• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90 Balanced USB DAC Review

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The Supra cables look certified, so they might be decent.
I think that length limits are not normative in USB standards, they are informative. Instead, they specify electrical properties, and with good design, a somewhat longer cable can be built that meets the requirements.

Dclone

5m is the absolute limit for USB 2.0 devices (almost all USB inputs on DACs). I don’t know what to tell you but that’s the published specifications. There is a reason why USB or HDMI are not used for Networking.
Yes. Agree with The ”5 meter” rule, but, 10 meters works perfectly without any problem or sound degradation together with D90 MQA, 10 heard old Asus laptop tinning latest Windows 10 (SSD disc). I do not think Supra would do a non function cable which use solely is for HiFi/audio. I bought the cable from a well known and highly regarded HiFi store. Several of my ”HiFi friends” have done the same. I have Supras LoRad 5 meter and 10 meter cables. I can not hear any difference at all between them. But the cable that came with the unit was really crap, crappier than crap. Lots of problems with that one. So, USB cable matters.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes. Agree with The ”5 meter” rule, but, 10 meters works perfectly without any problem or sound degradation together with D90 MQA, 10 heard old Asus laptop tinning latest Windows 10 (SSD disc). I do not think Supra would do a non function cable which use solely is for HiFi/audio. I bought the cable from a well known and highly regarded HiFi store. Several of my ”HiFi friends” have done the same. I have Supras LoRad 5 meter and 10 meter cables. I can not hear any difference at all between them. But the cable that came with the unit was really crap, crappier than crap. Lots of problems with that one. So, USB cable matters.

It’s just that with such a paranoia driven hobby I wouldn’t rest knowing that I’m exceeding the technical conditions. But that’s just me.

SwissBear

Forum Donor
Hi @JohnYang1997,

I’m on contemplating the purchase of Topping D90.

Could you please help me understand how this DAC is handling the clock signals of its I2S input. Is it reclocking them according to its own internal clock (internal clock is master) or is it just processing them as they are (I2S clock is master) ?

Thanks,

Pierre

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
5m is the absolute limit for USB 2.0 devices (almost all USB inputs on DACs). I don’t know what to tell you but that’s the published specifications.
Right, but there's always Corning that does things differently: https://www.corning.com/optical-cables-by-corning/worldwide/en/products/usb-optical-cables.html. And it also measures like a regular USB cable: http://archimago.blogspot.com/2015/05/measurements-corning-usb-3-optical.html. Of course, only if price is not an issue. :)

There is a reason why USB or HDMI are not used for Networking.
Definitely, but again manufacturers added HDMI-Ethernet extenders; I've tested couple of these and within 100 meters the Full HD quality was very good.

Veri

Master Contributor

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Right, but there's always Corning that does things differently: https://www.corning.com/optical-cables-by-corning/worldwide/en/products/usb-optical-cables.html. And it also measures like a regular USB cable: http://archimago.blogspot.com/2015/05/measurements-corning-usb-3-optical.html. Of course, only if price is not an issue. :)

Definitely, but again manufacturers added HDMI-Ethernet extenders; I've tested couple of these and within 100 meters the Full HD quality was very good.

So they’re changing the electrical signal to optical and back to electrical?

That sounds like a great solution. It’s basically an optical out when it’s connected to a DAC.

SwissBear

Forum Donor
Hi @JohnYang1997,

I’m on contemplating the purchase of Topping D90.

Could you please help me understand how this DAC is handling the clock signals of its I2S input. Is it reclocking them according to its own internal clock (internal clock is master) or is it just processing them as they are (I2S clock is master) ?

Thanks,

Pierre

For the purpose of record, I asked this question to the technical support of Topping which answered that the I2S input of the D90 was not recloked.

Mikechw

For the purpose of record, I asked this question to the technical support of Topping which answered that the I2S input of the D90 was not recloked.

I suppose the purpose for using hdmi-i2s input is to use the better clock signal from it.

auronthas

Yes. Agree with The ”5 meter” rule, but, 10 meters works perfectly without any problem or sound degradation together with D90 MQA, 10 heard old Asus laptop tinning latest Windows 10 (SSD disc).
For audio, extra long USB 3.0 cable may be still ok as data transmission rate is not as high compare to video.

hmscott

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is the 5.0.0 driver for the D90 only for Windows? What is it improve?
Thanks for the heads up that there is a new driver for us at Toppings download page:
V5.0.0 driver for E30, D10, D10s, D50, D50s, D70, D70s, D90, DX3 Pro, DX7 Pro.-TOPPING (tpdz.net)

"V5.0.0 driver for E30, D10, D10s, D50, D50s, D70, D70s, D90, DX3 Pro, DX7 Pro.
Version: V5.0.0

Download here

Please noted that this driver is not for D30 and DX7(DX7s is OK)"

The "readme.txt" file isn't much more informative, except to tell us the update date:

"2019.12.04

The driver and configuration guide are suitable for all TOPPING DACs that need to be installed driver (except D30, DX7)."

The only newly dated item in the unzipped folder structure is the "Topping_UsbAudio_v5.0.0_setup.exe" dated 1/13/21

@JohnYang1997 - John, please, what are the driver changes? Are there new features or bug fixes?, or is this an update to support new hardware - D70s?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 65

It’s just that with such a paranoia driven hobby I wouldn’t rest knowing that I’m exceeding the technical conditions. But that’s just me.

Supra cables are reasonably priced & show me a cable manufacturer publishing their specs as Supra does.

Technical Info
Mechanical Specifications
StandardUSB 2.0 Hi-Speed ConnectorsUSB A male ► USB B male Signal DirectionBi-directional Application Examples Computer peripherals, DAC's Data transfer rate480Mbit/sSolder TinAlmit SR-34 Super Cable strain reliefMolded connector housing

Electrical properties
Number of pairs2piecesLead area0.24 / 23mm2 / AWGNumber of strands 19piecesStrand dimensionØ 0.127mmLead materialTin plated oxygen-free 5N copper InsulationLow capacitance PE ShieldingAluminized PET foil JacketHeat and age resistant PVC Flame retardantNo External dimensionØ 7.5mm

Electrical performance
Data transfer rate480Mbit / sResistance72Ohm / kmCapacitance52pF / mImpedance90OhmVelocity factor0.66xC (speed of light)

nelamvr6

Forum Donor
Thanks for the heads up that there is a new driver for us at Toppings download page:
V5.0.0 driver for E30, D10, D10s, D50, D50s, D70, D70s, D90, DX3 Pro, DX7 Pro.-TOPPING (tpdz.net)

"V5.0.0 driver for E30, D10, D10s, D50, D50s, D70, D70s, D90, DX3 Pro, DX7 Pro.
Version: V5.0.0

Download here

Please noted that this driver is not for D30 and DX7(DX7s is OK)"

The "readme.txt" file isn't much more informative, except to tell us the update date:

"2019.12.04

The driver and configuration guide are suitable for all TOPPING DACs that need to be installed driver (except D30, DX7)."

The only newly dated item in the unzipped folder structure is the "Topping_UsbAudio_v5.0.0_setup.exe" dated 1/13/21

@JohnYang1997 - John, please, what are the driver changes? Are there new features or bug fixes?, or is this an update to support new hardware - D70s?

It doesn't mention D90 MQA. This is a windows driver, yes?

Top Bottom