• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

Bleib

Major Contributor
I’m not sure I understand. According to the use of DAC/amp dongles (e.g., L&P W2), it’s always better to maximixe the digital volume at the source and adjust the listening volume at the amplifier, and that’s analog(?) Sure, it may be digital control, but we’re talking about the analog’s amplitude, correct?
Volume yes. L30 and even the new one can have channel imbalances. This won't happen with DX3 Pro+

Praefectus

Soo...

My DX3 Pro+ arrived today.
All good works well with WASAPI Excl. showing the current sample rate BUT... if I go to Windows settings to have a peak for available sample rates there's no 16-bit? Only 24/32bit are available on the list.

Also, having it connected to Windows PC and MDR-1A headphones should I change some settings regarding Amp or pre-amp?
Now I am listening on -15dB according to screen.

There's no clear explanation on how to turn off the Bluetooth as well.

Facing some issue with reconnecting the unit to USB after PC restarts. It won't connect and the USB is flashing until I connect it to a different USB port.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-08-02 225945.png
    Screenshot 2022-08-02 225945.png
    33.5 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

Bleib

Major Contributor
Soo...

My DX3 Pro+ arrived today.
All good works well with WASAPI Excl. showing the current sample rate BUT... if I go to Windows settings to have a peak for available sample rates there's no 16-bit? Only 24/32bit are available on the list.

Also, having it connected to Windows PC and MDR-1A headphones should I change some settings regarding Amp or pre-amp?
Now I am listening on -15dB according to screen.

There's no clear explanation on how to turn off the Bluetooth as well.

Facing some issue with reconnecting the unit to USB after PC restarts. It won't connect and the USB is flashing until I connect it to a different USB port.
Have you downloaded the 5.30 driver?

For turning off BT hold in the main button on the unit as you plug in the powercable to enter setup..

thecity2

I just got a DX3 Pro+ yesterday and am playing around with it. I have it connected through a USB dongle on my new MBP (with an M1 chip). Does it ever say anything other than "pcm"? Because when I play Hi-Res Lossless 24/192 through iTunes it still just says 44.1 pcm. I also tried playing a 352 kHz DSD file through Pine and it still just says "pcm" on the display. Am I missing something here?

Veri

Master Contributor
I just got a DX3 Pro+ yesterday and am playing around with it. I have it connected through a USB dongle on my new MBP (with an M1 chip). Does it ever say anything other than "pcm"? Because when I play Hi-Res Lossless 24/192 through iTunes it still just says 44.1 pcm.
That's because the internal audio mixer will use your system-set rate. You need a player that takes exclusive control of the audio device. If you go to 'Audio Midi' settings in OSX, and set it to 192kHz for example, the DX3 will just say 192 at all times. That's how the global/system-set audio rate works.

I think Tidal app has a setting to set exclusive mode and control the sample rate. I'm not sure what other music apps can achieve the same, probably not iTunes... I'm not a heavy Mac user so can't help you there, I use Windows / foobar2000 at home.

thecity2

That's because the internal audio mixer will use your system-set rate. You need a player that takes exclusive control of the audio device. If you go to 'Audio Midi' settings in OSX, and set it to 192kHz for example, the DX3 will just say 192 at all times. That's how the global/system-set audio rate works.

I think Tidal app has a setting to set exclusive mode and control the sample rate. I'm not sure what other music apps can achieve the same, probably not iTunes... I'm not a heavy Mac user so can't help you there, I use Windows / foobar2000 at home.
Hmm it would be odd if iTunes can't do it, because it specifically has output settings that allow you to choose lossless 24/192.

Praefectus

Hmm it would be odd if iTunes can't do it, because it specifically has output settings that allow you to choose lossless 24/192.
But the device still needs to be instructed by software to change the sample rate.
In Qobuz we have something called "WASAPI - Exclusive mode" and the app is taking over. Every time the track changes with a different sample rates - Topping will display the current sample rate for a second.
Apple devices are usually extremely limited so I' not surprised you have some issues here.

Veri

Master Contributor
Open MIDI settings, set device to 24-bit 192kHz, and set iTunes to output lossless 24/192.
Don't overthink it ;) it'll work fine this way, if not bitperfect at lower rates.

thecity2

Thanks, guys. I did find the MIDI settings and now it is working as it should. Is there any benefit to setting the output settings to higher than 192? I assume not.

