• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

AndyLewis

Hi - anyone else had this problem?
Got this item & works great - even installed the USB drivers ok on my Win7 pc. However, while BT works fine on my cat's (my old phone) a low spec Hisense Altice - it pairs with my Moto G6 play - which has paired & worked with every other BT I have some with the latest spec, but the topping produces no sound!!
Codec problems of some sort?
Infuriating!!!

staticV3

Master Contributor
Go into the Android Developer options while being connected to the DX3Pro+ and check if anything looks wrong with the settings there:
Screenshot_20220505-205916_Settings.jpg

Also make sure that no other device is connected to the DX3Pro+ via Bluetooth, which might occupy the input.

And of course, double-check if the DX3Pro+ is set to Bluetooth input.

Dilliw

I received my unit a couple of months ago and don't have any of these issues so far. No it doesn't show the codec or sample rate on the display but my S21 shows those in the developer options. I use Mucsicolet for my player and it will show the source file types and sample rate. LDAC @ 96.0 kHz is as good as I need.

lewdish

Is anyone having any issues setting their DX3 Pro+ to DAC only mode for RCA Line out?

AndyLewis

Go into the Android Developer options while being connected to the DX3Pro+ and check if anything looks wrong with the settings there:
View attachment 204730

Also make sure that no other device is connected to the DX3Pro+ via Bluetooth, which might occupy the input.

And of course, double-check if the DX3Pro+ is set to Bluetooth input.
Tried em all - set as 44.1 16 bit etc yet comes up as 48k briefly, pairs phone says playing to DX3 pro+ etc but nothing.... had enough - with the jerky input/output selection - it's gone back for a refund. Phone works on every bt thing in the house except that damn thing.
Shame as I liked the sound particularly over USB but if I buy something I want it to work as advertised. Topping sound nice but even the controls on my smsl 100 mk2 are easier to use... Topping support no help at all.

AndyLewis

Tried em all - set as 44.1 16 bit etc yet comes up as 48k briefly, pairs phone says playing to DX3 pro+ etc but nothing.... had enough - with the jerky input/output selection - it's gone back for a refund. Phone works on every bt thing in the house except that damn thing.
Shame as I liked the sound particularly over USB but if I buy something I want it to work as advertised. Topping sound nice but even the controls on my smsl 100 mk2 are easier to use... Topping support no help at all.
However I feel the need for a separate dac to my 6000a - so I think it'll be an E50 when I get the refund .... 269€ on Amazon ES better specs, soundstage, bal outputs should I ever need & no unnecessary bells & whistles. Now should I get Orange, Blue, Silver or Black? ; )

Kitarist

Did anyone upgrade from old Topping DX3 Pro to topping DX3 Pro Plus and notice any difference in the sound in terms of DAC and amp?

jools

Forum Donor
Did anyone upgrade from old Topping DX3 Pro to topping DX3 Pro Plus and notice any difference in the sound in terms of DAC and amp?
I did (upgrade) and didn't (notice any difference) through amp and speakers. I thought I could hear a difference between the headphone outputs but it wasn't a blind test...

Sandbo

My friend just told me his new DX3 Pro+ is still warm to touch after having it turned off using the soft button, is this normal?
If it is still powered after the soft turn off, does he need a physical switch to do so?

staticV3

Master Contributor
My friend just told me his new DX3 Pro+ is still warm to touch after having it turned off using the soft button, is this normal?
Yes. It is normal that electronic devices of all kind will still consume some power in standby mode.

If it is still powered after the soft turn off, does he need a physical switch to do so?
If your friend is bothered by the extra warmth and power consumption and he wants to make sure the DX3Pro+ consumes zero power when turned off, then he will have to either use something like this:
nedis-by-steler-mit-5-buchsen-und-2x-usb-anschluss-mehrfachsteckdose-schalterbeleuchtung-kinde...jpg
or he will have to physically plug the DX3Pro+ out when not in use.

Sandbo

Yes. It is normal that electronic devices of all kind will still consume some power in standby mode.

If your friend is bothered by the extra warmth and power consumption and he wants to make sure the DX3Pro+ consumes zero power when turned off, then he will have to either use something like this:
View attachment 205810
or he will have to physically plug the DX3Pro+ out when not in use.
Thanks for the confirmation, I just forwarded this to him.

