• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX7 Pro DAC and Headphone Amp Reviewed

ReaderZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Mini 3 pro has more functionality BT 5.0, MQA, power supply probably will be linear, wifi 2,4 & 5GHz. element has better ess chip, but in my opinion it will be impossible to hear a difference.

You may very well able to hear the high output impedance with many headphones, may have other quirks, I would at least wait for 3rd party measurements.

Lobo_M

You may very well able to hear the high output impedance with many headphones, may have other quirks, I would at least wait for 3rd party measurements.
I’ll not use it for HP, only XLR connection to Musilac Fidelity amplifier. MA will be my streamer with DAC.
I can always receive it in 14 days

smallricey

Amir tested with Ether CX which is a planar correct? So it wouldn't be affected by the output impedence.
What kind of realistic problem will I see with Focal headphone (32ohm)? Is the only difference that it would change the sound signature?

Especially with the balanced output (12ohm) Would I be completely fucked?

According to this article
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/focal/elear/

it seems like I would just be getting a slightly better bass response, which is not a bad deal for elegia.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
What kind of realistic problem will I see with Focal headphone (32ohm)? Is the only difference that it would change the sound signature?
Especially with the balanced output (12ohm) Would I be completely fucked?
Yeah, that's not ideal. Especially from balanced output, you'll be noticing some inflated bass response. It's up to you whether you would like that of course! ;)

smallricey

Yeah, that's not ideal. Especially from balanced output, you'll be noticing some inflated bass response. It's up to you whether you would like that of course! ;)

Hopefully that will be end up the case, else they are going back and the wait game continues. Thanks

So I did that calculation it's gonna be 1.37db of bass boost running balanced vs <1 db using SE.
So it might not be not bad, exciting.

Last edited:

smallricey

Update:

I got my Elegia, and by calculation theoretically DX7 pro's balanced output would increase the 50-150hz range by 1.4db.
I feel that there's nothing wrong it. So, I'm currently running blanaced output.

I have an additional questions on D7 Pro and I don't see it on the manual.
Can I plug both headphone outs (6.3mm + XLR) and switch between these 2 outputs?
I am currently running an old external amp through RCA, so I can switch between headphone out and RCA line out.
However, I would hope to run both headphone using the DX7 pro amp, since it's more powerful.

ASR REEZY

Currently have the DX7 Pro, nothing's wrong with it, but starting to feel like it doesn't meet my needs and may complicate things further in my audio journey. Have been into headphones for about 15 years. Started off with the Fiio E17, which I was still using to this day. Got the DX7 Pro at a good price, but then found out about the high impedance being a potential issue with some phones.

Few questions: Is this an issue at low gain? I haven't heard any issue (6.33mm out) with budget/non-demanding headphones, such as Portapro, AKG K371, ER2XR. LCD-1 also sounds great. Plan to do some higher end ZMF/Campfire Audio/Audeze in the future. If I switch Gain to high should I be worried? Any headphones to avoid running balanced because of the high impedance? Sensitive IEMs a no go??

Balanced is actually not that important to me. For sure I'll try it if it's there, but well implemented unbalanced has worked for me for years.

For me what's more important is ease of use/footprint, I prefer the combo units for this reason, and I especially like that the DX7 Pro wakes up when I turn my computer on. I could do a stack, currently looking at the Modius for the DAC and then I'll have the option to do a balanced amp in the future if I really wanted, but I really want an amp that's going to work with anything I plug in. I don't want to have an issue with the most sensitive of headphones and I don't want to have an issue of running out of amp power for demanding headphones.

Any advice either all in one or stack?

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Currently have the DX7 Pro, nothing's wrong with it, but starting to feel like it doesn't meet my needs and may complicate things further in my audio journey. Have been into headphones for about 15 years. Started off with the Fiio E17, which I was still using to this day. Got the DX7 Pro at a good price, but then found out about the high impedance being a potential issue with some phones.

Few questions: Is this an issue at low gain? I haven't heard any issue (6.33mm out) with budget/non-demanding headphones, such as Portapro, AKG K371, ER2XR. LCD-1 also sounds great. Plan to do some higher end ZMF/Campfire Audio/Audeze in the future. If I switch Gain to high should I be worried? Any headphones to avoid running balanced because of the high impedance? Sensitive IEMs a no go??

Balanced is actually not that important to me. For sure I'll try it if it's there, but well implemented unbalanced has worked for me for years.

