• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Two questions about the DX3 Pro+. Does this unit not show the Bluetooth codec being used? Also, no sample rate is displayed for BT? I actually don't even see the sample rate with USB. Does the unit not show sample rate?
Edit:. Maybe my problem is that I'm stuck on showing volume on the display. Does anyone know how to toggle from volume to sample rate?

Last edited:

mailux

Hello,
I bought this device 4 months ago. Since this morning I get the following error message "Err INH".

Has anyone had the same problem?
err2.jpg

err1.jpg

Hello,
I bought this device 4 months ago. Since this morning I get the following error message "Err INH".

Has anyone had the same problem?
View attachment 202431
View attachment 202430
This dx3 Pro+ owner can readily reproduced this error, IDK know whatever MCU(non avengers version) topping used but it seems to trying to pull to logical zero an input; perhaps from the XMOS chip. Anyway this owner does not use the included SMPS and has fabricated a suitable replacement(ATX PSU to DC-DC, etc.) When this owner stops the operation of the replacement PSU load regulation fails and then "Err" and "1n" not exactly like what I understand to be your problem. So hopefully it is the external PSU only. then replace that only.2022-04-27-12-30-12-518[1].jpg2022-04-27-12-30-12-518[1].jpg2022-04-07-13-50-08-008.jpgMainstream Arm Cortex-M0 Value line MCU with 32 Kbytes of Flash memory, 48 MHz CPU

Last edited:

audiofun

This dx3 Pro+ owner can readily reproduced this error, IDK know whatever MCU(non avengers version) topping used but it seems to trying to pull to logical zero an input; perhaps from the XMOS chip. Anyway this owner does not use the included SMPS and has fabricated a suitable replacement(ATX PSU to DC-DC, etc.) When this owner stops the operation of the replacement PSU load regulation fails and then "Err" and "1n" not exactly like what I understand to be your problem. So hopefully it is the external PSU only. then replace that only.View attachment 202812View attachment 202812View attachment 202821Mainstream Arm Cortex-M0 Value line MCU with 32 Kbytes of Flash memory, 48 MHz CPU
DX3Pro+ has input voltage detection. See the circled part from PCB (Got it from google image search)

topping-dx3-pro-dac-es9038q2m-nfca-headphone-amplifier-tpa6120a2-bluetooth-50-aptx-hd-ldac-xmo...jpg

There're two resistors that divide the input voltage. one is connected to ground. the other is connected to MCU input.
If the input voltage is not 15V, the MCU will not turn on the +/- 15V rails (you can find mosfets as switches on the right of the DX3Pro+ logo in the above PCB) and instead display "ERR".

I don't know if it will also display INH. I already returned the unit so no longer able to check if it's the case.

Dxnc

To confirm, the Topping DX3 Pro+ doesn't show sample rate, only volume correct?
The display shows sample rate for a few seconds when it changes, then reverts back to volume. I'm not aware of a way to keep the display fixed on sample rate.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The display shows sample rate for a few seconds when it changes, then reverts back to volume. I'm not aware of a way to keep the display fixed on sample rate.
Appreciated. It also doesn't confirm the bluetooth codec that it is using, correct? Just says BT. These are annoying little things that I would think have come up in customer feedback over and over.

fquails

How do you prevent unauthorized devices from connecting automatically via bluetooth? Without disabling bluetooth. Quite annoying when my kids’ devices hijack the Topping via bluetooth.

tvih

How do you prevent unauthorized devices from connecting automatically via bluetooth? Without disabling bluetooth. Quite annoying when my kids’ devices hijack the Topping via bluetooth.
Seems weird it would do that. At least none of my BT devices (PC, Android phone, Android tablet) automatically pair with my DX3P+ unless manually paired previously. Otherwise I have to initiate the connection and then confirm the pairing from the connecting device. It'd make sense if you had to confirm it from the DAC/amp as well, I suppose, but alas it's not the case. Kinda silly, technically even my neighbours could connect to it... not really optimal!

However they can't hijack the connection if you've paired a device of your own to it and are currently connected, it doesn't even show as an option to connect to on my other devices when one connection is already active (and even devices previously paired with it can't connect as long as the active pairing is ongoing). But I suppose if you're using your phone and are disconnected despite being present, or aren't home, that would then leave it up for grabs. Still supposedly needs to be done manually, though. Check you kids' BT settings perhaps to see why it's autoconnecting in the first place?

As a side note, I hadn't tested BT on my DX3P+ before testing these things after reading your post. In the process I found out my phone actually supports aptX-HD, LDAC and AAC, despite specs and manual not mentioning anything beyond SBC and regular aptX! And tablet supports AAC, regular aptX and LDAC as well despite no mentions in its docs either. Nice find, and good to know if I ever have need to use the amp with my phone or tablet.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
@fquails
You cannot tell the DX3Pro+ to block certain phones/tablets/PCs.

However, a phone will not connect to a Bluetooth device on its own that it has never seen before. Only to one that was previously manually paired to the phone.

Therefore, please take your kids' phones (with their permission), go into the settings -> connections -> Bluetooth -> connect to the DX3Pro+, then tap on the cogwheel next to it and choose "unpair".

On my Samsung tablet, that looks this this:

With that done, your kids' devices will still be able to see the DX3Pro+ in the list of available Bluetooth devices, but they should no longer connect to it automatically, forcing your phone off the connection.

In addition, you'd have to ask them to just leave that Bluetooth device alone and not connect to it out of curiosity.

fquails

@fquails
You cannot tell the DX3Pro+ to block certain phones/tablets/PCs.

However, a phone will not connect to a Bluetooth device on its own that it has never seen before. Only to one that was previously manually paired to the phone.

