit, 44100-384000. I'm not asking if there is an audible difference or not. I'm asking what is going on behind the scene when using Windows 10 and which settings are theoretically best. Which settings causes less upsamping/downsampling etc...

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
2- When using windows mixer (normal windows 10 usage, youtube, spotify etc), not using exclusive asio or wasapi, what are the differences between bitrates and bitdepths. Which setting is recommended ? 24 or 32 bit, 44100-384000. I'm not asking if there is an audible difference or not. I'm asking what is going on behind the scene when using Windows 10 and which settings are theoretically best. Which settings causes less upsamping/downsampling etc...
use 44.1k 24bit

odyo

use 44.1k 24bit
But why ? I'm curious what is going on behind the scene. Why 24 bit better than 32 bit theoretically ?
What happens in these scenarios:
1- 96khz music, 44.1k windows setting
2- 48khz game sound, 44.1k windows setting
3- 44.1k music, 44.1k windows setting
4- 16 bit music, 24 or 32 bit windows setting

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
But why ? I'm curious what is going on behind the scene. Why 24 bit better than 32 bit theoretically ?
What happens in these scenarios:
1- 96khz music, 44.1k windows setting
2- 48khz game sound, 44.1k windows setting
3- 44.1k music, 44.1k windows setting
4- 16 bit music, 24 or 32 bit windows setting
No reason. Just choose one.

AndyLu

Forum Donor
n someone explain to me please

This thread about the E30 does not seem the right place to start a series of general questions about sampling rates and Windows settings (Wasapi/ASIO etc.) in general. I suggest you start a new thread on this forum if you have questions about that.

Edit: Sorry @YohnYang1997 I was first replying to you by mistake ;)

Last edited:

odyo

This thread about the E30 does not seem the right place to start a series of general questions about sampling rates and Windows settings (Wasapi/ASIO etc.) in general. I suggest you start a new thread on this forum if you have questions about that.

Edit: Sorry @YohnYang1997 I was first replying to you by mistake ;)
Well.. this is dac. Pretty relevant question to me.

AndyLu

Forum Donor
Well.. this is dac. Pretty relevant question to me.
No. It is not for this specific DAC. Your question is about Windows settings in general and goes for all DACS. You should make a separate thread for that because it is off topic. Nothing wrong that you ask those questions, but not in this thread.

sjeesjie

This E30 looks to share a lot with the DX3. Does it give a loud bang as well if it switches to stand by?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This E30 looks to share a lot with the DX3. Does it give a loud bang as well if it switches to stand by?

When you say "it" switches to stand-by? The device has a timer/ auto power down? A fault whereby it just shuts down? Or you mean when a human pushes the button?

sjeesjie

When you say "it" switches to stand-by? The device has a timer/ auto power down? A fault whereby it just shuts down? Or you mean when a human pushes the button?
I mean when a human pushes a button or when it goes into auto stand by.

MKW

Update on my endeavors to explore SQ improvement of (supposedly weak built-in miniDSP DACs) with E30's.
After successfully setting-up a miniDSP nanoDigi (as active crossover) to four E30's output to ATI 12-channel amp to run 4-channel LXmini speakers and subs... All four E30's have been returned because there was no audible sound improvement over the miniDSP 4x10HD built-in DACs.
It was a good experiment, but ultimately, I found the built-in miniDSP DACs to have more enjoyable midrange and (possibly due to multiple DSPs and necessary gain adjustments to prevent digital clipping) more overall impact. I had hopes there would be significant improvement - alas, it was not so.

Top Bottom