• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

Bleib

Major Contributor
My DX3P+ arrives next week, and I hadn’t planned on using it with my Windows computer but understand it’s required for updating the firmware. Is connecting to the computer also the only way to determine the current installed fw version?
It's unlikely to have the latest firmware so you should connect it to the PC with the USB cable and download the software. It won't take many minutes. The firmware itself installs very quickly.

Praefectus

My DX3P+ arrives next week, and I hadn’t planned on using it with my Windows computer but understand it’s required for updating the firmware. Is connecting to the computer also the only way to determine the current installed fw version?
Yes. This is the only way to check this. Most likely it will have 1.23. The new version is 1.25.

Good luck with this. I have returned 2 units already and not coming back. While it sounds amazing, the build quality is a big no-no. Many popping, ticking, and very rare but present - heavy distortion with no apparent reason.

hellolinefour

Yes. This is the only way to check this. Most likely it will have 1.23. The new version is 1.25.

Good luck with this. I have returned 2 units already and not coming back. While it sounds amazing, the build quality is a big no-no. Many popping, ticking, and very rare but present - heavy distortion with no apparent reason.

Considering returning mine too.
Wobbly inputs and a bad volume knob don't inspire confidence.
I'm not impressed with my first Topping product.
Could you recommend a suitable alternative?

Praefectus

Unfortunately no. I will stick with my DH80S from Hidizs for the time being.
My wish is that the market will soon come up with some good alternatives to DX3 Pro+ with a price range of $200-$300.

Last edited:

arivor

I just got my unit and I have an extremely hard time reliably switching Outputs via double tap on the knob (especially if I don't grab the entire unit in one hand and double tap with the other. Double tap while the unit sits on the table seems impossible). Do others have the same issue? Is there a magic trick? Single click to change input works quite well.

torcid

I just got my unit and I have an extremely hard time reliably switching Outputs via double tap on the knob (especially if I don't grab the entire unit in one hand and double tap with the other. Double tap while the unit sits on the table seems impossible). Do others have the same issue? Is there a magic trick? Single click to change input works quite well.

I don't have any of these problems with my unit.

Forums are always a bit deceptive. You will mostly see posts from users with problems. Than it seems to be a faulty product line.

Maybe the volume wheel somethimes (rarely) doesn't register a single input. But i mostly use the remote. And it doesn't happens often. Doesn't really bother me.

Last edited:

selthier

hello .... just borrow dx3 pro+ from friends

and have some question, is there a to change dac to pre amp from remote?

also to use setup is to hold knob button till off & turn it on again right? but all i see is dfu ?

nsfgp

hello .... just borrow dx3 pro+ from friends

and have some question, is there a to change dac to pre amp from remote?

also to use setup is to hold knob button till off & turn it on again right? but all i see is dfu ?
Change between Dac/PreAmp mode and turn on/off BT can only be done via the Setup Menu. All other functions can be changed via remote.
To get into Setup Menu: unplug power plug from unit. Push and hold Knob and then plug in power (do not release knob until you see it in Setup Menu mode).
Once inside Setup Menu press knob to cycle between settings and turn knob to change setting values. Download/Read the manual too.

haen

Forums are always a bit deceptive. You will mostly see posts from users with problems. Than it seems to be a faulty product line.

You are right at least to some degree. But looking at the number of people reporting problems with the volume knob ignoring volume change I would call it a manufacturing defect at this point. Also switching output via double press of the knob is very unreliable - maybe it is something that could be adjusted via a firmware update, dunno.

As you said you won't care about these problems if you use the remote. But quite a few people, including me, bought this device to have it placed on the desk where the knob is readily available when you are sitting next to it.

I got my first unit replaced, for the second one the problem with the device not registering knob rotation is definitely less pronounced. But it still there, and it makes me wary of purchasing another device from Topping.

torcid

You are right at least to some degree. But looking at the number of people reporting problems with the volume knob ignoring volume change I would call it a manufacturing defect at this point. Also switching output via double press of the knob is very unreliable - maybe it is something that could be adjusted via a firmware update, dunno.