I think this is not ideal either, my guess is some manufacturers believe an idle power of 1-2 watt is acceptable so nothing needs to be done.
Probably then they should have offered a physical switch, or make the volume knob part of the switching.

Rainman

I think this is not ideal either, my guess is some manufacturers believe an idle power of 1-2 watt is acceptable so nothing needs to be done.
Probably then they should have offered a physical switch, or make the volume knob part of the switching.
As topping is applying the CE-mark (mine has it, I got it through amazon Germany and it was directly shipped from China) AFAIK that should state that this device should have a consumption of not more than 0.5 Watts in standby or in off mode if it would comply to current EU standards.

Last edited:

audiofun

As topping is applying the CE-mark (mine has it, I got it through amazon Germany and it was directly shipped from China) AFAIK that should state that this device should have a consumption of not more than 0.5 Watts in standby or in off mode if it would comply to current EU standards.
the issue could have been fixed by firmware update. the hardware can shut the rails off. They just don't care.
The 2W standby consumption is also verified by other forum members . In their other products the issue is even more severe.

kyleTheDude

I've had the dx3pro + for a week and loving it so far. I'm curious if it's possible to use the RCA out with my hd800? Maybe there's a 1/4" to RCA adaptor that could work?

audiofun

My colleague complains that she purchased a DX3Pro+ three month ago and encountered display failure now...
Unfortunately she's outside the return window and has to ship it back to China for display replacement. LOL

IMG_9143.jpg

tvih

I previously mentioned being slightly disappointed at the fact that the unit uses a 3.5mm headphone connector rather than 6.3mm. Incidentally I already ran into a situation demonstrating why I don't like it. So here's a long-winded "cautionary" post about it.

(TL;DR? Well... use a more flexible adapter.)

So for the long from explanation, as y'all know the most common 6.3->3.5mm adapter is like this:

hama-adapteri-35mm-63mm--pdp_zoom-3000--pdp_main-540.jpg

Now, the problem is it protrudes from the device a lot and is "solid". So aside from taking a bit of space from a desktop if you tug at the cable or accidentally "poke" the adapter itself - things happen! - it causes quite a bit of torsion or whatever you call it on the plug as well as the input it is connected to. It's basically like a bloody lever. Previously this had caused for the front 3.5mm audio input in my PC case to break - probably the terminal's actually at least partially loose from the PCB, though I haven't taken it apart to verify. Doesn't work, regardless.

I wanted to avoid that with the DX3 Pro+ in any case even though its input port seems solid, but still only had the above kind of adapter. However before long I started noticing some annoying distortion here and there in the sound, and noticed the plug had problems fully "seating." Well, turns out that it was a bit bent from the above circumstances. Bending it back allowed it to seat properly but didn't stop the distortion - in fact it increased a lot. Not sure why it worked better with the previous DAC, maybe the less "sunken" input port - though after straightening it certainly didn't anymore when I tried. My ears!

So as I needed a new adapter to be able to use my headphones (just used the unit in its DAC capacity in the meanwhile for my desktop speaker setup, obviously great for that as well) I wanted a less hazardous one that I had already been thinking about since ordering the unit. So I bought this kind instead:

avk323.jpg

Problem solved, much less torsion and no unwanted distortion based on what I've used it since (still mostly been doing DAC usage). But if the damn thing had the 6.3mm to begin with, there would've been nothing to solve! I didn't even find but one online store that even sells a cable like this in my country. The other option for a similar result would of course have been using the previous type of adapter with a 3.5mm female to male adapter/extension cable in front of it, but that was more "hassle" given the needed replacement adapter in any case and my shortest existing extension cables being too damn long at 1m. So this was cheaper, too.

I'm sure the problem(s) I had is not a common occurance, but *initiate spooky voice mode* it could happen to you! :eek:

nothingman

Sadly, you learned this lesson the hard way, but if you look around there is a ton of advice online to never use a rigid adapter like that one, and it’s a bit of common sense too (not saying that in a dickish way). Flexible works better and it shouldn’t really matter which the DX3 Pro+ uses because everyone has different headphones and everyone has good adapter options available to them.

Top Bottom