• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!
OP
M

Maxdiken

Well I have owned the Audeze LCD-XC and they were my favorite Audeze. 1.3k usd though, large and heavy too.
Yeaaaaah well... I'd prefer looking for something more affordable if possible.

Trell

Major Contributor
Yeaaaaah well... I'd prefer looking for something more affordable if possible.
I’ve the closed back Beyerdynamic DT1770 that’s sounds nice to me, though I prefer the open back DT1990. It’s more sensitive than the DT770 so it will go louder for the same voltage from a headphone amp.

OP
M

Maxdiken

I’ve the closed back Beyerdynamic DT1770 that’s sounds nice to me, though I prefer the open back DT1990. It’s more sensitive than the DT770 so it will go louder for the same voltage from a headphone amp.

I haven't heard much good in favor of the DT-1770 when compared to the DT-770, is it justified or just are people just die hard DT-770 fans ?

Trell

Major Contributor
I haven't heard much good in favor of the DT-1770 when compared to the DT-770, is it justified or just are people just die hard DT-770 fans ?
Some like it while others don’t. You’ll have try out for yourself how it sounds as well as how well they fit you.

In the headphone forum on ASR they’re several threads were posters asks about closed headphones.

OP
M

Maxdiken

Some like it while others don’t. You’ll have try out for yourself how it sounds as well as how well they fit you.

In the headphone forum on ASR they’re several threads were posters asks about closed headphones.
Okay, I'll take a look around, but last I checked, it was either recommending <200€ head or over 800 bucks ones. Doesn't seem to be a lot of choices in-between for closed-back headphones besides DT-1770 and SRH1540. Might have to try one of these.

OP
M

Maxdiken

Also, is high impedance something to strive for ? I see a lot of high-end headphones with relatively low impedances. I assume they are easier to drive but doesn't it sound less detailed compared to high impedance ones when trying to listen thoroughly ?

unpluggged

Also, is high impedance something to strive for ?
Not so much.

I assume they are easier to drive
The lower is the headphone impedance, the higher is the current the amplifier has to output at the same power. So it's the other way around.

doesn't it sound less detailed compared to high impedance ones when trying to listen thoroughly ?
Sometimes they may sound less detailed precisely due to the fact that the amp distorts more due to the higher output current into lower impedance load.

OP
M

Maxdiken

The lower is the headphone impedance, the higher is the current the amplifier has to output at the same power. So it's the other way around.
Wow I really felt like the consensus around it was the opposite. Does that mean an amp is more important for lower impedance headphones ?

unpluggged

Does that mean an amp is more important for lower impedance headphones ?
Yes. It should have low output impedance and high current capacity. For high impedance phones, these requirements are not as strict, provided the amp outputs enough voltage to drive the higher impedance phones. And even if it does not, this would result just in lower than desired volume, not in amp clipping/saturation.

OP
M

Maxdiken

Yes. It should have low output impedance and high current capacity. For high impedance phones, these requirements are not as strict, provided the amp outputs enough voltage to drive the higher impedance phones. And even if it does not, this would result just in lower than desired volume, not in amp clipping/saturation.
So how does one choose between low and high impedance when you have a capable amp ?

JaMaSt

Forum Donor
OP
M

Maxdiken

Honestly I'm not sure what I should do. I can still return my DT-770 but I wouldn't know what else to take even if I were to spend 200€ more. I'm considering buying high-end open-back headphones in the future in addition to my closed-back ones but I still need the latter as my main ones. I'm not saying the DT-770 are not satisfactory to my ears, music sounds great (even better with some slight EQing) although I haven't listened to a lot of jazz nor classical music with them. The thing is that I haven't had anything else to compare to since my HyperX Cloud II, which is obviously not an ideal comparison.

unpluggged

So how does one choose between low and high impedance when you have a capable amp ?
By looking at more important characteristics, such as frequency response, distortion, sensitivity, comfort, build quality, and such ;)

OP
M

Maxdiken

By looking at more important characteristics, such as frequency response, distortion, sensitivity, comfort, build quality, and such ;)
Talking about frequency response, I've been wondering... what's the point of having a frequency response higher than 20kHz ? Surely when some headphones go up to 40 or even 50kHz, there has to be some utility to it, but is it music related ?

Trell

Major Contributor
Talking about frequency response, I've been wondering... what's the point of having a frequency response higher than 20kHz ? Surely when some headphones go up to 40 or even 50kHz, there has to be some utility to it, but is it music related ?
It’s a marketing tick in the box, nothing more. Pretty useless.

OP
M

Maxdiken

I've decided to keep my Fiio K5 Pro ESS for now and I ordered the DT-1770 Pro to compare to my DT-770 Pro. To that I'll probably add open-back headphones such as the HD650 in the future for more variety. Thank you everyone for the insightful inputs!

b7676

With beyerdynamic, their higher impedance voicecoils are of superior quality (finer wire, more windings) and thus exhibit less distortion moving through the permanent magnet.

unpluggged

With beyerdynamic, their higher impedance voicecoils are of superior quality (finer wire, more windings) and thus exhibit less distortion moving through the permanent magnet.
Other than the damping factor differences, this appears to be more of a marketing thing.

OP
M

Maxdiken

Another question concerning RCA cables... are they mandatory for a stack and/or a combo and if not, what advantages do they give ? I'm not sure I understand if they are a replacement for USB/Coax/Opt either.

Top Bottom