• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

Shivers

I have this for my headphones and now also got Topping PA3S for speakers. Help a newbie please, how am I best connecting them? I was going to try TRS balanced for the first time, is two of These what I need?

Last edited:

Smitty2k1

I have this for my headphones and now also got Topping PA3S for speakers. Help a newbie please, how am I best connecting them? I was going to try TRS balanced for the first time, is two of These what I need?
The DX3Pro+ does not output balanced, just regular RCA.

staticV3

Master Contributor
RCA->RCA would be the default way to connect these.

If you get GND loop noises that way, then it would be worth trying RCA->TRS cables instead, with specifically this configuration:
Screenshot 2023-11-23 at 08.38.00.png
That might get rid of the hum.

audiofun

RCA->RCA would be the default way to connect these.

If you get GND loop noises that way, then it would be worth trying RCA->TRS cables instead, with specifically this configuration:
View attachment 337446
That might get rid of the hum.
If rca->rca has ground loop, your configuration won't solve the issue much. Better to use this method:
compare to your configuration the above connection requires one more resistor (which matches dx3's internal one), but will solve the ground hum enttirely.

fquails

I often use the bluetooth input (LDAC) to play Apple Music when I’m too lazy to use wired IPad-> Topping. Apple Music + LDAC sounds great. But holy cow—getting connected to the Topping’s bluetooth is iffy many times. i often get connected, but no sound comes out. So I have to disconnect, “forget” the source device, then re-pair the device. Frustrating! I wonder if it can be fixed with a firmware update?

Once the connection is good, no dropouts afterwards.

staticV3

Master Contributor
i often get connected, but no sound comes out. So I have to disconnect, “forget” the source device, then re-pair the device. Frustrating! I wonder if it can be fixed with a firmware update?
You can check if your unit is on the latest firmware (v1.25):
https://www.tpdz.net/newsinfo/663552.html

The chances of a new firmware update beyond that are slim.
It's been 1.5 years since the last update after all.

fquails

You can check if your unit is on the latest firmware (v1.25):
https://www.tpdz.net/newsinfo/663552.html

The chances of a new firmware update beyond that are slim.
It's been 1.5 years since the last update after all.
I have the latest firmware on my two units. Both have the same issue. The source device connects to other bluetooth devices just fine, so the issue appears to be a systemic problem with the Topping. Too bad, as it is otherwise an excellent product.

Mordor

Android here. No problems conecting.

I DO have problems, when try connect to a BT box at home. Phone turn off connection and re-conect to Dx3.......very weird.

silver-matter

What is Topping's update release cycle like? Are people expecting a 2024 update to the DX3 Pro+?

The DX3 Pro was released in Fall 2018, then 3 years later the DX3 Pro+ was released in Fall 2021. So if Topping's product update cycle for the DX3 line is roughly every 3 years then that would place the next DX3 update this Fall 2024. The DX3 Pro+ could probably benefit from a bit more power to close the gap with newer budget amps (eg. Atom Amp 2 with 2.65 Watts at 32Ω), chip updates to current gen ES9039Q2M / XMOS XU308 chips (like the SMSL DL200 uses), and upgraded bluetooth 5.3 support / bluetooth output (vs current input only).

audiofun

chip updates such as ES9039Q2M / XMOS XU308 gives zero audible benefit. Instead, having a balance outputs (which can be done at near zero cost) would greatly make the device more usable in a lot of cases. But I don't believe topping would be willing to do that, as that hurts the sales of their mid-priced devices. On the other hand, SMSL DL200 or C200 achieved this at same price range. I would just get one of the latter two SMSL devices if I'm new to the market.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
I think Topping have been making great DACs, HP amps, combined DAC/HP amps and, more recently, desktop speaker amps, with broad product ranges, for quite some time.

It’s time for them to try something else. Their top of the range models are already SOTA, and almost all the rest of their products are low noise and distortion, down to transparency. Most people aren’t going to keep replacing these forever.

