• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX3 Pro+ sound problems

Boltman92124

Hello ASR Topping owners. My DX3 Pro+ has developed smeared/distorted sound in less than 6 months after purchase. Sadly, was bought on the auction site. Doubt the warranty is valid. No return emails from Topping after 3 weeks anyway.

Sound problems resolve after unplugging it but then return. Is this unit toast? A shame since I liked the unit very much. My $20 DAC/dongle is more reliable ha ha.

PS- I did install the latest firmware after the problem developed. No change. Anything similar with Topping owners here? Thanks!

xTSUNAM1

Hi, no replies back after 3 weeks, ridiculous, not surprized since S.M.S.L is a company partner with Topping, only proof of purchase and within 2 years of that date.

But even if you did have warranty and proof of purchase, it wouldn't matter anyway, cause they aren't interested, so from now on am buying chinese products not directly from them but from UK Companys to avoid the hassle.

OP
Boltman92124

Boltman92124

Hi, no replies back after 3 weeks, ridiculous, not surprized since S.M.S.L is a company partner with Topping, only proof of purchase and within 2 years of that date.

But even if you did have warranty and proof of purchase, it wouldn't matter anyway, cause they aren't interested, so from now on am buying chinese products not directly from them but from UK Companys to avoid the hassle.
I didn't expect the sound quality to fail so quickly. Prob either the DAC section, digital filters or the op amp based output. Shouldn't have sold my Schiit DAC ha ha. Plugged my 26 year old Adcom GDA-700 back in. That'll work.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Sound problems resolve after unplugging it but then return. Is this unit toast? A shame since I liked the unit very much. My $20 DAC/dongle is more reliable ha ha
So you power it down, wait a bit, power it back on and it's OK for a while?

How long before it degrades.

Also, is the sound buzzy/hummy, or crackly? Does it sound better or worse with louder sounds?

OP
Boltman92124

Boltman92124

So you power it down, wait a bit, power it back on and it's OK for a while?

How long before it degrades.

Also, is the sound buzzy/hummy, or crackly? Does it sound better or worse with louder sounds?
Right. Unplug for full reboot and sound is good for awhile. Then returns to smeared sounding transients, distortion. Sounds like it's in a trash can type deal.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Right. Unplug for full reboot and sound is good for awhile. Then returns to smeared sounding transients, distortion. Sounds like it's in a trash can type deal.
Interesting. I'm trying to identify the failure mechanism. Things misbehaving after they've been on for a while can be something thermal.

How long does it sound OK?

OP
Boltman92124

Boltman92124

Interesting. I'm trying to identify the failure mechanism. Things misbehaving after they've been on for a while can be something thermal.

How long does it sound OK?
Coming back to it to listen again and it's gone bad. Powering off with the remote doesn't fix it. It's on all the time when plugged in so maybe it's overheating? I would say the unit gets pretty warm when it's on. BTW, I got a hold of Topping!!! Some fresh emails did the trick. They are asking some questions so I'll see where it goes. THanks!

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Coming back to it to listen again and it's gone bad. Powering off with the remote doesn't fix it. It's on all the time when plugged in so maybe it's overheating? I would say the unit gets pretty warm when it's on. BTW, I got a hold of Topping!!! Some fresh emails did the trick. They are asking some questions so I'll see where it goes. THanks!
Excellent! Let us know how you get on

OP
Boltman92124

Boltman92124

The good news- They will honor the warranty even though it's expired by a couple of months (They track the serial number).
The bad news- Have to ship it to China. Anybody know how much that costs by chance?

Probably not worth the wait and hassle but maybe it would be a surprise one day to get it back ha ha.

Props to Topping for paying attention though!

OP
Boltman92124

Boltman92124

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The cheapest rate is by going into the post office. They don't offer it online and the rate is substantially cheaper than any other method to China.
The good news- They will honor the warranty even though it's expired by a couple of months (They track the serial number).
The bad news- Have to ship it to China. Anybody know how much that costs by chance?

Probably not worth the wait and hassle but maybe it would be a surprise one day to get it back ha ha.

Props to Topping for paying attention though!

OP
Boltman92124

Boltman92124

What does smeared/distorted sound mean? You hear any artifacts or noises?
Pretty much those words. And it gets worse quickly after it starts. Topping didn't leave it on the test bench long enough. The customer service rep(in China) ended up emailing me "sorry, we'll try to do better". So it's a paper weight and I'm out close to $300.

PS- Artifacts yes. Some loud popping would be part of it.

Top Bottom