• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Would it make sense to get the Topping DX3 Pro+ to pair with an Aiyima T9 amp? Or would that not be a noticable improvement over just using the internal dac in the Aiyima T9?
erm... Not to rain on your parade but Topping has had a run of failed products in recent months. The after sales support has been abysmal and the terms of returning the failed products is devious if not probably illegal at best.

redjr

Yaay, another exceptionally well performing Topping product.

It does get boring though, with marginal improvements across the generations. I'd love something new. Multi channel when?
Yeah. The miniscule amount of audible improvement doesn't seem to always warrant a new, bright and shining DAC offering.

Frasso

erm... Not to rain on your parade but Topping has had a run of failed products in recent months. The after sales support has been abysmal and the terms of returning the failed products is devious if not probably illegal at best
thx for the heads up!

Assuming it's not a faulty unit, would the upgrade be significant?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Assuming it's not a faulty unit, would the upgrade be significant?
I'm not sure about what you are doing with a Topping DX3 Pro+ AIO headphone amp and DAC ... and a Aiyima T9. How would you use them?

Frasso

I'm not sure about what you are doing with a Topping DX3 Pro+ AIO headphone amp and DAC ... and a Aiyima T9. How would you use them?
Phone/Mac/Streamer--> BT/USB/Optical --> Topping --> RCA --> Aiyima --> Elac debut B6.2 speakers

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Phone/Mac/Streamer--> BT/USB/Optical --> Topping --> RCA --> Aiyima --> Elac debut B6.2 speakers
Ahhh doth seeith now. :D Thanks for the details. The Topping DACs are veryyy clean and test very well. I would go with the Topping DAC instead of the Aiyima if you can wire it up as such. It's unfortunate that Topping product has had a bad run for the recent months because the product tests very very well and looks ace too. Topping could really take a lion's share of the market if not for the issues lately.

Frasso

Ahhh doth seeith now. :D Thanks for the details. The Topping DACs are veryyy clean and test very well. I would go with the Topping DAC instead of the Aiyima if you can wire it up as such. It's unfortunate that Topping product has had a bad run for the recent months because the product tests very very well and looks ace too. Topping could really take a lion's share of the market if not for the issues lately.
Thx for the input :) Do you think the quality difference is noticable in a normally furnished small/medium apartment living room? No room acoustics correction applied.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thx for the input :) Do you think the quality difference is noticable in a normally furnished small/medium apartment living room? No room acoustics correction applied.
Not really. But if you want the best then only the better choice will do.

Frasso

Not really. But if you want the best then only the better choice will do.
Well, I guess the psychological benefit shouldnt be underestimated ;)
But adding a subwoofer will probably give me more bang for my bucks then...

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, I guess the psychological benefit shouldnt be underestimated ;)
But adding a subwoofer will probably give me more bang for my bucks then...
If you are on a fixed budget and want to add a subwoofer then save where you can and get the sub.

Frasso

If you are on a fixed budget and want to add a subwoofer then save where you can and get the sub.
Not really fixed budget... I'm intriegued to try a different dac for the possibility of improved/different sound, but it has to be at least a somewhat rasonable chance of me being able to hear a difference. Otherwise it's just more cords to untagle...

I really appreciate my setup as it is, had it a couple of weeks, and especially enjoy the soundstage appearing behind the speakers when i have them drawn out from the front wall. Even so, I find it hard not to wonder how it could sound and continue to look for ways to improve it :) Guess i'm stuck on the hedonic treadmill

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I find it hard not to wonder how it could sound and continue to look for ways to improve it
I would not worry about DAC differences. Your speakers are good but the DAC differences are in real life very small. Adding a subwoofer or even upgrading the speakers would be a good upgrade. (As good as your speakers are there are always better.)

ELOJR

erm... Not to rain on your parade but Topping has had a run of failed products in recent months. The after sales support has been abysmal and the terms of returning the failed products is devious if not probably illegal at best.
Sorry to read this. I was considering buying a Topping, but am now going to hold off.

Tangentially: I had ongoing problems with updating a miniDSP and, even though their support team was available and tried to resolve my issue via email, the lack of a "live person" option undermined the process. They even offered to look at my out-of-warranty product IF I shipped it to Hong Kong, a city that can't be found at FedEx or UPS online because it doesn't have a recognized international zip code. I would have had take it to one of them, and...if they could figure out how to ship it...pay the cost, and then wait to find out the cost of repair or whether I had to buy a new unit.

