• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX7 Pro DAC and Headphone Amp Reviewed

Tks

Major Contributor
topping dx7 pro, RME ADI-2 DAC FS or matrix audio mini-i pro 3 ? Which have better sound quality ? I have sennheiser hd 660s. For enjoying in music and competitive PC gaming.
All should be more than enough to power your 660S, and all of them are performing at such a high level, it doesn't really matter as you probably won't ever hear the difference (and is why we have them measured with instruments more sensitive than human hearing). The Matrix hasn't been measured so we don't know definitively though with that one.

The only thing you should be looking at with respect to the choices between those three, are features (do you like the build, the look, the options, connectivity, interface options, etc...).

The Topping's cost is so far lower than the others, if you're just looking for sound quality, just get that.

kiyu

Guys
quick one regarding this :
6 ohms "
If your headphone has an impedance curve that is a) less than 60 ohm and b) is not flat, then its frequency (for better or worse) may change a bit."
what about Planar magnetic, for example, Sendyaudio Aiva, those are 32 ohms 96db ( If I remember correctly), so for those, the sound would be changed somehow?
Could this device drive those headphones properly?
Aiva's come with 4.4mm balanced, so that would help with that " issue" or make it worse?

off-topic: it looks like it would be a discount on ali express soon so I might consider getting a D7 Pro :)

Veri

Master Contributor
Planar magnetic headphones tend to have a flat impedance curve, so basically no frequency response change with higher output impedance; so it'll drive them fine! Especially over 4.4mm it'll be a breeze.

Alek1000

Audio-able difference will be very very small for what you have now, the biggest issue with DX7 pro is high output impedance, which is not an issue at all with Sundara and will only have very small impact for HD800s. But if you are going to to get a low impedance dynamic such as Focal headphones later, it will have a pronounced frequency response alteration, which is undesirable in most cases.

You can also buy a DX7 pro first, then add on A90 if needed, there will not be a audio-able difference between DX7 pro + A90 and D90+A90.

OK so first, let me say a big huge THANKS. I read this forum since years, and have found many many enjoyable products, reviews and jokes. Love what you’re doing! :)
sooo topping is the latest evrika found on here. I registered now finally to be able to talk to you because I’ve got a bit confused.
I was just about to order a Topping dx7 pro. When I read a few posts about a problem with low impedance dynamic headphones. I have a pair (my main headphones) of Focal Stellia 35 Ohms, 106dB closed back, now should I worry and start my search from the beginning, what exactly will the problem be with this combo?
In future I’m planing to add a Meze Empyrean.
I was thinking to buy the A90+D90 combo but can’t find anywhere the D90 in stock. And as I saw most of you are very happy with the dx7 pro finally was going to shoot for it...till i saw above post about Focal headphones.

ReaderZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
OK so first, let me say a big huge THANKS. I read this forum since years, and have found many many enjoyable products, reviews and jokes. Love what you’re doing! :)
sooo topping is the latest evrika found on here. I registered now finally to be able to talk to you because I’ve got a bit confused.
I was just about to order a Topping dx7 pro. When I read a few posts about a problem with low impedance dynamic headphones. I have a pair (my main headphones) of Focal Stellia 35 Ohms, 106dB closed back, now should I worry and start my search from the beginning, what exactly will the problem be with this combo?
In future I’m planing to add a Meze Empyrean.
I was thinking to buy the A90+D90 combo but can’t find anywhere the D90 in stock. And as I saw most of you are very happy with the dx7 pro finally was going to shoot for it...till i saw above post about Focal headphones.

I use my focal Elex with DX7 Pro + A90, adding a headphone amp means you don't use the amp section of DX7 pro so the issue of high output impedance is eliminated. I would recommend this combo, for space issue I am currently running DCA Aeon 2C with DX7 pro only and there is no difference to me compared to running it with both DX7 pro + A90.

kiyu

I use my focal Elex with DX7 Pro + A90, adding a headphone amp means you don't use the amp section of DX7 pro so the issue of high output impedance is eliminated. I would recommend this combo, for space issue I am currently running DCA Aeon 2C with DX7 pro only and there is no difference to me compared to running it with both DX7 pro + A90.

Focal Elex 80 ohms.
6 ohms independece x rule 8 times let's say 10 times =60 your headphone is 80 ohms, shouldn't affect it? ( or am I missing something?)
did you actually hear some difference using it directly from the DX 7 pro, without the A90?

apart from that, now with the A30 pro, not sure if the A90 will be needed any more :p but that's for another topic

ReaderZ

Focal Elex 80 ohms.
6 ohms independece x rule 8 times let's say 10 times =60 your headphone is 80 ohms, shouldn't affect it? ( or am I missing something?)
did you actually hear some difference using it directly from the DX 7 pro, without the A90?

apart from that, now with the A30 pro, not sure if the A90 will be needed any more :p but that's for another topic

8 times is just a number, it will still have an impact on the FR, didn't bother to abx. Also factor in you may need to use it with included balanced cable in case the SE one broke(yeah I know, but it's a thing with Elex). That means output is 12 ohm. Most important part is this is for Alek1000, his Stellia is only 35 Ohms.