I’d like to see a digital pre-amp with a transparent DAC, output for mains and sub, bass management, and room correction.

Replace all these poorly-measuring AV amps people are having to use, and let the end user choose an amp suitable for them, or use powered speakers.

It’s logical step for a company whose product line is maybe 75% desktop application, where 2.1/2.2 set ups dominate.

silver-matter

chip updates such as ES9039Q2M / XMOS XU308 gives zero audible benefit. Instead, having a balance outputs (which can be done at near zero cost) would greatly make the device more usable in a lot of cases. But I don't believe topping would be willing to do that, as that hurts the sales of their mid-priced devices. On the other hand, SMSL DL200 or C200 achieved this at same price range. I would just get one of the latter two SMSL devices if I'm new to the market.
I like the idea of the DL200, but in practice this is a much larger much heavier unit than the DX3 Pro+ that has around 2.5x the footprint. Not nearly as well suited to desk use or nearly as portable. The DL200's amp is also less powerful, which is fine but harder to accept on a bulkier unit. The DL200 looks like an awesome value for it's price, but the form factor kind of kills it for me.

audiofun

I like the idea of the DL200, but in practice this is a much larger much heavier unit than the DX3 Pro+ that has around 2.5x the footprint. Not nearly as well suited to desk use or nearly as portable. The DL200's amp is also less powerful, which is fine but harder to accept on a bulkier unit. The DL200 looks like an awesome value for it's price, but the form factor kind of kills it for me.
C200 is not too large. and it has much better component (PSU for instance) quality than dx3 pro+. the adapter of dx3 pro+ is just crap. LED too -- a few users reported it fails.
I agree dx3 pro's amp is more powerful. it is possible to add balanced output to topping dx3 pro in the same package size. I wish topping release one but they are not willing to do that.

silver-matter

C200 is not too large. and it has much better component (PSU for instance) quality than dx3 pro+. the adapter of dx3 pro+ is just crap. LED too -- a few users reported it fails.
I agree dx3 pro's amp is more powerful. it is possible to add balanced output to topping dx3 pro in the same package size. I wish topping release one but they are not willing to do that.
C200 does have comparable dimensions to DX3 Pro+, but like you said it has advantages and disadvantages vs the DX3 Pro+. The internal power supply on the C200 is definitely an upgrade, but most of the internal hardware (ESS, XMOS, BT etc.) is from the prior generation of amp dacs like the DX3 Pro+ (ie. not the current generation like the DL200). The C200 is only 1.5 years old vs the DX3 Pro+ which is 2.5 years old so I'd guess it'll be longer before the C200 gets an update.

It'll definitely be interesting to see the DX3 Pro+ v2 vs C200 v2 matchup.

Last edited:

audiofun

as I said earlier, chip updates such as ES9039Q2M / XMOS XU308 gives zero audible benefit.
on the other hand, balanced outputs do give huge improvements on noise reduction. A lot of professional equipments (studio monitors for instance) only accepts balanced signals.

silver-matter

as I said earlier, chip updates such as ES9039Q2M / XMOS XU308 gives zero audible benefit.
on the other hand, balanced outputs do give huge improvements on noise reduction. A lot of professional equipments (studio monitors for instance) only accepts balanced signals.
For clarity I'm not implying that I expect the chip updates themselves to make an audible benefit. It's just a clearly identifiable generational break.

Boltman92124

I often use the bluetooth input (LDAC) to play Apple Music when I’m too lazy to use wired IPad-> Topping. Apple Music + LDAC sounds great. But holy cow—getting connected to the Topping’s bluetooth is iffy many times. i often get connected, but no sound comes out. So I have to disconnect, “forget” the source device, then re-pair the device. Frustrating! I wonder if it can be fixed with a firmware update?

Once the connection is good, no dropouts afterwards.
Had the same problem with my DX3Pro+. But that was the least of it's problems.

Top Bottom