Therefore, please take your kids' phones (with their permission), go into the settings -> connections -> Bluetooth -> connect to the DX3Pro+, then tap on the cogwheel next to it and choose "unpair".

On my Samsung tablet, that looks this this:

With that done, your kids' devices will still be able to see the DX3Pro+ in the list of available Bluetooth devices, but they should no longer connect to it automatically, forcing your phone off the connection.

In addition, you'd have to ask them to just leave that Bluetooth device alone and not connect to it out of curiosity.
Thank you. It’s not really from my six year old twins’ phones. They have two of those $30 Amazon bluetooth transmitters, attached to their TVs to transmit TV sound to their headphones. The transmitters pair automatically to any BT receiver within range. Each receiver can transmit to two devices, so I guess I can just make sure both transmitters are already paired with two devices each so they will never connect with the DX3 pro+.

fquails

Seems weird it would do that. At least none of my BT devices (PC, Android phone, Android tablet) automatically pair with my DX3P+ unless manually paired previously. Otherwise I have to initiate the connection and then confirm the pairing from the connecting device. It'd make sense if you had to confirm it from the DAC/amp as well, I suppose, but alas it's not the case. Kinda silly, technically even my neighbours could connect to it... not really optimal!

However they can't hijack the connection if you've paired a device of your own to it and are currently connected, it doesn't even show as an option to connect to on my other devices when one connection is already active (and even devices previously paired with it can't connect as long as the active pairing is ongoing). But I suppose if you're using your phone and are disconnected despite being present, or aren't home, that would then leave it up for grabs. Still supposedly needs to be done manually, though. Check you kids' BT settings perhaps to see why it's autoconnecting in the first place?

As a side note, I hadn't tested BT on my DX3P+ before testing these things after reading your post. In the process I found out my phone actually supports aptX-HD, LDAC and AAC, despite specs and manual not mentioning anything beyond SBC and regular aptX! And tablet supports AAC, regular aptX and LDAC as well despite no mentions in its docs either. Nice find, and good to know if I ever have need to use the amp with my phone or tablet.
I paired a Fiio M11 Plus ESS, with the DX3 pro +. It sounds amazing with LDAC. But I hardly use the bluetooth, so BT in the FIIO is off most times. I keep the BT in the DX3 on all the time for convenience as I don’t use the remote. The DX3 powers on with my amp. Anyway, my six year old twin kids have two of those $30 Amazon bluetooth transmitters, attached to their TVs to transmit TV sound to their headphones. The transmitters pair automatically to any BT receiver within range. Each receiver can transmit to two devices at the dame time, so I guess I can just make sure both transmitters are already paired with two devices each so they will never connect with the DX3 pro+. Even when my paird device is not connected to the DX3 pro+.

fquails

Reminds me of all the sudden "Baby Shark" outbursts...
Ha ha ha!! I first
Reminds me of all the sudden "Baby Shark" outbursts...
Ha ha ha!! That’s pretty close to what happened. I have the Topping turning on when my amp is powered on. Upon powering up, the Topping automatically selects the input with a signal, so I was suprised when I heard sounds coming from a Garfield cartoon show that my kids are addicted to.

Finder

Just received my DX3 Pro+ and I'm wondering if anyone else has a slight problem with their volume knob. Reducing volume works fine with every click dropping a dB. Raising volume however will sometimes register a dB increase per click, and sometimes not. If I spin it multiple clicks up, it will go up eventually, but not one per click. It's triggering my OCD...

gael

Just received my DX3 Pro+ and I'm wondering if anyone else has a slight problem with their volume knob. Reducing volume works fine with every click dropping a dB. Raising volume however will sometimes register a dB increase per click, and sometimes not. If I spin it multiple clicks up, it will go up eventually, but not one per click. It's triggering my OCD...
Seem like a common issue with the model.
I don't really care myself as I adjust volume with a knob on my keyboard.

Smitty2k1

I haven't noticed this on my DX3 but I do notice it with the temperature control knob in my Mazda. Just the way these work I suppose.

haen

As mentioned above it seems unfortunately that this a common problem with this device. I had the same issue - you can find more details starting from my past message (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...w-dac-headphone-amp.27148/page-19#post-970233), but my advice - if the working knob is important to you (weird, right) - would be to ask for a replacement or return the device. Especially if yours shows something similar to what I got (https://www.dropbox.com/s/31z48k4v8slxbhn/dx3_pro+_volume_knob_glitch.mp4?dl=0).

I got mine replaced (I bought at ShenzenAudio/Amazon), the new one is much better, but still occasionally fails tor register volume increase. I'm not happy about it - unpredictable UI, especially backed by a physical thingie is very annoying. But according to Toku (see the link to my post above) this is actually a relatively common problem (across many devices)... :/

Finder

As mentioned above it seems unfortunately that this a common problem with this device. I had the same issue - you can find more details starting from my past message (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...w-dac-headphone-amp.27148/page-19#post-970233), but my advice - if the working knob is important to you (weird, right) - would be to ask for a replacement or return the device. Especially if yours shows something similar to what I got (https://www.dropbox.com/s/31z48k4v8slxbhn/dx3_pro+_volume_knob_glitch.mp4?dl=0).

I got mine replaced (I bought at ShenzenAudio/Amazon), the new one is much better, but still occasionally fails tor register volume increase. I'm not happy about it - unpredictable UI, especially backed by a physical thingie is very annoying. But according to Toku (see the link to my post above) this is actually a relatively common problem (across many devices)... :/
Thanks for the replies. I should have done a search through the thread. :facepalm: What really bugs me about this is that it's a common mechanical fault. If I put downward pressure on the knob while increasing volume, it registers fine. Annoying to the degree that I've returned my unit. Now considering other products or gambling on another of the same...

Top Bottom