• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

Dilliw

My DX3Pro+ is 90 in and has none of these problems but I'm not using it for headphones. Galaxy S21 via LDAC to RCA out.

mexiballer

Hi. My DX3 Pro Plus is spontaneously turning itself on. It turns itself on even when there are no other electronic devices running in the room. I turned Bluetooth off and that had no effect. Has anyone else run into this issue and was there an easy fix for it?

Last edited:

davide155

Hi everyone!
I am writing to you because I have a problem with my Topping dx3pro +. Basically I have background noise using the usb and optical input. I listen like "pops" in the headphones in the background (hd560s). I also tried with other iem headphones, or with speakers (edifier s360db) and the pops are always there. The only input that doesn't have these problems is bluetooth, and a volume double compared to optical and usb.
I have already sent back one unit, and this second unit also has the same problem. Also tried by attaching it to the TV, but it always presents the problem of these pops in an irregular way. But never at the same listening point. Also tried to attach it to an APC filtered outlet, but nothing changes. It is very annoying as a problem, and it is especially noticeable when watching movies at high volume, totally changing the listening experience. Obviously the firmware is updated to 1.25. I am thinking of sending this unit back as well and switching to another brand of dac / amp, even though this dx3pro + had the perfect features for my needs.

Toku

Major Contributor
Hi everyone!
I am writing to you because I have a problem with my Topping dx3pro +. Basically I have background noise using the usb and optical input. I listen like "pops" in the headphones in the background (hd560s). I also tried with other iem headphones, or with speakers (edifier s360db) and the pops are always there. The only input that doesn't have these problems is bluetooth, and a volume double compared to optical and usb.
I have already sent back one unit, and this second unit also has the same problem. Also tried by attaching it to the TV, but it always presents the problem of these pops in an irregular way. But never at the same listening point. Also tried to attach it to an APC filtered outlet, but nothing changes. It is very annoying as a problem, and it is especially noticeable when watching movies at high volume, totally changing the listening experience. Obviously the firmware is updated to 1.25. I am thinking of sending this unit back as well and switching to another brand of dac / amp, even though this dx3pro + had the perfect features for my needs.
I have a question.
What signals are you connecting to the USB and OPT inputs?
Are those signals pure 2ch PCM signals?
I get symptoms similar to yours when I input a signal that contains sound effects such as Dolby.
Does noise occur even if the USB and OPT connections are disconnected?

davide155

I have a question.
What signals are you connecting to the USB and OPT inputs?
Are those signals pure 2ch PCM signals?
I get symptoms similar to yours when I input a signal that contains sound effects such as Dolby.
Does noise occur even if the USB and OPT connections are disconnected?
Yes, specially in netflix and Disney+.
Also in YouTube but more difficult to hear. But in netflix and Disney+ i can hear that little pops for the entire film.
That noise occur only when a sound is played. If i stay with headphons and the topping set to ON without any sound, i don't hear nothing.
The only way to not hear that pops is to play films in blutooth mode. In that way i can hear very powerful and clear sound without any pops.

torcid

Also in YouTube but more difficult to hear. But in netflix and Disney+ i can hear that little pops for the entire film.
That noise occur only when a sound is played. If i stay with headphons and the topping set to ON without any sound, i don't hear nothing.
The only way to not hear that pops is to play films in blutooth mode. In that way i can hear very powerful and clear sound without any pops.

Testet Dolby Atmos Headphone APP @ 24 Bit/ 48Khz with MS Edge browser (only way to play Netflix + Atmos on Windows).

Crystal clear and no popping sound issues (via USB). Newest Firmware 1.25, but only Windows 10 internal drivers installed.

Try different sample rates in the drivers.

Last edited:

davide155

Testet Dolby Atmos Headphone 24 Bit/ 48Khz with MS Edge browser (only way to play Netfllix/Atmos on Windows).

Crystal clear and no popping sound issues (via USB). Newest Firmware 1.25, but only Windows 10 internel drivers installed.

Try different sample rates in the drivers.
I tested all different rates in windows but nothing changed. Tried also change samples in the topping driver app and nothing changed. Try safe mode, nothing changed.
The fact is that the problem remain the same even with disney+ or netflix on my tv with the use of optical-in on the dx3pro+. So nothing windows driver in the middle that can distort the final result.

torcid

I tested all different rates in windows but nothing changed. Tried also change samples in the topping driver app and nothing changed. Try safe mode, nothing changed.
The fact is that the problem remain the same even with disney+ or netflix on my tv with the use of optical-in on the dx3pro+. So nothing windows driver in the middle that can distort the final result.

It doesn't happen on my device. Maybe you are right... faulty...

Try to use the Windows internal drivers. They are much better choice than the Topping drivers, especially for gaming. Only use the topping drivers for updating the firmware. You don't need them if you don't need 16 Bit or DSD ( which is marketing...).

I had stuttering while playing games with the Topping drivers. No problems with the Win internal drivers. Latency/performance doesn't seem to be the best with their drivers.

But with Fiio K5 Pro i had the same problems. Better go with Win internal.

Last edited:

davide155

It doesn't happen on my device. So your device is faulty (don't thing so) or it's something with your PC.

