• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90 Balanced USB DAC Review

da Choge

Forum Donor
But only one is USB.
Correct, only one is a USB-B AUDIO input. There are two other USB-A input/outputs which most likely can be used for USB sticks, USB external drives, or just to power/charge a 5V device. I think what the first responder was hoping for is a unit with multiple switchable/selectable USB AUDIO inputs; not sure if there are any components (other than pro) with such.

Last edited:

eduardw

Forum Donor
It was me who was asking for a dac with multiple usb inputs. But I got i2s working for d90 and shanling et3 so for now no need for additional usb inputs :)

cpachris

Looking for some advice. I just got the Topping D90 III Sabre. Loving the sound so far. But I no longer get gapless playback. I'm using Roon, and now I get about a 1/2 second pause in between tracks on an album or playlist. Is this a setting I'm missing somewhere?

quintilian

Anyone used the D90 along with an iPhone/iPad with USB-C? I got the lightning camera connector but it obviously doesn't fit my iPhone 15 which has USB-C.

I've tried USB-C between my iPhone and Qudelix k5 and it doesn't work, so I'm a bit hesitant to get a D90 if it turns out that it doesn't work either....

plikestechno

It probably wont work. I tried with an 11 pro max and it never would work. It might work if you have a powered hub in the middle but whenever i tried to do it, the iphone would always say not enouh power and the sound would not transfer.

plikestechno

Apparently it needs that newer camera connector where one cable goes to the phone, one cable goes to a power supply and one cable goes to the dac.

zonk

I used a D90 and D90SE with an Iphone and the "Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter". And it worked perfect, but the adapter has no USB-C.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2AM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter

Don't know if there is a USB-C version of it available.

Edit:
This could be the updated version with USB-C
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MUF82AM/A/usb-c-digital-av-multiport-adapter

This adapter could work too, but has no seperate input for a power supply
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MJ1M2AM/A/usb-c-to-usb-adapter

But I have no personal experience with this two USB-C adapters.

Last edited:

quintilian

Thank you both.

I spoke to the company importing them to my country and they have experience with it working with a standard usb-c -> usb-b connector.

I'll report back if I give it a go! Currently in limbo if I should order or not :)

zonk

I suppose it has to be an OTG cable. It still has the disadvantage that the Iphone's battery is not charged during listening to music.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Anyone used the D90 along with an iPhone/iPad with USB-C? I got the lightning camera connector but it obviously doesn't fit my iPhone 15 which has USB-C.

I don’t have a USB-C iPhone to try it with, but a USB-C iPad Pro works just fine with the D90, using a plain USB-C to USB-B cable.

MrTrebor

I've tried USB-C between my iPhone and Qudelix k5 and it doesn't work, so I'm a bit hesitant to get a D90 if it turns out that it doesn't work either....
It works on mine (iPhone 15 Pro Max). I’m using the Apple USB-C to USB Adapter. I’ve used it with both the D90le, and the D90 III.

cpachris

I don’t have a USB-C iPhone to try it with, but a USB-C iPad Pro works just fine with the D90, using a plain USB-C to USB-B cable.
It works on mine (iPhone 15 Pro Max). I’m using the Apple USB-C to USB Adapter. I’ve used it with both the D90le, and the D90 III.

Thank you both for the replies. Not sure why....but a couple days into the new equipment everything was working perfectly with gapless playback. I didn't change anything....so not sure what happened...but all is good.

Top Bottom