• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX7 Pro+ Review (DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 10 2.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 56 15.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 290 79.7%

• Total voters

Koeitje

Major Contributor
How far are we from the limits of physics with this? Dynamic range must be running into limits soon right?

staticV3

Master Contributor
give me +4 dBu output and I'd buy any of these recent topping DACs instead of my old mytek
o well
?
+4dBu is 1.23Vrms. All of Topping's DACs can output that and more.
If it's the "and more" part that you have a problem with, then I'm happy to tell you that limiting a DAC's output, either via software, or via a built-in hardware volume control is a piece of cake!

elvisizer

?
+4dBu is 1.23Vrms. All of Topping's DACs can output that and more.
If it's the "and more" part that you have a problem with, then I'm happy to tell you that limiting a DAC's output, either via software, or via a built-in hardware volume control is a piece of cake!
wait am I confused? I thought these were -10 dBV outputs? something's getting lost in translation, I had a topping d90SE for a bit and it definitely did not do pro line level output. help! lol

staticV3

Master Contributor
wait am I confused? I thought these were -10 dBV outputs? something's getting lost in translation, I had a topping d90SE for a bit and it definitely did not do pro line level output.
The D90SE does 16.5dBu or 14.5dBV or 5.2Vrms
What amplitude is pro line level output?

Last edited:

Koeitje

Major Contributor
@amirm I might have missed it on the other pages, but I believe this one also has a tube-sound setting? Can you measure what that does? This review states they love it, and I wonder how much distortion it is adding :D.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you, for the review @amirm,
I don't think I have ever seen the 24-bit squarewave bits resolved as well as here on the left.

My inner curious-cat would be very satisifed if you can show that I/O square-wave in a real-time scope view?

staticV3

Master Contributor
so me confused.
Best to get a cheap multimeter and measure your devices' output voltages yourself using a 60Hz, 0dBFS test tone which you can generate using REW.
Should help clear up any signal amplitude related confusion and you might even discover some hidden volume limiters that you didn't know about.
Fyi, I'm using an Aneng AN870 for that purpose. Pretty inexpensive, but very accurate.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
No home runs whatsoever for Topping.

They need to get their house in order with failed products before anyone should be recommending their stuff.
Are you going to post this in every topic about NAD and Marantz also? They release products that are already broken when they leave the factory.

holbob

Well done SMSL! Ahem, technically brilliant engineering as usual. I suspect the marketing decision to remake the same device over and over again is not as brilliant now the cost of living crisis is hitting even middle earners. Hopefully they'll start learning their lesson, and actually changing the product by adding more features.

staticV3

Master Contributor
That's impressive the selection and the price especially!
That's really expensive, actually. Bought mine from Aneng's official AliExpress shop for 44CAD.
AC accuracy compared to a keysight 1252 is here (post #22)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That's really expensive, actually. Bought mine from Aneng's official AliExpress shop for 44CAD.
AC accuracy compared to a keysight 1252 is here (post #22)
Hmmz... very close test results between the Keysight and the 870. :D I'm not surprised there is a disclaimer for the test leads at ~max 48V.

SuicideSquid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I love seeing the couple obvious sour grapes votes. Terrible for a product that costs under $1,000 and measures perfectly in every category?

doc2c

Beautiful performance

I wish topping/smsl/gustard etc would start adding more features rather than trying to marginally improve on their measured performances though

I want HDMI eArc, auto room correction, preset volumes per outputs etc

@JohnYang1997 it's time to creep up on MiniDSP and AVR territories now. With your engineering skills, you guys can make a big name for yourselves in these markets

DonR

Major Contributor
Price is high against other transparent DAC/HP but it is saved by being SOTA and record-breaking for those that want that sort of thing.

Peternz

Another super product. What a gift to people who really care about sound quality rather than hype, brand names, pointless features and fancy styling.

Where are you, Chord? Are you even in this race any more?

Top Bottom