• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX3 Pro or FiiO K5 Pro for my Hifiman Sundaras

pablomelguera

Hello and happy new year!

I've got a pair of Sundaras past week and love them. Now i'm using them with Focusrite 2i4. I can't get to decent listening levels without distortion.

I prefer DAC + AMP for convenience. These to (topping and FiiO) are my winners for now. I wan't to stay in this price range.

I've read that planars need more current (not watts but amperes). In that case, wich of these dac/amp would work better with the Sundara? I'm aware of the features they both offer, but if anyone can give me some experience with Sundaras or some advice regarding this current thing, it will help me a lot.

Sound quality is my top concern, and I like caring my ears so I don't crack the volume that much.

Also, if there is an option i'm missing please tell me. I live in Costa Rica so i'll have to buy via eBay or Aliexpress

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The Hifiman Sundaras are 37-Ohms and the DX3 Pro has an a 10-Ohm output impedance.
Better to get a headphone amplifier with a lower output impedance, like 5-Ohms or less.
Check out the Schiit Fulla 3 DAC/amp.

OP
P

pablomelguera

The Hifiman Sundaras are 37-Ohms and the DX3 Pro has an a 10-Ohm output impedance.
Better to get a headphone amplifier with a lower output impedance, like 5-Ohms or less.
Check out the Schiit Fulla 3 DAC/amp.

I've read that planars dont have that problem with output impedance. But anyways I think im leaning towards the K5 Pro

That Schiit is, I think, not so powerful for this HP. I ve recieved advise to get something that gives arround 1W @ 32ohm

iucoen

I've read that planars dont have that problem with output impedance. But anyways I think im leaning towards the K5 Pro

That Schiit is, I think, not so powerful for this HP. I ve recieved advise to get something that gives arround 1W @ 32ohm

Output impedance doesn't change frequency response, since impedance doesn't change with frequency, but it still adds distortion. It eats up the EMF from the headphones and messes with the amp's feedback circuitry.

And no, you don't need 1W for the Sundara, that's ridiculous. 100mW would be way more than enough. I would go with iFi Zen DAC over K5 Pro. K5 Pro's DAC is not good, and you really don't need that much power.

I use a OPPO HA-2 portable on low gain with the volume dial turned half way, and that's plenty loud for me. On the DX3 Pro (which I recently sold) I listen at -10dB on low gain. The problem I had with the DX3 is that the volume is digital, so whenever I switch sources or formats there is a loud, full-volume pop which is annoying.

OP
P

pablomelguera

Thanks for that bro. I've read people reviewing the Sundaras claiming that the more powefull the amp the greater the sound, no matter the volume. I dont know if that makes any sence, because this is my first dac amp experience.

I've ordered mi FiiO K5 Pro yesterday. I ll post the results here.

Veri

Master Contributor
Thanks for that bro. I've read people reviewing the Sundaras claiming that the more powefull the amp the greater the sound, no matter the volume. I dont know if that makes any sence, because this is my first dac amp experience.
If an amp has barely enough power then yes it might clip and distort. But as long as you don't drive it to saturation, the "more powerful the greater the sound" is bull..

Top Bottom