For me what's more important is ease of use/footprint, I prefer the combo units for this reason, and I especially like that the DX7 Pro wakes up when I turn my computer on. I could do a stack, currently looking at the Modius for the DAC and then I'll have the option to do a balanced amp in the future if I really wanted, but I really want an amp that's going to work with anything I plug in. I don't want to have an issue with the most sensitive of headphones and I don't want to have an issue of running out of amp power for demanding headphones.

Amir will be testing the DAART Yulong Aquila II in the next month.

Martin

ASR REEZY

Amir will be testing the DAART Yulong Aquila II in the next month.

Martin

This looks interesting!

Yeah I think I speak for many people, that the proposition of an all-in-one unit that plays well with all phones and has no glaring downsides (such as high impedance, or one output vastly inferior to the other, or absolutely abysmal noise) is the goal here. Will stay tuned for that review.

Patrick1958

Forum Donor

You could add the Topping A90 to your DX7pro, ample power.

smallricey

Isn't the SML M500 or sabaj D5 basically the same as DX7Pro yet have near 0 impedance?

Do you know the answer to this question?
"Can I plug both headphone outs (6.3mm + XLR) and switch between these 2 outputs?
I am currently running an old external amp through RCA, so I can switch between headphone out and RCA line out.
However, I would hope to run both headphone using the DX7 pro amp, since it's more powerful."

ASR REEZY

You could add the Topping A90 to your DX7pro, ample power.

I did consider using DX7 Pro as a pure DAC - but it has a $600 value and I'd only be using it for the DAC portion. The Modius measures well and would only be USB powered only, freeing up a plug for another amp.

I don't know. I'll have to weigh on it a bit more!

Sektor7G

I have been lurking around these parts for a while reading up on all the useful info you guys have been sharing about the two units I was considering purchasing, (The Topping DX7 Pro and the Sabaj D5,) so thank you guys for that. After what I though was the correct decision to make I bought a Sabaj D5 from Amazon and it ended up dying on the first day after only a few hours of use. Fortunately, I got my money refunded and ended up purchasing a DX7 Pro from Apos Audio. I could not be happier with my decision to spend the extra money from the Sabaj D5. This unit is just simply awesome in contrast to its selling price. There might be better sounding units out there costing more, but for the price point, I don't think it gets any better than this.

Here's a bit of advice for anyone considering getting a new Topping DX7 Pro, Amazon currently has a 5% savings coupon on the DX7 pro (that's $569.99!!) Please note, I'm not sure if this 5% coupon is for Prime members only, so your experience may be different. If you do see the Amazon discount you should send Apos Audio a price match request and they might be able to match it, you might have to show some proof with name or an address match, I'm not sure how they handle each case, in my case they did, so your experience may vary. Also, their shipping was lightning fast, with an express shipping option, my new DX7 Pro got to my hands in 3 business days. Thanks again to all you guys on these forums who actively participate and help the rest of us with useful information specially @amirm, dude, you are awesome, keep up the good work.

Attachments

• topping.JPG
    topping.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 229

odyo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I did consider using DX7 Pro as a pure DAC - but it has a $600 value and I'd only be using it for the DAC portion. The Modius measures well and would only be USB powered only, freeing up a plug for another amp.

Seriously you can buy Modius and Magnius. Topping products are mostly overpriced.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Seriously you can buy Modius and Magnius. Topping products are mostly overpriced.

Well thats a slightly contrary statement- you've contrasted a product at the top end of Topping's range with a stack at the lower end of Schiit's. I could point to a dac/amp stack at the top of Schiit's range weighing in at a few thousand dollars and contrast with the better performing DX7 pro and say Schiit's products are mostly overpriced.

HiFiHonu

I bought it for the DAC first, headphone amp second and I could care less, but it's a plus. From the models that were reviewed around the time that the DX7 Pro was being reviewed I didn't see anything compelling in the cheaper models. My experience with the DX7 Pro matched that of the reviewers. The performance far exceeded my expectations, by a loooong shot. Its a fully balanced design and it certainly sounds better via XLR to the amplifier. Added bonuses for me is the excellent volume control and ability to use the single ended outputs at the same time for my pair of subwoofers. I missed out on the Drop but that's fine, it's worth every penny.

HiFiHonu

I'm running Windows 2004 on all of my endpoints and I've plugged the Topping DX7 Pro into all of them at some point recently and none have had a problem recognizing the device.

EarlZ

I am currently using a Topping DX3 Pro and I wonder if its worth the upgrade to the DX7 Pro, My use case is both PC gaming and music ( source is Spotify ) and I also use a Sennheiser HD660S headphone and Rokit KRK 7 Gen4 monitors.

Top Bottom