• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

Alec246

Skipping the 50+ pages on this thread, may I ask a kind member of the topic, to resume one thing for me?

Is this DX3+ Pro suitable to use with my Etymotics ER3XR IEMs. It seems to have an issue with clipping i read? Would it be the best option outside purchasing separate amp and dac?

Thanks!

staticV3

Master Contributor
The DX3Pro+ doesn't have any issues with low impedances:
THDN-Ratio-vs-Measured-Level (3).jpg
22Ω IEMs will be just fine.

Alec246

Hmmmm interesting. If indeed its the case, it would be the best fit for my Iem on desktop. The Portable Dacs have gone all over 100+, or sold out, due to shortage.

I will continue using my Apple DAC while i wait for Aliexpress to solve the issue i have go refund my previous DAC. And If they do It, i will give some serious thought on getting the DX3Pro+

Alec246

Well, will deal with my Credit Card later, as I have purchased a DX3Pro+ unit for my Setup :) Somethign I hope I can spend years without ever considering an upgrade.

Now, I have been thinking. My Etymotic ER3XR is said to get the sound signature of the much higher priced ER4s with an impedance addition via an adapter. The ER4 Line has 45Ω, 23 over the ER3.

Adding impedance would actually be a desirable thing to do, with this DAC, I assume? I will get better SINAD at higher Impedance?

Vladetz

Well, will deal with my Credit Card later, as I have purchased a DX3Pro+ unit for my Setup :) Somethign I hope I can spend years without ever considering an upgrade.

Now, I have been thinking. My Etymotic ER3XR is said to get the sound signature of the much higher priced ER4s with an impedance addition via an adapter. The ER4 Line has 45Ω, 23 over the ER3.

Adding impedance would actually be a desirable thing to do, with this DAC, I assume? I will get better SINAD at higher Impedance?
It will give you nothing

ceinstaller

Hi all! Does anyone know if there are discreet IR codes for the Pro+? Meaning, power on and power off instead of power cycle, IR codes for each input, etc?

Thanks in advance,

~Mark

billymac

Have had a few days with my new DX3Pro+ and PA3s combo for a 2.1 desktop setup in small office. Loving it and sounds fantastic. Paired with Emotiva B1+ and SE8 subwoofer. Leveraging SE8's bass management, which is sitting between the DX3Pro+ and the PA3s. Now just waiting on the Topping acrylic rack to finish it off.

IMG_1317.jpg

staticV3

Master Contributor
what happened then with the review here which said that low impedance were not good?
I don't know. You'd have to ask Amir about it, but I doubt he'd be interested in revising his measurements.

Fact is that his Vrms sweeps are horribly low res and so almost never match even his own mW sweeps, so not a good foundation from the get-go.

Perhaps the full-scale sine sweeps stressed the Amp to a point where the protection kicked in, hence why you should provide ventilation while testing max power.
Perhaps Wolf's unit was revised in some way compared to Amir's.

Edit: Here's both Amir's and Wolf's data compiled into a Max Vrms vs Load graph:
Adobe_20220427_111802.jpg

Last edited:

WTP

Just bought a DX3 Pro+ but the device driver cannot be found by Windows 7. It shows up in Device Manager with an exclamation mark and the driver shows as just the standrar Microsoft USB driver.

Tried loading the driver from Topping web site but the so-called Windows 7+ (v5.12) download actually installs as 5.20 (the Win 10 one) and gives an error that it is not compatible with my OS.

Help would be much appreciated or I'll just have to return it to Amazon and then I'd value advice on suitable alternative that will work with Win 7.

PS:did try the Topping chat line but no help there.

DrFlimFlam

I don't know. You'd have to ask Amir about it, but I doubt he'd be interested in revising his measurements.

Fact is that his Vrms sweeps are horribly low res and so almost never match even his own mW sweeps, so not a good foundation from the get-go.

Perhaps the full-scale sine sweeps stressed the Amp to a point where the protection kicked in, hence why you should provide ventilation while testing max power.
Perhaps Wolf's unit was revised in some way compared to Amir's.

Edit: Here's both Amir's and Wolf's data compiled into a Max Vrms vs Load graph:
View attachment 210943
I was thinking on to switch to the dx5 for the edition xs + speakers, but with that I think Ill bite it and try the dx3 first

much more value for the money if doesn't give problems with low imp headphones

Veri

Master Contributor
Just bought a DX3 Pro+ but the device driver cannot be found by Windows 7. It shows up in Device Manager with an exclamation mark and the driver shows as just the standrar Microsoft USB driver.

Tried loading the driver from Topping web site but the so-called Windows 7+ (v5.12) download actually installs as 5.20 (the Win 10 one) and gives an error that it is not compatible with my OS.

Help would be much appreciated or I'll just have to return it to Amazon and then I'd value advice on suitable alternative that will work with Win 7.

PS:did try the Topping chat line but no help there.
Maybe try 5.12.0 or lower from here https://download.shenzhenaudio.com/#Topping/1
Would think that you'd find at least one file that works.

WTP

...and I just re-downloaded from the the 5.12 / Win 7 link and confirmed the un-zipped driver is numbered 5.20

WTP

Looks like v5.20 is wrongly labeled as v5.12 on the download site. Indeed, it does not contain drivers for W7.

If you check their product presentation they reference support only for W10:

Just got an email from Topping support saying that the version I needed was 4.86 and provided a link to download.

This was successfully installed (after ignoring Windows / Norton security warnings) and it now shows in win 7 device manager as "Topping USB DAC" compared to "DX3 Pro+" on Win 10.

I note also that 384k sampling rate is now not available but all I need is 24/192 for audio on DVD-A or Bluray audio disks

I also have downloaded folders called 'DSD Configuration Guide' and 'FB2K DSD components'. Am I right in understanding that these are just for Foobar or do I need some / all of these?

Last edited:

WTP

They're just for foobar and just for playing DSD files.
Thanks !!

I've just completed my installation, replacing an old Beresford Caiman 7520 and it sounds MUCH better. I chose the DX3 Pro+ because of this forum's reviews, not only DX3 Pro+ but a later more expensive Beresford 7540 which I was originally going to buy until I found a review here which was utterly terrible, so ASR has saved my future music listening / remastering and my wallet !!

Kudos to all involved.

PS: Already forgotten my newbie password but cannot find the 'forgotten password' link, advice would be much appreciated.

Top Bottom