• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX7 Pro DAC and Headphone Amp Reviewed

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor

nitinvaid20

I need to ask few things what is PO? when its showing
USB>PO
USB>P+L

and what does FIR do? PCM FIR 1 ,2 ....7

what is the meaning of all 3 options

earlevel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I need to ask few things what is PO? when its showing
USB>PO
USB>P+L

and what does FIR do? PCM FIR 1 ,2 ....7

what is the meaning of all 3 options
Was hoping someone would answer first since I don't have time to bring up the manual, but basically...

PO is headPhone Output (only), P+L is 'Phones and Line outputs active simultaneously.

FIR (Finite Impulse Response—a specific form of digital filter, here referring to one that has no feedback) is just a filter choice. Various tradeoffs in steepness and aliasing, linear phase versus minimum phase. If one sounds better to you, use it, if they sound the same don't worry about it.

kiyu

Did anyone try Topping Dx7 pro + Beyerdynamics DT 1990 pro ?
does it have enough juice for that headphones? unfortunately DT1990 pro is SE only :(

Leonhardt

Hello,

Using this dac/amp with the Denon AH-D7200 for several weeks now, is the purchase of an amplifier necessary?

In low gain, I am between -35db and -55db

Impedance of my headphones : 25ohm
Sensitivity : 105 dB/mW

kiyu

Hello,

Using this dac/amp with the Denon AH-D7200 for several weeks now, is the purchase of an amplifier necessary?

In low gain, I am between -35db and -55db

Impedance of my headphones : 25ohm
Sensitivity : 105 dB/mW

Quote from Amir's review
" If your headphone has an impedance curve that is a) less than 60 ohm and b) is not flat, then its frequency (for better or worse) may change a bit. "

but then 25 ohms you can move that anywhere you could compare it with anyother device and check if you hear a difference or search on internet if you find the impedance curve for your model is flat or not.
(but I am still a newbie soo take that in consideration I could be mistaken)

I tried to avoid IEMS on the DX7 pro because of that Iems are usually 16/32 ohms.
I might go with A 30 pro, but still not sure if worth it or not just because of that High impedance output.

Leonhardt

1623433302553.png

Thanks for your answer.

I don't know if it's worth getting a Topping A30pro or A90 since I've read some tests that recommend a headphone/IEM > 16ohm for the dx7 pro.

kiyu

View attachment 135061

Thanks for your answer.

I don't know if it's worth getting a Topping A30pro or A90 since I've read some tests that recommend a headphone/IEM > 16ohm for the dx7 pro.

sorry mi idea of the A30 pro, is because my idea is to get a some headphones with time ( the main goal will be, Sundara, Zeus, DT 1990, 660s, gold planar 2000, maybe 6xx+ Plus a couple of Iems) so as the idea is to get many, I might got for a headphone amp, because of that, if I will stay with my HD 58x I will just keep the amp on the Dx 7 pro and will be happy with it
I guess if your idea is just enjoy your Denon AH-D7200 then not sure if will worth spending more money on another amp, just for the high impedance.

tarkus

My remote stopped working completely, none of the buttons work at all.

Replaced the AAA batteries, mashing buttons directly in front of the unit.

Anyone have any similar issues and have a possible fix?

EDIT: just wanted to note the red light on the remote is flashing, suspect fault with the main unit?

Last edited:

RFox

DX7Pro vs D70s ?!?

I'm trying to replace an older yet reliable Fiio E09K/E17 Combi together with Adam Audio A5X active near field monitors and a Sub 7 (2.1 setup)

I've been watching many reviews and reading a bunch about these products - and in mid 2019 I tried a DX3Pro, but was underwhelmed and sent it back. From what I can read, I suspect I'd be happier with the AKM based D70s - but open for suggestions / comments / feedback

I can now get either the D70s or Dx7Pro for same price of €649 - really unsure which to get and which has more bang for the buck ?!?! Really torn between the two . . .

Any feedback welcome - and Stay Safe!

Last edited:

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
DX7Pro vs D70s ?!?

I'm trying to replace an older yet reliable Fiio E09K/E17 Combi together with Adam Audio A5X active near field monitors and a Sub 7 (2.1 setup)

I've been watching many reviews and reading a bunch about these products - and in mid 2019 I tried a DX3Pro, but was underwhelmed and sent it back. From what I can read, I suspect I'd be happier with the AKM based D70s - but open for suggestions / comments / feedback

I can now get either the D70s or Dx7Pro for same price of €649 - really unsure which to get and which has more bang for the buck ?!?! Really torn between the two . . .

If you don't need a powerfull headphone amplifier the DX7Pro will be fine. Btw on Audiophonics The DX7Pro and the D70s are both priced 603.99 Euro.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
DX7Pro vs D70s ?!?

As you can read in my review in this thread I'm very happy with the dx7pro. What puzzles me is that you tried the dx3pro before but were underwelmed. If there is an audible difference between dacs of the same brand it's most probably in the preamp part. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to tell an akm from an ess dac. My best guess is that the preamp wasn't powerfull enough or that you don't like a dac/pre that doesn't impose a sound of its own.

RFox

As you can read in my review in this thread I'm very happy with the dx7pro. What puzzles me is that you tried the dx3pro before but were underwelmed. If there is an audible difference between dacs of the same brand it's most probably in the preamp part. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to tell an akm from an ess dac. My best guess is that the preamp wasn't powerfull enough or that you don't like a dac/pre that doesn't impose a sound of its own.

Interesting, only because at present I have a Fiio E09K amp in combination with an Alpen E17 to drive my Adams A5X active near field monitors and a Sub7 from Adam as well. I found the DX3Pro too "siblant" or "brittle" as some say (using same source music) E09K/E17 Combo

mrbungle

Great !! Now I just need to know which one is best for that price :rolleyes:

Are you planning to get an external amp anyways? Or do you ask if the Dx7pro is sufficient over a D70s stack? Or did you miss that the Dx7pro is a DAC/Amp, while the D70s is a DAC?

With a balanced cable, the pro will drive almost every headphone. If you plan to use lots of different headphones including sensitive IEMs, get a stack. Otherwise save the money for the extra amp and cables and go with the pro.

Top Bottom