Alek1000

Thanks for help @ReaderZ
I imagined I would be able to skip the A90+D90 stack but seems, like the DX7pro won’t be my thing. As far as I understand I need to look for amp that has output impedance < 0.1 Ohm. Like you recommend the A90 orrrr maybe a50s or D30pro as well with their respective DACs as I like to keep things in series and the D90 seems a hard catch at these times. :D

ReaderZ

Thanks for help @ReaderZ
I imagined I would be able to skip the A90+D90 stack but seems, like the DX7pro won’t be my thing. As far as I understand I need to look for amp that has output impedance < 0.1 Ohm. Like you recommend the A90 orrrr maybe a50s or D30pro as well with their respective DACs as I like to keep things in series and the D90 seems a hard catch at these times. :D

Since both Stellia and Empyrean are easy to drive, A50s make most sense out of the 3 as it's much cheaper than the other 2 and still delivery a lot of power though balanced out if you do need extra power down the line. Then again consider the headphones you own, the price of these amps and corresponding DAC likely not an issue.

SRKRAM

Forum Donor
Thanks for help @ReaderZ

There will be an impact on frequency response, but relatively small. The graph below shows the impact on frequency response with various amp impedances. The lowest value shown is 10ohms, which is quite close to the balanced output of the DX7 Pro. Less than 1 dB shouldn't be noticeable.

1617265149809.png

SeikON

Eu users said that the DX7 Pro did not work after few days, and it started working again with a little correction on the board.
Is the problem still happening?

bsilverberg

Quick question: is the audio output to both the Balanced XLR and Unbalanced RCA connections simultaneously? I need a DAC that will output to both Balanced XLR and Unbalanced RCA at the same time. Thanks!

Bjoran

Forum Donor
Quick question: is the audio output to both the Balanced XLR and Unbalanced RCA connections simultaneously? I need a DAC that will output to both Balanced XLR and Unbalanced RCA at the same time. Thanks!

According to the manual, there are 3 different settings for Line Out:
RCA only
XLR only
RCA and XLR simultaneously

So, the answer is yes.

ALex_hha

I'm a little bit struggled and can't decide which setup would be better.

1. DX7 Pro - 600$
2. A90 (500$) and a little bit later D70S (650$) = 1150$

I'm planning to listen primary in headphones (Shure SRH1840/Hifiman Sundara/Audio-Technica ATH-M50x)

So my questions are:

1. Which setup would be better?
2. Any advantages of A90 + D70S in case of using with bookshelf speakers, something like Revel M16/KRK Rokit 7 ?
3. Is there any sense to buy external dac like D70S and connect it with DX7 Pro ?

P.S.
MQA support not a must, but will be a plus

Thanks in advance

kiyu

1. DX7 Pro - 600$

I'm planning to listen primary in headphones (Shure SRH1840/Hifiman Sundara/Audio-Technica ATH-M50x)

So my questions are:

2. Any advantages of A90 + D70S in case of using with bookshelf speakers, something like Revel M16/KRK Rokit 7 ?
3. Is there any sense to buy external dac like D70S and connect it with DX7 Pro ?

P.S.

Thanks in advance

Hi Alex,

I am a bit new in this forum, so take my advice lightly and wait for guys with more experience.
if you are willing to spend 1150$ there are a lot of options for you.

I have a Dx7 pro and I love it, but the problem with high impedance is not so good, especially for your ATH-m50x and a bit for your SRH1840. Sundara should be fine as planar magnetic are not affected (as far as I know).

A90 is like a lot of power, and for the ones that you have you don't need that amount of power.
you could go like:
Gustard x16 + h16
SMSL su 9 + SH9
D70s + A30 pro.
D30pro +A30 pro.
and many many more.

If I sold my Dx7 pro I would go with SMSL-su9 (MQA supported) + A30 pro but that is a personal pick.

mrbungle

1. DX7 Pro - 600$

So my questions are:

P.S.

Thanks in advance

Looks like RME Adi-2 DAC fs is also in your budget. It’s powerful enough for the cans you listed and I really enjoy the DSP features. I’m doing basic EQ in Roon, but having the two bass and treble knobs as well as crossfeed easy accessible on the remote when fine tuning is needed is really nice. Don’t have any experience with speakers. But love my Dx7 Pro with the Arya as well.

ALex_hha

I have a Dx7 pro and I love it, but the problem with high impedance is not so good, especially for your ATH-m50x and a bit for your SRH1840. Sundara should be fine as planar magnetic are not affected (as far as I know).
Have you used it to drive any speakers ?

kiyu

Have you used it to drive any speakers ?
speakers ? I have it connected to my Denon with RCA, but not sure what do you mean by speaker
I was talking about high impendance for headphone output
I might missed something :p

Top Bottom