• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX7 Pro DAC and Headphone Amp Reviewed

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Windows 10 Groove is an audio player that uses the Windows audio engine.
The sampling rate of all songs is resampled to the sampling rate set in Windows and output. Therefore, it cannot be played back at the original sampling rate of the song.
Your PC's Windows is set to 44.1kHz resampling so it will always play at 44.1kHz.
The Windows audio engine also compresses all songs with a limiter action to prevent saturation in the mixer. So the sound will definitely get worse.
To play the song files under the original conditions, I recommend installing Topping's driver and playing ASIO on an audio player.
Is ASIO necessary for the DX7 Pro? The Foobar site seems to caution against its use.

Tks

Major Contributor
Oh I should have specified! I already have replacement cables for my HD6XX that have a XLR balanced jack. I meant for the G560 speakers. Are you saying I should use the XLR 3-pin rather than the RCA or are you saying that it won't matter if I choose either?

Use RCA, it's simpler and cheaper in terms of cables. XLR should only be used on devices that support balanced, and such. Otherwise you're just wasting money for no reason.

The G560 have an Aux in (3.5mm input) so a simple RCA to 3.5mm adapter will suffice.

jlm70

Just an info: I'm considering if to buy a DX7 Pro or D90, and I'd like to know if it would be possible to connect my old Pioneer DV-868AVi SACD player, though its digital S400 i.Link (firewire) SACD connector to the HDMI LVDS IIS input. Just to "reuse" my library of over 70 original SACD's...

dartinbout

One of the prime reasons I got the DX7 Pro was to feed DSF\DSD, via usb, out the XLR's, into my pre-pro and push my amp\speakers to an achievable plateau. Glorious mission accomplished for a financial pittance compared what is normally considered "audiophile" equipment. My secondary reason was to roll some op-amp gusto. I dropped a set of dual Burston V6 Vivid's in today. Holy Handjobs, Batman! DSD\DSF in it;s unadulterated glory! Bit perfect asio output. I know it sounds like I'm listening to the tech rather then the music but I'm excited. Kenny Burrell and Coleman Hawkins trading licks in what I can only describe as "Lusty".

Lobo_M

Form many weeks I try to find setup to upgrade my RPi3+allo boss. Goal is a SQ. Almost every day/week after reading new topics I have new idea:facepalm: I don’t and i can’t test every DAC at home. Thats why I try to read as much as it possible to “filter” potencial winner.
yo be honest I have bigger and bigger mix in my head. I was thinking about many DACs:
-sabaj d5, because of ess pro series inside, but ikm not sure is implementation is good.
- almost all toppings beggining from d50s, d70, d90, right now even dx7.
- matrix element I with streamer included,

a few page ago I read that every good dac sounds the same... even bigger mix in my head. After this I started to thinking that maybe I should focus more on a source. It means change my RPi3, to RPi4 (separate LAN from USB output) or even thing about Allo brigde signature...

what I want? I want the best SQ for around 1k$. I will move from spotify Tidal hifi and Wife and kids probably still will use spotify). I don’t need headphones amp. I use only stereo speakers based on Seas excel 8” and Scan-speak illuminator. it would be nice to have BT.

Veri

Master Contributor
what I want? I want the best SQ for around 1k$. I will move from spotify Tidal hifi and Wife and kids probably still will use spotify). I don’t need headphones amp. I use only stereo speakers based on Seas excel 8” and Scan-speak illuminator. it would be nice to have BT.
I'd recommend you the matrix streamer since it is within budget and it offers a lot of bang for buck. Then you can stop doing all those comparisons and rest easy you got one of the best all-in-one boxes out there ;)

Lobo_M

Only thinkwhat stop me is functionality. I read that there is a problem with spotify, no spotify connect aplication, supporting only tidal.

Lobo_M

There is also matrix mini on a way. With BT but lower class ESS chip. will I hear a difference? Don’t think so

Veri

Master Contributor
There is also matrix mini on a way. With BT but lower class ESS chip. will I hear a difference? Don’t think so
Yeah it looks pretty great, too. It's just very new so haven't seen any reviews, yet.

What do youthink about this one, compare to matrix element
https://www.minidsp.com/products/streaming-hd-series/shd-studio
Seems like a good choice if you're going to play with its room correction... but notice, it has no analog outputs, it needs to be connected to a DAC!

Lobo_M

I have no time preasure, so I can wait. Matrix mini 3 PRO has USB C instead of old type.

Hmm, haven't seen it that DSP Studio is not a DAC, so DSP Studio is kicked out from my list.

Can we say that DAC level in Matrix mini Pro is the same level like Sabaj D5? Or Matrix is better with ESS chip implementation? Sabaj cost 400$ +RPI4 40%=450$ set, versus Matrix mini pro 970$. double price. I wondering if it is worth... Matrix looks perfect, has everything BT MQA etc hmmm again confused

Veri

Master Contributor
Sabaj with its ESS9038 should perform similar if not identical, but Matrix has more features. I think they are working on Spotify support but currently not yet available. In any case as a streamer it is a really nice product.

Last edited:

ReaderZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have no time preasure, so I can wait. Matrix mini 3 PRO has USB C instead of old type.

Hmm, haven't seen it that DSP Studio is not a DAC, so DSP Studio is kicked out from my list.

Can we say that DAC level in Matrix mini Pro is the same level like Sabaj D5? Or Matrix is better with ESS chip implementation? Sabaj cost 400$ +RPI4 40%=450$ set, versus Matrix mini pro 970$. double price. I wondering if it is worth... Matrix looks perfect, has everything BT MQA etc hmmm again confused

Why mini pro and not element i?

Lobo_M

Why mini pro and not element i?
Mini 3 pro has more functionality BT 5.0, MQA, power supply probably will be linear, wifi 2,4 & 5GHz. element has better ess chip, but in my opinion it will be impossible to hear a difference.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anyone know why the bluetooth is ON while the DX7 pro is OFF? Is there a why to contact Topping to fix it?

Is the DX7 Pro switched off via the switch on the rear or in standby mode via the multi-function button on the front?

Is the DX7 Pro switched off via the switch on the rear or in standby mode via the multi-function button on the front?
It's standby mode. But the bluetooth module is still working while standby. I think it would be a quick fix for firmware.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's standby mode. But the bluetooth module is still working while standby. I think it would be a quick fix for firmware.

Having Bluetooth on during standby may be a desired feature. Does the DX7 Pro wake when it detects a Bluetooth signal? (I have Bluetooth disabled.)

Having Bluetooth on during standby may be a desired feature. Does the DX7 Pro wake when it detects a Bluetooth signal? (I have Bluetooth disabled.)
I am not sure if it's designed to work like this.

Actually, it always connects to my iphone whatever it's in standby or power on. When a call picked up in or play a video/audio, it automatically transfers to the DX7 Pro as a default audio interface. I guess the DX7 pro grasps the iphone, because I tried to use airpods sometimes and minutes later DX7 pro will switch the connection again. However, if the DX7 pro is not on bluetooth input mode, it will not sound. So you might not figure out this problem easily. That's the most uncomfortable part of the bluetooth.

I suspect the DX7 pro always sends play/connect command to paired bluetooth device. It doesn't allow users to switch to different bluetooth device. Whatever if you select the DX7 Pro in bluetooth input, it will alway occupy your paired device. The only solution currently is to let my iphone forget the DX7 pro.

Additionally, the DX7 bluetooth is only available for pair while using the back power button to turn on (physically power off and on). That's inconvenient.

Top Bottom