• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90 Balanced USB DAC Review

hmscott

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It doesn't mention D90 MQA. This is a windows driver, yes?
The D90 MQA uses the same Windows OS driver install.

MacOS, iOS, and Android don't need a Topping driver install.
My DAC isn't connected to a Windows machine, I guess I'll sit this one out.
The D90 MQA has a firmware update specifically to address an early D90 MQA MacOS bug.

D90 MQA version V1.24 firmware update 2020-07-01 11:19

You can check your D90 MQA firmware version by running the firmware update program: ToppingUsbAudioDfu_V4.82.exe

Check the displayed Current Firmware:
D90 MQA Firmware Version - check using firmware updater.JPG

I've updated my D90 MQA to Firmware v1.24 as my D90 MQA came from the 1st production run, and it was delivered June 2nd, 2020, about a month before the Firmware v1.24 updater was released.

Most likely your D90 MQA will already have shipped with the v1.24 firmware, but it is probably a good idea to double-check, especially if your D90 MQA is connected to a Mac.

Last edited:

nelamvr6

Forum Donor
The D90 MQA uses the same Windows OS driver install.

MacOS, iOS, and Android don't need a Topping driver install.

The D90 MQA has a firmware update specifically to address an early D90 MQA MacOS bug.

D90 MQA version V1.24 firmware update 2020-07-01 11:19

You can check your D90 MQA firmware version by running the firmware update program: ToppingUsbAudioDfu_V4.82.exe

Check the displayed Current Firmware:
View attachment 106616
I've updated my D90 MQA to Firmware v1.24 as my D90 MQA came from the 1st production run, and it was delivered June 2nd, 2020, about a month before the Firmware v1.24 updater was released.

Most likely your D90 MQA will already have shipped with the v1.24 firmware, but it is probably a good idea to double-check, especially if your D90 MQA is connected to a Mac.

It arrived with the old firmware but I did update it when it arrived.

I have not had any issues with my D90 MQA, so far it's been wonderful.

But I don't have any D90 drivers installed anywhere right now, so there's nothing for me to update. My DAC is attached to my Rasperry Pi4, just keeping the music flowing!

Last edited:

ArturoKiwi

I'm sorry if this is a noob question: I use a RPi4 with Moode Audio, it is better to use a good USB cable or hdmi as i2s output to connect a D90 or similar dac?

mocenigo

Major Contributor
I'm sorry if this is a noob question: I use a RPi4 with Moode Audio, it is better to use a good USB cable or hdmi as i2s output to connect a D90 or similar dac?

I do not think that the Pi HDMI output can work as a IIS. However, USB is really fine from a pi4. Less noisy than a Pi3 and WAY less noisy than a common PC.

Guddu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thank you very kindly!:)
My power amp input impedance is about 30 kOhm, and, I believe, I should be O.K. using D90 direct.

Hi, did you ever get answer to this? I am also wondering the same for 38KOhm input amplifier.
Anyone can tell?

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Guys, I am using XLR splitters to drive two power amps, with input impedances of 48KΩ and 50KΩ respectively, this means that the D90 sees a load of about 24.49KΩ and this is absolutely no problem.

Now, the old RCA Radiotron Designers Handbook recommended a 5 to 1 minimum ratio, and to get some extra safety the usual recommendation is 10 to 1. One should actually ensure that a factor 5, or 10, be maintained across the audio range, and this in fact can vary. I would say that my ratio of about 80 (IIRC the d90 XLR output impedance is 300Ω) gives a lot of margin. 30KΩ and 38KΩ are even safer...

EDIT: the D90's output impedance is 100 ohms single-ended, 200 ohms balanced. even better!

Last edited:

auronthas

No problem with 47k ohm integrated amplifier (200W per CH @ 8ohm) XLR balanced connection to D90

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Now, people should understand that this is relatively simple arithmetic. The impedances determine the efficiency of the signal transmission. Hence, if the output impedance of the source is A and the input impedance of the sink is B the efficiency is B/(A+B). This can vary a bit also depending on the frequency and can vary significantly in vacuum tube devices. That’s one of the many reason there were input and output transformers, both to adapt the impedances but also to make them more regular.

There are also other factors, but with modern opamps and also with modern class D amps when you have a factor of 100 — or even much less than that — the ability of a DAC’s output stage to directly drive an amplifier should be the least of your worries.

fendy323

hiii ~
i have a basic question,
Usually after use, i just turn off the unit (press power off) or have to turn off the button on the back of the unit huh?

Because all this time I just press the power off without turning off the back button, but if suddenly power failure and turns on or when I turn on the PC, it automatically turns this topping on too, will this damage in the long term ?

Toku

Major Contributor
hiii ~
i have a basic question,
Usually after use, i just turn off the unit (press power off) or have to turn off the button on the back of the unit huh?

Because all this time I just press the power off without turning off the back button, but if suddenly power failure and turns on or when I turn on the PC, it automatically turns this topping on too, will this damage in the long term ?
Topping's DAC has an automatic sleep / wake, so I keep the power switch on all the time.

Naturlig

Now, people should understand that this is relatively simple arithmetic. The impedances determine the efficiency of the signal transmission. Hence, if the output impedance of the source is A and the input impedance of the sink is B the efficiency is B/(A+B). This can vary a bit also depending on the frequency and can vary significantly in vacuum tube devices. That’s one of the many reason there were input and output transformers, both to adapt the impedances but also to make them more regular.