Try to use the Windows internal drivers. They are much better choice than the Topping drivers, especially for gaming. Only use the topping drivers for updating the firmware. You don't need them if you don't need 16 Bit or DSD(marketing...).

I had stuttering while playing games with the Topping drivers. No problems with the Win internal drivers.
Probabily you didn't read my first message. This topping is the second one that do these things. First one i returned to amazon 1 week ago.
And i have the same issue with my tv on optical in.
Try 3 different headphones and do the same problem.
Try with speakers in analog mode and do same problem.
Only when i use bluetooth mode i have clear, most powerful and perfect sound without any pops in background. The pops are very faint and it takes a trained ear to hear them, and a high volume. For that i say i hear pops only with films when there are speech scenes without any other sound.

torcid

Probabily you didn't read my first message. This topping is the second one that do these things. First one i returned to amazon 1 week ago.
And i have the same issue with my tv on optical in.
Try 3 different headphones and do the same problem.
Try with speakers in analog mode and do same problem.
Only when i use bluetooth mode i have clear, most powerful and perfect sound without any pops in background. The pops are very faint and it takes a trained ear to hear them, and a high volume. For that i say i hear pops only with films when there are speech scenes without any other sound.

No problems in Netflix, Games (play alot) or Music (Tidal), MP3.
Tried very hard to hear any of these popping noises.

Dolby Atmos, DTS X, Stereo.

Did you try offline content on your drive?

Last edited:

Giangy11

Hi, is it normal that bluetooth is Always available (and connected to my phone) even if the dx3 pro+ is on standby?

Toku

Major Contributor
My first thought was that the audio signal you were using included some type of sound effects that the DX3 Pro+ couldn't input.
But you said you returned the original DX3 Pro+ and got a new DX3 Pro+ with the same symptoms.
It is generally not considered that two units will be defective in a row.
So I think your DX3 Pro+ is normal and the cause is something else.
According to the experience I have gained so far, in rare cases, BT radio waves/signals may cause noise to enter other inputs. I doubted it because the level of noise mixed in was very low.
Please reset your DX3 Pro+ to factory default and try using USB/OPT connection without using BT.

nsfgp

Hi, is it normal that bluetooth is Always available (and connected to my phone) even if the dx3 pro+ is on standby?
Normal. Phone stays connected when you put it into standby. If you disconnect it from the phone and then power on the DX3P+ you would need to reconnect again. Most phone should work similar way with it.

davide155

My first thought was that the audio signal you were using included some type of sound effects that the DX3 Pro+ couldn't input.
But you said you returned the original DX3 Pro+ and got a new DX3 Pro+ with the same symptoms.
It is generally not considered that two units will be defective in a row.
So I think your DX3 Pro+ is normal and the cause is something else.
According to the experience I have gained so far, in rare cases, BT radio waves/signals may cause noise to enter other inputs. I doubted it because the level of noise mixed in was very low.
Please reset your DX3 Pro+ to factory default and try using USB/OPT connection without using BT.
Yes, I also thought about this, and every time I don't use bluetooth on the topping I disconnect the smartphone. I also tried not to connect the Bluetooth antenna but nothing changed. Now in the manual I read that you can disable bluetooth and in fact I wanted to do it, but in the topping settings menu there is no this function. How can it be? Did they remove it with firmwere 1.25?
I don't know where to turn my head, i tried everything....

Toku

Major Contributor
Yes, I also thought about this, and every time I don't use bluetooth on the topping I disconnect the smartphone. I also tried not to connect the Bluetooth antenna but nothing changed. Now in the manual I read that you can disable bluetooth and in fact I wanted to do it, but in the topping settings menu there is no this function. How can it be? Did they remove it with firmwere 1.25?
To turn BT on/off, turn off the power adapter, then turn on the power adapter while holding down the main knob on the panel, and the setting menu screen will appear.

davide155

To turn BT on/off, turn off the power adapter, then turn on the power adapter while holding down the main knob on the panel, and the setting menu screen will appear.
I know how to enter, but there is not any bluetooth menu. This is why I was wondering if it was normal... The same in the first one topping. Can it be possible?

Last edited:

kndy-

Hey,

Just received my unit today as a replacement of my Topping E30. The goal was to use the HP amp rather than my GoXLR mini's one (which is really decent tbh. But I had top push super loud to get a decent volume for my Hifiman Edition XS).
Now, I'm at -20 db, low gain which is really sufficient already.

Almost everything runs smoothly. My Cyrus One amp is connected through RCA to the DX3+, the GoXLR will use the Lineout to RCA also to the DX3 (RCA Y adapters).

I was scared at first because I only got one channel using the HP amp. I had to plug the 3.5mm jack harder.
Hope it will remain like that.

Last edited:

Toku

Major Contributor
I know how to enter, but there is not any bluetooth menu. This is why I was wondering if it was normal... The same in the first one topping. Can it be possible?
OK, I understand.
It would be nice to check with my DX3 Pro+, but on the third day, I gave away the DX3 Pro+ due to a system change, so I can't check it now.

I've just received my DX3 Pro+ and it's running 1.25 firmware and i can confirm that there is no bluetooth settings in the setup menu. You go from headphone gain to PCM filter settings.

Once i remove the BT antenna i can't detect the DX3 Pro+'s bluetooth even if i put my phone physically on top of it. This might be a work around.

Top Bottom