• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

Another_Moon

With the transition to v.5.62 the problem did NOT go away. The firmware also seems to be the latest (with the driver in the Revision column it is v.1.23)

staticV3

Master Contributor
In general, using driver v.5.57 from the manufacturer, I have a crunching sound when watching a video in the browser, a strong specific crunching sound, interruptions, shocks, I don’t know how else to say it, obvious distortions. If you remove it and leave the driver that Windows automatically pulls up, then this problem disappears, but with this driver it seems that when rewinding in wasapi mode the overtones are louder, and in general I would like a normal driver. Has anyone had this problem? There even seems to be support for Topping on the forum, what does she think about it?
Have you tried using another USB cable, or another USB port on your PC? That has solved similar issues surprisingly often.

Another_Moon

Have you tried using another USB cable, or another USB port on your PC? That has solved similar issues surprisingly often.
I changed the port, turned off the BT mouse, it doesn’t help, because if it works fine with another driver, then it’s a software issue. I use the cable from the kit.

Another_Moon

In general, I installed version 4.86, which supports Win 7/8.1 and everything is fine with it, it turns out that the newer versions somehow don’t work properly with Win 10 1909, probably if I had 22H2, for example, everything would work fine. I don't know if I'm losing anything by using an older driver version.

Monosauras

I have a pair of Focal Utopia and I’m looking for an amp and dac. Source will be Plexamp via a headless raspberry pi (connected by usb). I’m really out of my element with headphones.

What would I be missing out on by going this over say an A70/D70 stack?

Thank you

SergeyPiter

У DX3 Pro+ импульсный блок питания. Пульсация напряжения под нагрузкой больше 50 мВ. Будет ли это влиять на качество звука?​

drey

So after a few months of usage I started getting regular audio dropouts. Usually making it go through a few power on/off cycles seems to fix the issue. But it occurs every day now. Other devices I use don't have these issues. I just tried to reinstall the latest drivers too. But it's gonna be hard to pinpoint what's causing this. Something wrong with the power source? USB issue? Who knows..

I looked a bit on the software side but I don't see any CPU spikes when the dropouts occur.

I still enjoy the sound and clarity of this device. But I'm seeing other people report similar issues, so it looks like it's a QA lottery on whether you get a solid device or not when purchasing..

drey

So after a few months of usage I started getting regular audio dropouts. Usually making it go through a few power on/off cycles seems to fix the issue. But it occurs every day now. Other devices I use don't have these issues. I just tried to reinstall the latest drivers too. But it's gonna be hard to pinpoint what's causing this. Something wrong with the power source? USB issue? Who knows..

I looked a bit on the software side but I don't see any CPU spikes when the dropouts occur.

I still enjoy the sound and clarity of this device. But I'm seeing other people report similar issues, so it looks like it's a QA lottery on whether you get a solid device or not when purchasing..

I just tried hooking up the DX3 Pro+ to my laptop, I get the same glitching. Really disappointing.

Bleib

Major Contributor
Try a new USB cable at first. Sometimes my USB has acted weird too, a few times fixed with a new bios for the motherboard and/or drivers

zonk

I have a pair of Focal Utopia and I’m looking for an amp and dac. Source will be Plexamp via a headless raspberry pi (connected by usb). I’m really out of my element with headphones.

What would I be missing out on by going this over say an A70/D70 stack?

Thank you

I have one these but I don't like it very much. The sound is ok, but the flimsy 3.5mm headphone connector on the front is an absolute no go for me.

Mordor

I have one these but I don't like it very much. The sound is ok, but the flimsy 3.5mm headphone connector on the front is an absolute no go for me.
Already told, there are adapters....

Mordor

My first "Error" device yesterday...

My wife was watching tv, when the sound went off, and the topping showed "Error"....
Turn it OFF with plug, then ON again and no errors...

However, before and during the day, i was earing Spotify, with my phone and a BT speaker, and strangely, it was always showing connected to DX3 Pro...and sounds was going OFF a few times.

I finally eliminate DX3 Pro from list of BT of the phone and no more problems disconeting...

DX3 Pro, was always working on Optical from TV.

Weird.

ale76

HI everyone,

quick question on volume settings for the DX3+.
I am currently using it as part of a headphone set up, and I benefit of both DAC and Headphone amp features.
Now, I'd like to connect a 2 channel amp via RCA anomy question is :
Can I keep the RCA out fixed and maintain volume control only for the headphone output?
From the manual, it seems that setting volume as "fixed" will disable the control completely... my concern is that it will put the volume at 100% for both RCA and Headphone outputs.
Did anyone test a similar set up?
thanks
ale

kaszpires

I have this Topping dx3 pro+ and... I already had my first experience with the complications of quality checking (?) of topping.

Namely, I left it for the first time as standby, with the power extension lead on. I usually cut off entirely the power by switching off my power extension lead.
Same with the PC.
But this time - turned off but "under power".

After about 10 hours, I turn on the PC, use the remote control to top it up, and play music... If it doesn't make crackling noises and the volume of the distorted sound is much higher than the set volume (-38db, high gain, pcm). I turned off the music, opened a website with sound - the same thing. I turned off the topping (i.e. standby) with the remote control, turned it on - played music - still the same - loud crackling and distorted sound.

Only cutting off the power to the topping and reconnecting it to the power supply helped.

As for the (normal) sound from topping. It struck me that it was... less meaty (?) than the old Aune X1s. It (topping) didn't surprise me at all. I actually felt disappointed - and I was really excited for a long time to get my own "unit of topping" :) . I'm wondering now whether or not to return it. Especially that what I'm reading that people have a lot of problems with - amazing value but not reliable.

edit: It happen again. I left topping in standby mode. Turn off pc. But not cutting off the power on my extension lead. 10 hours after - turn ON my PC . Switch ON - from StandBy - my topping - play some music - and again - terrible terrible loud distorted sounds coming out my headphones. Put topping to StandBy again, switch ON with remote - and... no sound. Cycle by filters, by gain, by source - nothing help. Only smal "pop" when starting / stopping play. But no other sound. Needed to turn off the power for topping. After switch power back and turn ON by remote - sound appear and it is normal again.

deit2: This time - waiting only 1 h (topping standby, pc off -> topping on by remote, pc on - play). And again very laud distorted crackling sound. Topping Power off - power on - play - normal sound. Returning this piece of cr..p.

Last edited:

Mordor

I always turn off electricity. No problems.

Top Bottom