• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TOPPING Audio Interfaces Coming soon!

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Considering what it is intended for, it's not disappointing at all. Given the uncertain success and no doubt initially limited numbers, going all out on both the analog stages / headphone amp and the converter complement alike seems like it would have been a major risk at that kind of price point. Other 2x2 interfaces with better DAC performance are all more expensive. On the ADC side I'd rather have an AK4621EF than the AK55xx filter ripple anyway (that wouldn't be ideal for non-acoustic measurements either).

I guess the next best upgrade option would be ES9820 + AK4490R / AK4493S or CS43198 or ES9028Q2M / ES9038Q2M? I bet that might get pricing pretty close to MOTU M2 / Scarlett 2i2 4th Gen territory, but it may be worth a shot. AK4490REQ seems to be widely available now but apparently has not quite made it to market in finished products yet. (120 dB(A) is not worth getting up for or something?) A set of 100 ES9820 + AK4490REQ each would set you back US$9.60 at Mouser, and no doubt a good bit less still in volume (approaching $7 I guess). Seems a lot more sensible than other combos we've seen lately. (I do have to wonder what MOTU are paying for ES9026PROs, or Focusrite for CS5381s.)

half_dog

Fortunately, @JohnYang1997 has commented that the second batch ships with 1.5k, as well as 10k on the line-in.

I'm not sure why it was that low to begin with. Keeping CMRR degradation from input capacitor tolerances at bay? But then going for a T-type topology for the input Rs and Cs would address that as well... say 2.2k+2.2k / 22k...100k and 470p+470p / 22p. RF is kept out well, while practical CMRR should remain high throughout the band as common-mode input impedance is dominated by 22k...100k || 22p.
@JohnYang1997
For who probably have acquired the first batch (2308800XXX) there any way to increase its input impedance replacing some internal resistors or it involves more than it? Is possible to ask for a replacement? :(
It is noticeable some sound changes at a SM57 (I can correct on EQ but...) when compared to my old US 366. Although noise level is incredible low it does concern me for others high impedance mics.

lkanies

Forum Donor
What is that based on?
Just based on my relatively uninformed reading of the specs of the interface and my headphones. I haven't really got a handle on the specific numbers, so I'm kind of switching between high level wording ("hard to drive") and trying to understand the numbers in question. I agree that Julian's video seems to indicate that I should be fine with this interface.
From Julian Krause' numbers and Amir's measurement of the Noire it looks like it should drive them to >105 dB.
I am quite far from being able to read the various numbers and come to that conclusion. :) But I am not surprised that others can do so, nor that I was wrong about it.

I haven't used a headphone amp in almost 20 years, and there I was compensating for an absolutely atrocious PC headphone out, so it was super clear (and I was using it mostly for the DAC).
I have the Noire myself and I think that should be fine.
That's good to hear.
My hesitation is from other aspects, as Julian says, some of the measured results are a minor disappointment compared to their own previous products, or the competition.
The numbers may be below audible, but I want to use it for measurements too.
Thankfully I have far simpler needs -- just a couple of mics hooked up for video calls and a podcast or two a year, plus headphones and balanced out for speakers.
So it may be adequate but it's not a "shut up and take my money" deal.
I may wait for the second batch, with better input impedance, before I buy.
I just bought a Topping A90 Pro last week because I thought this would not suffice (although I made a mistake when buying it, and am going to return it regardless, because I made a mistake when I ordered it). So for me, buying this would save me a lot of money, and result in a much simpler setup.

Thanks for the skeptical feedback.

lkanies

Forum Donor
I am interested in what solution you settle for friend

A powerful audio interface would clean so much desk clutter for me :)
After seeing Julian's video, with better than I was expecting output... I'm probably actually going to buy this.

