• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX7 Pro DAC and Headphone Amp Reviewed

renoxd

Is there anyone here from Topping who reads this? Can someone explain to me why most companies (like Audiolab, Marantz, Arcam and more) adjust to the inadequacies of TV production companies but Topping can't? @JohnYang1997 Maybe you? I apologize if I have mixed up people

Why Topping devices cannot accept more distorted signal in a normal way without signal drops... this is soooo annoying

Last edited:

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
DX7 pro plus

Alou

The order of the seven filters in the review of the DX7 Pro has been questioned. So, I sent an email to the Topping Support and asked them if the order of filters is correct in the manual for the DX7 Pro. They answered very quickly and the answer was that the order (1 to 7) in the manual is incorrect.
And now I can see that they have uploaded a revised manual for the DX7 Pro.
It can be downloaded from the same place as before: http://www.tpdz.net/support.html
The order of the seven filters is now the same as for the DX7s.
@amirm has done a correct measurement but unfortunately the texts he got from the manual were in the wrong order.
So filter 3 is the default and proper so to speak setting ?Its an older thread but i went back and read the manual and got qurius!

Last edited:

Alou

Until someone tests and measures the plus version, there is another option.
There is a panic to quickly sell off old stocks of the pro version, both new and used.
Pick one up for cheap, and get a Topping L30 II headphone amp!
The DAC section of the pro, is fantastic, & according to a recent review, the L30 II is a fantastic headphone amp at $150 retail.
Doubt one can get a better combo for less than $1000.
Doesnt DX7pto have a Headphone amp , i Have a Dx7 pro and its very good at it, why add a second amp like the L30II ,just asking .

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Doesnt DX7pto have a Headphone amp , i Have a Dx7 pro and its very good at it, why add a second amp like the L30II ,just asking .
Because the output impedance is 10 ohm and 20 ohm which is not good for most low impedance headphones and less they are plantar magnetic and don't have any impedance response curve.

Alou

Ok thanks for explaining but if you use regular headphones i guess it doesnt matter does it ? Arent lower ohm headphones easier to drive?

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Ok thanks for explaining but if you use regular headphones i guess it doesnt matter does it ? Arent lower ohm headphones easier to drive?
If you use "regular headphones" with "lower ohms" it actually does matter as the higher output impedance of the amp affects the response of the headphones changing the sound and usually lowering the fidelity.
This is why you would use the DX7 to drive another amp... for years I used my DX7 to drive the THX AAA 789 because it is a perfect amp for driving basically any headphones.

Alou

It seems reasonable but it also depends on how demanding the headphones you use are , but like you said if you have one that can drive anything you are ok.
I use the dx7 pro as a dac preamp and very rarely as a headphone amp ,but once oretwice i didnt have the time to investigate further with external amp but for a pair pf dt770 80 ohms and 250ohms sounded very good and crisp compared to the amps i use in the studio (Grace Audio ,spl etc) .

Jimster480

Major Contributor
It seems reasonable but it also depends on how demanding the headphones you use are , but like you said if you have one that can drive anything you are ok.
I use the dx7 pro as a dac preamp and very rarely as a headphone amp ,but once oretwice i didnt have the time to investigate further with external amp but for a pair pf dt770 80 ohms and 250ohms sounded very good and crisp compared to the amps i use in the studio (Grace Audio ,spl etc) .
Well neither of those headphones would have issues with the output impedance as their impedance is too high.
The impedance problem is especially prevalent in sensitive iems with balanced Armature drivers.

Since your headphones are both more than 8x output impedance; they won't have a problem. Other than that the amp is quite good.

Alou

Thanks for the details ,well no i dont use armature dirvers and i believe most of these are in the IEM type series ,no i dont feel comfortable with these or any type of in ear headphones or monitors ,might sound strange but the hurt my ears after a while not so much the sound but they sence of pressure fit in the ear canal.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Thanks for the details ,well no i dont use armature dirvers and i believe most of these are in the IEM type series ,no i dont feel comfortable with these or any type of in ear headphones or monitors ,might sound strange but the hurt my ears after a while not so much the sound but they sence of pressure fit in the ear canal.
Yep, lots of people have issues with IEMs. They are uncomfortable for me for long periods but I use them with BT headphones for outside work using ANC.
If you aren't using IEMs then you don't have BA drivers in your headphones typically. I haven't personally seen an over ear with BA drivers so its not an issue :)

GaryH

Major Contributor
I mean the spuriae between the multitone signals at 90 and ~200 Hz at -70 dB and others between the following 3 higher multitones, cf. with e.g. below which has none of that:

Screenshot_20221031_085211.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom