• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

oozy

What are you going to do with that, when the E30 doesn't have a 3.5mm connector?

well i guess it wont work but i also have 2 RCA into 3.5 mm maybe the 3.5mm can get in the back of the atom amp?

kds315

Well, got my E30 (+ P50 linear power source) today, hooked it up between my STAX SRM-T1 (CCS+ECC99 mod) and my iphone with ONKYO Hires player via USB (and Apple Ligthning to USB adapter). Power supply was either 25.000mAh USB battery pack or the Topping P50 power supply via its USB output (suitable cable came with it) and plugged into an AC Power Line filter.

Both both sound quite nice in all original 44.1 - 96 - 176 - 192kHz modes (no upsampling), also quite "black" and no hum on zero.

E30 has a "PRE" and "DAC" mode, quite convenient to also use it as a PRE-AMP with remote control. I tested all the filter modes, but FL-5 (default) sounded best to me.

One weird thing I noticed: when setting the Onkyo HIRES Player set to max output and the E30 set to DAC mode, or PRE mode set to 0.0db attenuation, there is quite some audible distortion (possible some clipping??)! When reducing the Player level to 90% output, OR reducing in PRE mode to -6db sound level (always adjusting the T1-amp to same final sound level heard at my STAX Lamda Nova Signature), then no audible distortion is heard anymore...!

If I play the very same FLAC file using my ONKYO DAC, even at high sound level, none of these distortions can be heard.

Music sample: SANTANA Moonflower "Let the children play" from 0:53 onwards (guitar) or 1:52 (Hammond organ)

Any ideas?

Last edited:

kds315

PS: that relatively expensive (nearly price of the E30) P50 linear supply induces humm into the E30 if powered via one of its 5V/1A USB ports, reversing the AC plug does not solve it! Switching to a USB 25.000 mAh powerpack lets the hum disappear. Classic earth loop via USB I guess...
Guess an USB isolator would be needed...

But nah, I think I'm done with E30 / P50 ---

tglodjo

Regarding last driver update, the archive seems to be broken for me, anyone else have the same issue?
Same for me. Haven't been able to extract the compressed file. I've tried several time and multiple methods. It seems it's corrupted.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
if it's the same driver package that's been discussed in the other topping dac threads it's just a bad .jpg that's in the package. You can extract the individual files other than the jpgs and the driver itself is fine...the jpegs are just adverts I believe.

AndyLu

Forum Donor
Same for me. Haven't been able to extract the compressed file. I've tried several time and multiple methods. It seems it's corrupted.
Just use 7zip to extract the file. You will get a warning, but it will unzip. The updater is fine. There is a picture in the zip which is not OK. Just ignore it. This is already discussed in other threads about the Topping DACS.

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Topping's driver and firmware downloads are also offered through an unencrypted site, which is very unprofessional.

facboy

Topping's driver and firmware downloads are also offered through an unencrypted site, which is very unprofessional.

yes, in this day and age. Windows generally requires the drivers to be signed, which gives you some measure of security, assuming you trust the signer.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
yes, in this day and age. Windows generally requires the drivers to be signed, which gives you some measure of security, assuming you trust the signer.
WhOa! It's wayy better than it was before ... sigh* I was doing tech support on IRCQ for years and the mess was unbelievable. Was flooding the crap outta weird bad peeps too but that's another story. :D

vhild§

Longtime lurker here finally registered :)
I currently use the combination of Topping D30 + Schiit Magni3+ Heresy for headphone listening, but am now rather taken by this E30 although I´m pretty sure I won´t here any diffrence audibly.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Longtime lurker here finally registered :)
I currently use the combination of Topping D30 + Schiit Magni3+ Heresy for headphone listening, but am now rather taken by this E30 although I´m pretty sure I won´t here any diffrence audibly.
Remote control though

micio_mao

Hi, in preamp mode the last volume value remain in memory after power off?
Thank you
Matteo

sjeesjie

There are two versions of the E30 now, is that correct? What are the differences? The thread is too long to read through it all.

Top Bottom