I chose to use my miniDSP as a paperweight and vowed to never again buy a product from a company that didn't have excellent customer support.

(Note: I registered my product, yet never received any available update notifications, so I didn't know to do so, which the company claimed may have caused the problem I was having...even though they had no idea what was actually going on. Hence, the need to ship it back to China.)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry to read this. I was considering buying a Topping, but am now going to hold off.

Tangentially: I had ongoing problems with updating a miniDSP and, even though their support team was available and tried to resolve my issue via email, the lack of a "live person" option undermined the process. They even offered to look at my out-of-warranty product IF I shipped it to Hong Kong, a city that can't be found at FedEx or UPS online because it doesn't have a recognized international zip code. I would have had take it to one of them, and...if they could figure out how to ship it...pay the cost, and then wait to find out the cost of repair or whether I had to buy a new unit.

I chose to use my miniDSP as a paperweight and vowed to never again buy a product from a company that didn't have excellent customer support.

(Note: I registered my product, yet never received any available update notifications, so I didn't know to do so, which the company claimed may have caused the problem I was having...even though they had no idea what was actually going on. Hence, the need to ship it back to China.)
For these reasons I bought a DAC and a headphone amp recently and I bought, "Made in the USA." I'm in Canada but I've been buying made in the USA products for some decades. My very first full hand tools set was Craftsman stuff made in the USA (Age about 8.), My oscilloscopes and test gear all made in the USA, My electronics repair and calibration workbench was all made in the USA tooling (Except for the Wiha screwdrivers made in Germany.) and my beasty home stereos where all made in the USA amps and pre-amps. I buy local to the continent that I am on to avoid the issues Topping and now miniDSP are having and the respect and good customer service from USA companies more than makes it worthwhile. :D

JohnnyQ

Hi everyone!
I am writing to you because I have a problem with my Topping dx3pro +. Basically I have background noise using the usb and optical input. I listen like "pops" in the headphones in the background (hd560s). I also tried with other iem headphones, or with speakers (edifier s360db) and the pops are always there. The only input that doesn't have these problems is bluetooth, and a volume double compared to optical and usb.
I have already sent back one unit, and this second unit also has the same problem. Also tried by attaching it to the TV, but it always presents the problem of these pops in an irregular way. But never at the same listening point. Also tried to attach it to an APC filtered outlet, but nothing changes. It is very annoying as a problem, and it is especially noticeable when watching movies at high volume, totally changing the listening experience. Obviously the firmware is updated to 1.25. I am thinking of sending this unit back as well and switching to another brand of dac / amp, even though this dx3pro + had the perfect features for my needs.
I have the same issue. I received my DX3 pro+ on Sep 08, 2022. So, I think Topping has problem in product quality control.
I have solved the popping problem on DX3 pro+. I have Windows 10 on my laptop. I uninstall Topping USB driver v5.45 (Windows 10 & 11) and re-install Topping USB driver v4.86 (Windows 7). Popping is disappear after I install Topping USB driver v4.86 for Windows 7 on laptop with Windows 10.

Last edited:

ELOJR

I did a lot of research before deciding on the DX3 Pro +. Now...with all the QC issues...I'm back to square one.

Can anyone recommend a comparably priced and featured DAC that also tests well?

I'll use it in my desktop system with an Mac and powered monitors so need RCA outs and a volume control. Also, I use headphones, but just for voice track recording (3.5mm jack although I can always use an adaptor if DAC has a different size jack).

staticV3

Master Contributor
Only thing that comes close is the Sabaj A10h 2022, but it costs $100 more.
Alternatively you could buy a separate DAC and headphone amplifier for about the same price as the DX3Pro+, but you'd be giving up Toslink, Spdif and Bluetooth input, the screen, remote, and the clean looks of a single unit.

nsfgp

I did a lot of research before deciding on the DX3 Pro +. Now...with all the QC issues...I'm back to square one.

I'll use it in my desktop system with an Mac and powered monitors so need RCA outs and a volume control. Also, I use headphones, but just for voice track recording (3.5mm jack although I can always use an adaptor if DAC has a different size jack).
Spend $19 more for the SMSL C200. Much better value DAC.

Top Bottom