• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX7 Pro DAC and Headphone Amp Reviewed

kiyu

yes, you know bookshelf speakers like this one - https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/revel-m16-speaker-review.11884/

As far as I understood we can use A90/DX7 Pro(not sure) like preamp

as far as I know
DX7 pro and A90 are Preamps, you can't drive a speaker bookshelf unless is a monitor active speaker in that case yes.
the link that you sent me is a normal (passive speaker), so no it won't work, not with Dx7 pro or A90 at least not directly.
for speakers you need like
topping MX 3
https://www.topping.audio/productinfo/398300.html
in that one you can connect speakears directly. other wise you will have to use other source, like in my case I am using a Denon AVR to power Klipsh speakers

ALex_hha

DX7 pro and A90 are Preamps
hmm, as far as I can see from off specs - they are amp + preamp. Isn't it ?

DX7 Pro
DX7 Pro has a "Pre amp" output mode. When you connect to an amplifier, a power amp or an active speaker, you can adjust the volume on the DX7 Pro to solve the system settings in one stop

A90
The NFCA dmodules of A90 are not only able to drive the headphone, but also apply to be pre-amp. When it is in pre-amp node, the 20 ohm SE and 40ohm balanced output impedance are widely suitable for various power amplifiers

ALex_hha

I have a Dx7 pro and I love it, but the problem with high impedance is not so good, especially for your ATH-m50x and a bit for your SRH1840
ATH-m50x it is only 38 ohm. I thought high impedance headphone means 100 ohms+, something like Sennheiser HD800s - 300 ohms or Beyerdynamic T1 2Gen - 600 ohms. Am I wrong ?

JoetheLion

Forum Donor
I'm a little bit struggled and can't decide which setup would be better.

1. DX7 Pro - 600$
2. A90 (500$) and a little bit later D70S (650$) = 1150$

Headphone output of the A90 sounds better - in my ears. The big advantage of the DX7 Pro is that you can control the volume for the headphone and preamp output separately and by remote control. Neither is possible with the A90.

kiyu

hmm, as far as I can see from off specs - they are amp + preamp. Isn't it ?
DX7 Pro / A90

They are Headphone amp , not designed for a passive speakers they won't work.

ATH-m50x it is only 38 ohm. I thought high impedance headphone means 100 ohms+, something like Sennheiser HD800s - 300 ohms or Beyerdynamic T1 2Gen - 600 ohms. Am I wrong ?

did you read the review from Amir ?

" If your headphone has an impedance curve that is a) less than 60 ohm and b) is not flat, then its frequency (for better or worse) may change a bit. "
the problem with high impedance is with the headphones with low ohms like ATH-m50x which is 38 (much lower than 60) so the frequency curve will be affected, probably the same with the sure, but no that much.
there is no problem with HIgh impedance headphones like 200 ohms or more.

gvl

Major Contributor
Checking in as I picked one of these in a search for an all in one unit that my Sabaj D5 sadly wasn't able to fill as it had too much gain for my HD6XXs and subjectively I found its headphone amp to be a tad shrill. While I can't hear any differences between them through my active monitors I find the headphone amp on the Dx7 Pro is much more enjoyable, very clean but no fatigue, can't fault it with high impedance cans anyway. So far looks like a keeper.

RoyB

Forum Donor
Mine will be here tomorrow......Since it is a Silver version, it will sound much more transparent and lifelike with less deception and lower upper level harmonics.......:p

Reactions: Tks

gvl

Major Contributor
Always wanted to play with the sync/async mode on ESS DACs and fortunately there is a setting to put the DAC into sync mode on the DX7 Pro. IMO it removes some of that hint of processed sound flavor that some attribute with ESS DACs, I don't really know what it means perhaps it is due to it performing worse in the sync mode, but the sync mode seems to be a bit easier to listen to and it sounds a tad less lean. Not a controlled test, so take it with a grain of salt.

gvl

Major Contributor
@amirm, do you still have your Dx7 Pro? If so could you run a quick jitter test on the USB input with the DAC running in sync mode? Thanks!

RoyB

Forum Donor
Mine will be here tomorrow......Since it is a Silver version, it will sound much more transparent and lifelike with less deception and lower upper level harmonics.......:p

Well, this DX7 Pro will be returned. I bought it to use as a preamp and a high quality Bluetooth receiver. It does not sound good at all! I'm comparing it to a Yamaha CX800u, Schiit Sega and DOUK P1.......All sound WAY better than the Topping. The DX7 sounds "brittle".....The highs are terrible through the Magnapans and the Klipsch RP600m speakers. On some high notes the Maggies actually ring! The bass is lacking and what bass there is sounds "Fluffy". Uncontrolled and not tight like the other preamps. I tried it through the Dynaco clone tube VTA-ST120 and a refreshed Yamaha M45 in both class A and AB.....Same results with both. My source is exclusively a Bluesound Node2i. Unfortunately the DX7 does not have analog inputs so I can't compare the DX7 DAC with the Bluesound internal DAC. The BlueTooth is even worse. The bluetooth on the DOUK P1 is much more listenable. Hard to believe how good that $109 DOUK P1 tube preamp sounds. Maybe I got a good DOUK and a bad DX7.......Who knows.

gvl

Major Contributor
Good clean DACs can sound "wrong" when coming from less performing alternatives. Klipsch speakers definitely don't help with the highs in such situation. Try putting the DAC in sync mode using the settings.

RoyB

Forum Donor
I've tried everything possible to get this $650 preamp to sound like a $109 DOUK P1......It's just not there. Measures great, sounds bad....The Klipsch RP600M sound amazing in my room with all the other equipment mentioned.

pomfritz

Could someone, please, confirm that the "DAC mode settings" SYNC/ASYNC in user manual corresponds to the feature in yellow below. I think it's related to this (ESS datasheet):
Synchronous Mode (PCM mode only). The DPLL can be bypassed if the incoming PCM audio is synchronous to MCLK with the relationship MCLK=128FSR. This can be enabled via 128fs mode:
Bit[4]
128fs_mode
Enables operation of the DAC white in synchronous mode with a 128*FSR MCLK in PCM normal or OSF bypass mode only.
1'b1: enables MCLK = 128*FSR mode
1'b0: disables MCLK = 128*FSR mode (default)
ess_marq2.jpg

Last edited:

gvl

Major Contributor
^^^ More or less I think. Conceptually it uses the incoming signal to clock the DAC chip and disables ASRC and jitter correction (?) at the same time. Only Topping engineers can definitely say what actually happens. The clock is either the clock recovered from SPDIF or the USB async input clock. I'd say that running the DAC in sync (no ASRC) is the preferable mode of operation if jitter can be kept under control.

pomfritz

We will see, I have sent the question to Topping support. In my case, I want to use 3 of these DACs on SPDIF (AES/EBU from a RME HDSPe AES sound card) for multichannel. That's why, I want the more direct clocking way. I'm ok to do some compromise on jitter as long as there is no audible drift in audio. Actually, I have such a config with 3x Musical Fidelity DACs with no audible issue. World clocked items are too expensive for now.

gvl

Major Contributor
An Okto DAC8 might a better bang for your buck in such application.

pomfritz

Yes, maybe I will go with it. I'm just hesitating in sending line level signals on longer distance for the rears, even if my speakers monitors are connected in XLR.

gvl

Major Contributor
I see. There are other DACs with XLR outputs like the Topping D30 Pro that I think run synchronously with incoming clock, perform similarly and cost less.

Top Bottom