It won't put out as much power as one of their dedicated amplifiers. But for my needs (which are relatively minimal), it's probably the right compromise between performance and usability. Multiple other people use my desk, and I was really fretting over finding an amp that had physical controls so it was easy to use. It seems much easier (and is definitely cheaper) to just buy this and accept the small compromises, at least until they put out a "pro" version.

I just wish the mic inputs were on the back. I know this is how musicians like it, for easy connection of instruments. But I never disconnect mine so it's just annoying having them on the front.

lkanies

Forum Donor
So... is this not available for sale anywhere? The AliExpress link lists it as unavailable, and no one else has it. I guess it will show up in the US eventually? Or have they pulled it from the market for some reason?

half_dog

So... is this not available for sale anywhere? The AliExpress link lists it as unavailable, and no one else has it. I guess it will show up in the US eventually? Or have they pulled it from the market for some reason?
I have one with me. It was bought from Aliexpress' Topping Store. Although its low input impedance for the XLR connection which can cause some audible differences relying on the mic connected, the interface works pretty well.

lkanies

Forum Donor
I have one with me. It was bought from Aliexpress' Topping Store.
now the AliExpress store just says “Sorry, this item is no longer available!”. so something has changed. I’ll just keep an eye on it.

half_dog

now the AliExpress store just says “Sorry, this item is no longer available!”. so something has changed. I’ll just keep an eye on it.
Yes, I saw it. And more, their webpage topping.pro is offline as well.
Until this I had good experiences (believe or not) with Topping but this doesn't build confidence.

aswillman

Noticed this myself. They’re active on Discord but it is a National Holiday week so that may explain why things haven’t been sorted yet.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Judging by company's mentality about another of their products that didn't go well according to their comments (in terms of sales I guess,think it was DM7) although had a warm welcome here (I know,not an index of the vast market out of there,but..) and the participation in the couple of threads around,I don't see any bright future.
But who knows.

paudio

Seems for sale again now. Perhaps due to the input impedance changes. Looks like a real good value if you want a decent headphone out, decent inputs and balanced outputs. I might pick one up

JSmith

Master Contributor
@amirm's review is up on the E2X2;

JSmith

leocb

I got one from the Official Topping AliExpress store.
Really like it, the software control is really good and now I finally have an Amp out that can properly drive my DT770 150ohm headphone
The Inputs quality are really good; I did some folly recording with it and was impressed by the low noise floor, at least when compared to my old ****** UM2.
If you guys have any questions about it, just ask :)

paudio

I may snag one of these. Can do double duty as everyday use interface and headphone amp at my desk.

OP

192kbps

Addicted to Fun and Learning
8-channel delay, unfortunately it does not have ADAT.

Tokyo_John

Forum Donor
As someone already mentioned, this is a tough market to get into...a lot of big companies with hugely popular and long-established products. The cheapest end, such as the "Focusrite Scarlett" level, is especially tough as it is flooded with many competitors selling AIs at around $200 USD (+/-). Yet that is where most of the sales are to be found.

Also, clinical sound reproduction is Topping's forte, however, is not as important in this segment. Musicians, narrators, etc., all like to add color and tweak the sound. Knowledgable buyers will often seek out the kind of sound characteristics that a long established product is known to produce, which gives the long established products a distinct advantage over newcomers.

Anyways, after thinking about this for a while, I think I'll stick with my ISA-Clarett+ combo (mainly for vocals, but also as a DI for bass and guitar).

zhora

Also, clinical sound reproduction is Topping's forte, however, is not as important in this segment. Musicians, narrators, etc., all like to add color and tweak the sound. Knowledgable buyers will often seek out the kind of sound characteristics that a long established product is known to produce, which gives the long established products a distinct advantage over newcomers.
While true to an extent, you usually don't want the converters adding color. Some people "clip their converters" or prefer ones that do some sort of analog saturation front end to the conversion but like 99% of people just want their ADC to be as invisible as possible.

I think I said this already but my wish for a topping product is a high quality 8 in/out ADAT converter.

Top Bottom