• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

In 2023, Topping DX3 Pro + vs EX 5 vs G5

vrships

I am looking to get one of these or similar units in the $150 to $250 range.

First I thought Dx3 Pro+ was good enough, but then I realized EX5 has slightly better performance in both DAC and amp and offers an option to use the DAC only with balanced output.

But I am not sure why many subjective reviews speak low of EX5 against Dx3 Pro+. Was there any hidden but still "scientific" spec that EX5 is inferior?

Was Dx3 Pro+ still a better choice if I can get EX5 around $250?

But then I saw the new G5! Beats both Dx3 and EX5 in almost every single aspect and is lightweight and portable. Of course I lose a fancy LCD and all output ports with DAC.

The G5 also is the most expensive one at $250.

I am having a hard time choosing. Or anyone has a similar or better option from other brands?

staticV3

Master Contributor
The SMSL C200 looks pretty nice. Especially at its current price of $140 on Amazon.

Klonatans

Forum Donor
Dx3 Pro+ and EX5 are desktop DACs/headphone amps/pre-amps, while G5 is a portable battery powered DAC/headphone amp, so apples and oranges. Of the first two I would choose EX5 as it has balanced outputs.

OP
V

vrships

Dx3 Pro+ and EX5 are desktop DACs/headphone amps/pre-amps, while G5 is a portable battery powered DAC/headphone amp, so apples and oranges. Of the first two I would choose EX5 as it has balanced outputs.
But what is the point of a desktop DAC/amp if it's beaten up by a portable DAC/amp in all objective tests that matter? And even outputting the same power? Did I miss anything that should be an important factor in DAC performance but not discussed in the tests here? (of course XLR output is one, but very minor factor)

Klonatans

Forum Donor
But what is the point of a desktop DAC/amp if it's beaten up by a portable DAC/amp in all objective tests that matter? And even outputting the same power? Did I miss anything that should be an important factor in DAC performance but not discussed in the tests here? (of course XLR output is one, but very minor factor)
Desktop devices generally have more power, even if G5 looks like an exception, and they don't suffer from battery degradation.

Boltman92124

In less than 6 months my DX3 Pro+ has gone in the toilet. Smeared sonics and sounds like it's inside a trash can. Unplugging it fixes the issue but only temporary. I did just update the firmware but no dice. Toslink, USB, Bluetooth all the same. Sadly, I bought it off ebay so assuming no warranty. It did work fine when I got it.

Oh well. Any other fixes I could try? Thanks.

sofastreamer

i own a dx3 pro+ and the g5 and the g5 is noticebly worse in soundquality. it is not bad at all for a portable, but the dx3 has much more authority from top to bottom, more air between the instruments and a much deeper soundstage with sharper positioning. neither dac nor amp are just what the papers say, its all about implementation and to a dregree about power.

sofastreamer

In less than 6 months my DX3 Pro+ has gone in the toilet. Smeared sonics and sounds like it's inside a trash can. Unplugging it fixes the issue but only temporary. I did just update the firmware but no dice. Toslink, USB, Bluetooth all the same. Sadly, I bought it off ebay so assuming no warranty. It did work fine when I got it.

Oh well. Any other fixes I could try? Thanks.
you already wrote this else where. why the redundancy?

threni

Major Contributor
So after receiving the DX3Pro+ back from Topping in China it is still broken. I'll just cut my losses from here on. Never again with these guys (or any other Chinese company that requires you to pay shipping to China under warranty).
You said you bought it from eBay so maybe just avoid doing that in future to ensure you are covered by a warranty rather than not buying anything from China? Is there any way you can test this device on another system? Having two faulty units seems very unlucky...

Boltman92124

You said you bought it from eBay so maybe just avoid doing that in future to ensure you are covered by a warranty rather than not buying anything from China? Is there any way you can test this device on another system? Having two faulty units seems very unlucky...
It's the same unit. I was hoping they'd swap it. To their credit, they honored the warranty. They track the serial number. It left their warehouse about 7 months prior to my claim. I swapped in two other DAC's. All is fine. I even sent them videos with loud popping, distortion. They blamed it on my sources of course. Done.

Top Bottom