• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

Asylum Seeker

I'd install UAPP on my phone to know bit perfect but should work without depending on OTG settings on phone.
Yes, UAPP goes without saying...

sjeesjie

I was actually wondering... this unit has one AK4493 right? If it performs so well with the one chip, how comes that some units like the D50s and DX3Pro have two chips? What’s the benefit of that?

Asylum Seeker

I was actually wondering... this unit has one AK4493 right? If it performs so well with the one chip, how comes that some units like the D50s and DX3Pro have two chips? What’s the benefit of that?
The benefit? The maker can charge a higher price. In return, the buyer gets bragging rights. Many see this as a fair deal, a mutually beneficial arrangement.

Others simply make do with a simpler, cheaper single-chip design that is just as audibly transparent but without the bragging rights.

Last edited:

vhild§

It makes you feel good and possibly think you hear a difference. I’m actually considering purchasing a hifi usb-cable. I know it’s crazy, but hey, this is a hobby!

mnemonix

The benefit? The maker can charge a higher price. In return, the buyer gets bragging rights. Many see this as a fair deal, a mutually beneficial arrangement.

Others simply make do with a simpler, cheaper single-chip design that is just as audibly transparent but without the bragging rights.

To be fair to the DX3 and those who have bought it, it provides a headphone amp and bluetooth connectivity so I doubt it's the extra DAC chip that is adding to the modest price increase, and I'm sure owners are buying it for that reason, not the DAC topology. Doesn't explain why Topping chose to put two in it though.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It makes you feel good and possibly think you hear a difference. I’m actually considering purchasing a hifi usb-cable. I know it’s crazy, but hey, this is a hobby!

We will let you if you promise to do a double blind test between it and whatever you currently use ;-)

Taddpole

To be fair to the DX3 and those who have bought it, it provides a headphone amp and bluetooth connectivity so I doubt it's the extra DAC chip that is adding to the modest price increase, and I'm sure owners are buying it for that reason, not the DAC topology. Doesn't explain why Topping chose to put two in it though.

Could that be a reason. Separate lines for the headphone level and the line out?

Alexium

Do you guys think E30 is the best sounding DAC for under $150? Or are there other noteworthy contenders? I need just the line out, headphone amp is irrelevant, and realistically 44 kHz/16 bits is enough.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you guys think E30 is the best sounding DAC for under $150? Or are there other noteworthy contenders? I need just the line out, headphone amp is irrelevant.
Best mix of features and audible transparency, possibly

Top Bottom