There are also other factors, but with modern opamps and also with modern class D amps when you have a factor of 100 — or even much less than that — the ability of a DAC’s output stage to directly drive an amplifier should be the least of your worries.

What is the input impedance of the digital AES? No info in the user manual as far as I can see.

mocenigo

Major Contributor
What is the input impedance of the digital AES? No info in the user manual as far as I can see.

I have no idea, sorry (also, this is irrelevant to the current discussion, which is about a pre/dac out driving a power amp)

Naturlig

I have no idea, sorry (also, this is irrelevant to the current discussion, which is about a pre/dac out driving a power amp)

OK, if someone knows, I will be glad for the answer. I use a 110 ohm balanced cable and have had 2 situations when the D90 lost sync to my CEC TL5 cd player. Just wondered about the impedance values here.

mash

Looking for recommendations on how to deal with 2 inputs into the D90 that ideally would both use USB.

Today, I use my PC as the main audio source for my office setup. Along the road, I added a Matrix Audio Element H USB board to clean the USB output up and run that directly into a D90. I mainly play cd flac rips, Tidal, and Spotify but also listen to things like youtube. Over time, I've evolved to using Roon my Tidal and home library listening but I still listen to Spotify/youtube through PC based software. I'm really happy with the soud of this setup but have started thinking about using a network streaming endpoint for Roon (maybe a RPi) to completely bypass my PC. If I choose to go that route, it brings up another problem....both my PC and the PI streamer are going to want to use the USB input on the D90 (assuming that I run all D2A activity through the D90). My questions are:

Do people think that going to a RPi streaming endpoint would really make that much of a difference over using my PC for Roon network streaming duties (given the USB audio board in my PC)?

Is there a simple audio grade USB switch that works for these types of situations?

Should I just add something like the Topping D10S to my PC (for Spotify/Youtube) and have the D90 focus on the Roon processing?

Any other thoughts/advice would be appreciated.

rcstevensonaz

Is there an effective way to provide feedback to Topping on a possible UI improvement?

While in DAC mode, I would like to be able to trigger "mute" from the front panel (i.e., without having to find the remote control). In Pre-amp mode, I hold down the volume keys until 0; but there is currently no way to mute from the front panel while in DAC mode*.

Option 1: [For DAC mode] Instead of just disabling the volume control, the volume keys toggle "mute" (on/off) -- both keys do the same since function is toggle and you are often quickly trying to shut it up when a call comes in.

Option 2: [For DAC & Preamp mode] Modify the the selector button as follows to add a mute capability that works the same on both
  • Push: current behavior to rotate between inputs
  • Short hold: mute on / mute off
  • Long hold: power off
* This is not technically true... I could (a) hold down the "SEL" key to turn the DAC off, or (b) push the "sel" key to move to a different input that doesn't have anything playing. But, I think options 1 or 2 above are more elegant solutions for a high-end audio device :cool:

damascato79

Hey guys,

my D90 is connected to my mac via USB and XLR connected to an A90 amp: is there any technical/quality difference in having it in preamp or pure DAC mode?

Cheers!

(I'm a noob...)

pLudio

Forum Donor
my D90 is connected to my mac via USB and XLR connected to an A90 amp: is there any technical/quality difference in having it in preamp or pure DAC mode?
DSD is converted to PCM in pre-amp mode so the volume can be adjusted digitally. I wouldn't worry about a difference in quality.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Hey guys,

Cheers!

(I'm a noob...)

DAC mode typically locks in 100% volume. No different than turning it up all the way.

It may need to be in pure DAC mode to process DSD, but that's not something I think about.

No need to worry if you are missing anything.

da Choge

Forum Donor
Crazy question here -- Does anyone (hint; i.e. John Yang) know of any Topping plans to build and release another equivalent or better DAC than the D90 or D90 MQA? NOT that there is any need for anything better, but the D90/D90 MQA is now becoming very hard to acquire due to the unfortunate razing of the Asahi Kasei factory (which manufactured the AK4499 chip). I have a Topping D90 MQA (silver) for my bedroom setup, and like it very much. Would love to get one in black for my living room setup, but they are hard to find now, and always at the full retail (or much higher) price. Don't absolutely need an AK chip to be involved, but I might prefer it over the ESS chip-based DACs (don't ask for logical reasons why; I just like the D90's implementation of the AK chip). Of course a new unit with an AK chip is not likely to emerge for quite some time since all of the AK chip sources will be exhausted soon, and the AK4499 chip itself may not be in production again, soon, or ever. But, if something equivalent (both in performance and esthetics of the D90) was in the works, I might be inclined to wait.

Veri

Master Contributor
Crazy question here -- Does anyone (hint; i.e. John Yang) know of any Topping plans to build and release another equivalent or better DAC than the D90 or D90 MQA?
I know that they're working on future device(s) that hopefully displace the current #1 measuring one. So yeah they are shooting for the stars so to speak. Who knows when such a device is ready to market though, it's likely still in R&D phase.

But they don't sit on their asses, they are working on it; yes. Especially given the AKM situation.

Top Bottom