As you said you won't care about these problems if you use the remote. But quite a few people, including me, bought this device to have it placed on the desk where the knob is readily available when you are sitting next to it.

I got my first unit replaced, for the second one the problem with the device not registering knob rotation is definitely less pronounced. But it still there, and it makes me wary of purchasing another device from Topping.

I had that missing inputs (only volume). But it did happen only very few times, when i tried to replicate this failure. So not a real problem with my device.

I have the device on my desktop, too. But i never used the wheel for anything... The remote is very good in every aspect!

Last edited:

selthier

Change between Dac/PreAmp mode and turn on/off BT can only be done via the Setup Menu. All other functions can be changed via remote.
To get into Setup Menu: unplug power plug from unit. Push and hold Knob and then plug in power (do not release knob until you see it in Setup Menu mode).
Once inside Setup Menu press knob to cycle between settings and turn knob to change setting values. Download/Read the manual too.
thx! i saw that instruction before but in manual it didnt said u need to unplug, so i thought the newer firmware change that

also i set this with pc setup, and when i turn off the pc, its doesnt auto off
so i guess unless i unplug my pc from the electric plug, the topping wont auto off?

nsfgp

thx! i saw that instruction before but in manual it didnt said u need to unplug, so i thought the newer firmware change that

also i set this with pc setup, and when i turn off the pc, its doesnt auto off
so i guess unless i unplug my pc from the electric plug, the topping wont auto off?
oh man please do RTFM!! :) Auto button on remote OR 'A-O' settings in setup menu.
Auto-off is on by default ... if it is set and does not work as expected your PC is not shutting down USB signal to the DAC and you need to check USB port settings from pc side.

selthier

oh man please do RTFM!! :) Auto button on remote OR 'A-O' settings in setup menu.
Auto-off is on by default ... if it is set and does not work as expected your PC is not shutting down USB signal to the DAC and you need to check USB port settings from pc side.

i already read manual many time, already setting auto off in remote
also i already turn off usb charging in bios setup , and turn off fast start up in power option

thats why i ask

Praefectus

Maybe the volume wheel somethimes (rarely) doesn't register a single input. But i mostly use the remote. And it doesn't happens often. Doesn't really bother me.
All sorted. Seems like there was an issue with my overloaded CPU that caused interference with WASAPI Exclusive (Qobuz).

Purchased DX5 to find this to happen again so I started to DIG and found the real problem. Mostly solved now.

tvih

Hadn't tried the double tap before but it seems to work fine for me.

torcid

All sorted. Seems like there was an issue with my overloaded CPU that caused interference with WASAPI Exclusive (Qobuz).

Purchased DX5 to find this to happen again so I started to DIG and found the real problem. Mostly solved now.

I had freezings in games with my DX3Pro+ after a while of playing. But at the end it was the Ram overclock. The Ram voltage was to low...

The DX3Pro+ works fine for me. No worth mentioning problems with my volume wheel...

Faulty devices can happen with every manufacturer. We had a user with the display not working correctly after a while. But when you read to much about problems in forums, than you start to think that every second display is faulty. What the heck has Topping done?! :rolleyes: ;)

And half of the problems are at the end not caused by the device itself...

Last edited:

mejobloggs

Noob question... I have DX3 Pro (non plus) with headphones plugged in. Windows 11 is identifying DX3 Pro as "Speakers"

Does it matter? Is that just a generic term? Or do I need to somehow set it as "Headphones" ?

Praefectus

Noob question... I have DX3 Pro (non plus) with headphones plugged in. Windows 11 is identifying DX3 Pro as "Speakers"

Does it matter? Is that just a generic term? Or do I need to somehow set it as "Headphones" ?
It does not matter. It's a generic set by Windows.
You can even change the image from speakers to headphones or amp brick - whatever you like. It's pure for your convenience.

rarewolf

It would be really helpful if, and when, we switched our DACs away from Bluetooth and to a different source, that the DAC disabled its Bt radio… or, am I missing something?

Top Bottom