• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Let's look at this a different way. What do you think the "pop" is when you turn off a component connected to a power amp switched on and connected to passive speakers?

svgn

Noob question:
I orderd both E30+L30, E30 is on its way, but who knows when I'll get the L30. While I am waiting for the amp, I'd like to use the dac with my cheapass active 2.1 speakers. Can someone confirm if there would be a problem to connect the RCA output of the dac with 3.5mm input of the subwoofer?

Gigabyte GP-S7500
Subwoofer - 24 Watts @ 4 ohms ### 20Hz ~ 120Hz
Satellite - 12 Watts x 2 @ 4 ohms ### 120Hz ~ 20KHz

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company

adolchristin

I've just received a Topping E30 that I'm enjoying quite a bit and I'm going through the manual to familiarize myself with the settings but I can't quite work out how to do two things:
  1. Change the DSD Filter Settings
  2. Perform a factory reset
The FIR button cycles through the PCM filters as I'd expect. For factory reset the instructions say "From the USB input state, press the mute button on the remote control first, then press the standby button. After that, the screen will light up, you can restore factory settings." I assume this means make sure the DAC is not in standby and USB is selected as the input and then press mute and then immediate press power using the remote.

I haven't had any luck with this sequence though. I will say that the E30/L30 stack is a noticeable improvement from my previous A30/D30 stack (especially in desktop footprint!).

Rick CH

I've just received a Topping E30 that I'm enjoying quite a bit and I'm going through the manual to familiarize myself with the settings but I can't quite work out how to do two things:
  1. Change the DSD Filter Settings
  2. Perform a factory reset
The FIR button cycles through the PCM filters as I'd expect.
Play a DSD file and then the FIR button will change the filter.

I just ordered this from Apos Audio with the Topping L30 amp combo. Very excited! Unfortunately, I'll have to use a digital optical cable instead of USB because my computer only has a headphone, line level out, and digital optical output.

Which PC doesn't have USB connection??

Sorry, newbie here. I've never used an external DAC into a computer before. You're saying you can plug and play with USB? Like for example, if I hook it up to my Mac, a new audio output USB option appears in the sound system preferences?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry, newbie here. I've never used an external DAC into a computer before. You're saying you can plug and play with USB? Like for example, if I hook it up to my Mac, a new USB output option appears in the sound preferences output?
Pretty much, yes. I can't speak for macs but on pc, Windows 10, definitely.

yodog

This is not what I asked, but a workaround. I'm not the only user of my stereo system and the last thing that I want to do is hang a postit note on my dac with instructions for my son and my wife.

My question is: does it make the noise? If yes: I won't even bother.

For me, when muting or turning it to stand by mode it does make an audible noise. The mute noise sounds harmless, the stand by noise sounds almost harmless to harmless.

There is one noise that does come up periodically, and not all the time, is when I am actively playing music out my speakers and I am cycling through the FIR (filter) settings. Usually if and when there is a pop, which is not super loud but not quiet, but doesn’t sound friendly... it happens when moving from filter #6 —> back to filter #1.

I have my E30 going directly to my power amplifier.

Asylum Seeker

Plug and Play with Android and OTG cable?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Plug and Play with Android and OTG cable?

I'd install UAPP on my phone to know bit perfect but should work without depending on OTG settings on phone.

Top Bottom