• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

qwuzzy

So would this be a bad buy to use with 32ohm headphones? Not entirely sure what the clipping at low impedances means and if it's recommended or not.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So would this be a bad buy to use with 32ohm headphones? Not entirely sure what the clipping at low impedances means and if it's recommended or not.
It gives 1.5 watts before clipping at 32 ohm. Which is a lot.

All amir was saying on that particular chart is that it exhibits 2 different behaviours when it runs out of juice, it either clips (distortion sky rockets) above 20ohm or it goes into protection mode(turns off) below 20. Very much doubt many real life users would experience either.

staticV3

Master Contributor
The DX3Pro+ doesn't actually struggle with <32Ω loads, as WolfX-700's APx555 measurements show:
THDN-Ratio-vs-Measured-Level.jpeg
Link

When compiling the data into Max Vrms vs Load graphs, it becomes obvious that something went wrong during Amir's test:
_b_Topping DX3Pro+_ __b_Max Output Voltage vs Load (clipping_ knee) (1).png

What exactly went wrong, I can't say. Perhaps Amir didn't cool the Amp adequately to compensate for the synthetic nature of the test signals, or perhaps the dummy load wasn't attached properly (oxidized contacts).

What I can say though is that Amir's 12-600Ω Load sweeps have produced sketchy data ever since they were introduced, so at least in this case, I would genuinely disregard them and trust Wolf's graphs instead.

Mordor

UPDATE:

About a month of use, between optical tv, USB Phone and sometimes BT......perfection.

Also, i can control volume of V3 with it. No need more.

F4talis

I'm looking at a secondhand offer for the DX 3 Pro+ asking for 120€.

"The device is as good as new, except that the display and the volume control wobble a bit. That's why I got a replacement device and was allowed to keep this one. I had unscrewed it once and a small screw came towards me but I didn't want to take it any further because you would probably have to remove the volume knob, which is why I think with a little skill you could screw it back on relatively easily, but it still works perfectly"

So I wonder if you think that's a good deal and can be easily fixed.

Is there a disassembly manual or something that could help me fix the display and knob?

Thanks!

qwuzzy

The DX3Pro+ doesn't actually struggle with <32Ω loads, as WolfX-700's APx555 measurements show:
View attachment 314371
Link

When compiling the data into Max Vrms vs Load graphs, it becomes obvious that something went wrong during Amir's test:
View attachment 314383

What exactly went wrong, I can't say. Perhaps Amir didn't cool the Amp adequately to compensate for the synthetic nature of the test signals, or perhaps the dummy load wasn't attached properly (oxidized contacts).

What I can say though is that Amir's 12-600Ω Load sweeps have produced sketchy data ever since they were introduced, so at least in this case, I would genuinely disregard them and trust Wolf's graphs instead.
Is there an easier way to browse the L7audiolab site? auto translation is not great. Are his measurements posted on this site too?

staticV3

Master Contributor
auto translation is not great. Are his measurements posted on this site too?
Some of them are posted here as well.
Open this link, then go to Find->Find all threads by WolfX-700.

Is there an easier way to browse the L7audiolab site?
You can open the menu and choose between Desktop and Portable devices, then scroll through all tests of that category in chronological order:
Screenshot_20230927-111021_Chrome.png
Or you can use the Search function to find specific tests. It works very well IME.

Last edited:

Mordor

Does any one confirm when using BT it gets hot?

Im not worry since i have a fan over it.,,,,

drey

I have only one beef with this amp and it's the 1db step volume control. Sometimes I really want to increase the loudness by a tiny amount to hit that sweet spot, but increasing it by +1db is too much. So I end up having to use the volume control on Windows often. It's really annoying. And I miss analog controls for that reason.

If Topping could come up with a software update to make volume step control configurable in their control panel, say to change it to to 0.2db or 0.5db that would be great. I'd give it a 10/10 in that case.

I've been using it for a few months now and this is my only complaint. I'm quite happy about it otherwise.

Transmaniacon

Is this still the go to choice for a combo DAC/AMP at $200? Debating the DX1 but the DX3 Pro+ seems to offer a lot more power.

Bleib

Major Contributor
Is this still the go to choice for a combo DAC/AMP at $200? Debating the DX1 but the DX3 Pro+ seems to offer a lot more power.
I prefer SMSL C200

Bleib

Major Contributor

Transmaniacon

If you need two coaxial digital inputs, it is.
Are there any DACs with dual USB inputs? I would love something that could switch between my work and personal computers.

Fluxed

Has anyone had any issues with the dx3 pro+ and LG OLED TVs optical connection (C2 or C3)?

There appears a bug issue with ESS chipsets and OLED tvs causing stuttering mentioned here

thanks

DrFlimFlam

just in case some of you use this for gaming, I've been running some latency tests after trying to play metal hellsinger and being off the beats a lot of times, and then seeing huge delay at the calibration options between the image and the audio.

USB: about between 95 and 110ms of audio latency, tested on 2 boards and a laptop on usb 2.0 + 3.x ports and 3 different cables.

optical cable: 70/75ms of audio latency, same computers

Integrated audio of the motherboards straight headphones to them skipping DX3: 70/75ms of latency, same as optical + dx3

so, if you plan to use this dac for tight gaming like competitive fps or just rythm games, be sure of use it with the optical input. 25/50 ms of extra latency is HUGE

It's a nonsense we still have to deal with latencies like that on windows and 99.9% of the games when humans are much faster at auditory reaction times than visuals, and at the same time we have monitors with a latency of 2ms on processing + showing it on the display

completely nonsense, but it is what it is. At least knowing that, you will be able to lower the latency a good 30/40% which is huge.

Last edited:

Another_Moon

In general, using driver v.5.57 from the manufacturer, I have a crunching sound when watching a video in the browser, a strong specific crunching sound, interruptions, shocks, I don’t know how else to say it, obvious distortions. If you remove it and leave the driver that Windows automatically pulls up, then this problem disappears, but with this driver it seems that when rewinding in wasapi mode the overtones are louder, and in general I would like a normal driver. Has anyone had this problem? There even seems to be support for Topping on the forum, what does she think about it?

DrFlimFlam

In general, using driver v.5.57 from the manufacturer, I have a crunching sound when watching a video in the browser, a strong specific crunching sound, interruptions, shocks, I don’t know how else to say it, obvious distortions. If you remove it and leave the driver that Windows automatically pulls up, then this problem disappears, but with this driver it seems that when rewinding in wasapi mode the overtones are louder, and in general I would like a normal driver. Has anyone had this problem? There even seems to be support for Topping on the forum, what does she think about it?
latest driver is 5.62

Another_Moon

Top Bottom