Veri

Master Contributor
Thanks, guys. I did find the MIDI settings and now it is working as it should. Is there any benefit to setting the output settings to higher than 192? I assume not.
Since the signal is processed anyway (delta sigma converters sample much further than the inputted 192kHz), there's not much point.. the 352/384kHz support nowadays is just marketing.. ;)

hellolinefour

Just got the DX3 Pro+

Is there any way to fix / improve the bad volume knob skipping db issue? It's pretty frustrating.

I'm also noticing sibilance a lot more in various tracks. Are EQ and the toilet paper trick the only ways to reduce this?

Smitty2k1

Just got the DX3 Pro+

Is there any way to fix / improve the bad volume knob skipping db issue? It's pretty frustrating.

I'm also noticing sibilance a lot more in various tracks. Are EQ and the toilet paper trick the only ways to reduce this?
New firmware supposedly improves this. I haven't tested as my unit doesn't have this problem from what I've noticed.

hellolinefour

New firmware supposedly improves this. I haven't tested as my unit doesn't have this problem from what I've noticed.
Thanks for the reply. I have already installed Firmware 1.25 and Driver 5.30.
I thought maybe there could be a physical/mechanical solution.
I guess I'll have to live with it.

torcid

US$300 versus US$200. The pair was in my budget and had a few other features I’d like, but I think I’ll appreciate the convenience of having Bt in the end…

Yes you are right sry. Remote is really nice to have, too! I don't use the wheel at all.

Here in Germany it's 180€ vs 260€. Price dropped slightly since successor E50/L30 are on the market.

Miiman

Thanks for the reply. I have already installed Firmware 1.25 and Driver 5.30.
I thought maybe there could be a physical/mechanical solution.
I guess I'll have to live with it.
I thought they would fix that in later batches but i guess not. I have the same fault on mine too but i ordered my unit some half year ago.
Hoped they could fix the issue in FW as its anoying. I use the remote instead.

Praefectus

Is random ticking noise normal for this DAC?
Sometimes I can clearly hear a ticking then I swap to my old DAC AMP and it's gone.
Then going back to DX3 and it's gone too. Then after a while, I can hear this again.

Apart from that, sudden and random HEAVY DISTORTION. Only reboot helps.

Happened before the firmware upgrade and after that.

Don't get me wrong. It sounds good but the amount of problems I can see from day ONE makes me return this as in my opinion DX3 Pro+ can't compete even with simple DH80S from Hidizs which always have crystal clear audio without any distortion and ticking.

EDIT:// willing to give this another go. Ordered a replacement and returning my current one. Let's see if that helps.

Last edited:

thecity2

It's a new abbreviation to me: Device Firmware Upgrade. So yea. Glad you could get it working.

Of course it worked straight out of the box and I was happy for a few hours, but I have power hungry Sundara's and needed to get into full power mode (make that the default for heaven's sake) to hear those new HP's sing.

In retropsect, It is kind of slick--like getting into computer BIOS where it looks for a hot button during initial boot up and never thereafter, and thereby protects against an accidental change of settings. But yes, instead of saying powering up, why not "hold button down while attaching the power supply." Like me I'm sure you tried pushing the damn power knob every which way to Sunday. I managed to get if to even hang up a few times, requiring that I reboot it, but not realizing that what was meant by power up. Now of course all makes sense. That it sounds so good for such a great price makes this sin forgivable. I did send a note to Topping, which likely got round filed, and the guy shaking his head, saying dumb Americans.
Mine just seems to be stuck in this "dFU" mode :( I almost feel like it's saying FU to me haha. I want to set it to the line out mode, but I can't seem to get into the setup menu.

EDIT: Success! I had to read your comment MANY times before I figured this out LMAO.

Last edited:

PatriciaP

Forum Donor
How does it manage a power amplifier when set up as pre-amp? I use the dx3// as a headphone amplifier at the moment; I believe that in pre-amp mode the hp amp is not functioning.

I am looking at buying IOTAVX PA3, which has 45w into 8ohms.

I want to connect optical from TV, coax from Squeezebox Touch network player.

I have an integrated amplifier 70w, SMSL Sanskrit DAC and want to try a more detailed analytical style of amplifier.

rarewolf

My DX3P+ arrives next week, and I hadn’t planned on using it with my Windows computer but understand it’s required for updating the firmware. Is connecting to the computer also the only way to determine the current installed fw version?

Top Bottom