• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TOPPING Audio Interfaces Coming soon!

Sokel

Master Contributor
If a powerful headphone amplifier is on board, it will draw power accordingly. Therefore, I prefer interfaces that have a separate power input.
it can also come handy for someone using it for measurements (even if it's not the low-noise champion we thought it would be) to power it with a battery or an ultra low noise PS IF it switches internally when detects external power.

So,we have some waiting to do until we find out.

Kane1972

The second USB-C on the back must be power input,can't think of anything else.
Let's hope it's only optional.
You can still run the power from a computer USB port, you would just have two USB cables, one for data and the other for power (maybe).

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My interest is remote recordings where not needing to plug into the wall is a big plus.

Kane1972

My interest is remote recordings where not needing to plug into the wall is a big plus.
Totally get you. To be honest, my old TC interface, although it came with a wall wart, I always ran it straight from the Firewire for convenience, even though performance (specs) were meant to improve with the wall wart.

But if you can run the power from the laptop via a second USB cable, then that should be fine for you. With the extra power allowed via USB-C, wall warts should become less and less I would expect.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Good point!
However, the choice among audio interfaces is very diverse nowadays. On the other hand, they are all very similar - actually totally boring, the topic.

I currently have a Tascam US-1x2HR in use that is supplied with data and power via USB. This has the price that the headphone output is not particularly strong. Most of the time, however, it's still loud enough for me. BTW I also have a Topping L30II headphone amplifier with external power supply 15V 1A, which is much stronger.

Last edited:

Sombreuil

Looks promising. Will have to see how stable it is and how good their drivers are. Everything else barely matters in the world of audio interfaces since they're all capable of recording the next grammy awards anyway.

Mario Sanchez

No digital I/O except the USB?

Edit:No phantom power either?
Can't see the back connections well (the ones that goes to active speakers),I hope they are balanced.
There is P48, don't think there's digital I/O though, not on this device, maybe the bigger devices will have them?

Sokel

Master Contributor
There is P48, don't think there's digital I/O though, not on this device, maybe the bigger devices will have them?
Audio interfaces have digital I/O 20 years now,even then you had to go to 100 euros devices (like my E-MU 0204) if one didn't want one,from them up they all had if I'm not wrong.
(it's been about that time the last time I searched about interfaces)

usern

I kinda want to replace my stack of devices that is separate for headphones and microphone, but I need optical input also

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Audio interfaces have digital I/O 20 years now,even then you had to go to 100 euros devices (like my E-MU 0204) if one didn't want one,from them up they all had if I'm not wrong.
(it's been about that time the last time I searched about interfaces)
The Focusrite Scarlett range has been the best selling audio interface for years, specially their entry level ones, and they do not have digital I/O except USB. This is reserved only for the larger models in the range. Check Amazon review numbers, they are a good proxy of overall sales. Both Solo and 2i2 are extremely popular. I guess this is Topping's main competitors.

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
The Focusrite Scarlett range has been the best selling audio interface for years, specially their entry level ones, and they do not have digital I/O except USB. This is reserved only for the larger models in the range. Check Amazon review numbers, they are a good proxy of overall sales. Both Solo and 2i2 are extremely popular. I guess this is Topping's main competitors.
I guess the 100 euros devices of 20 years old are the 200 euros devices of now.
Makes sense.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It makes sense: if a bedroom musician is buying his/her first audio interface for recording him/herself, instrument + voice, that is enough. He/she does not have other devices to connect to other than instruments/mic and computer. Having a digital output on an audio interface supposes that he/she has other devices to connect to, so not entry level anymore. I own a 6i6 2nd gen with digital coax that I connected to a better DAC+HP amp at the time (now it is collecting dust in a drawer for years...).

Sokel

Master Contributor
It makes sense: if a bedroom musician is buying his/her first audio interface for recording him/herself, instrument + voice, that is enough. He/she does not have other devices to connect to other than instruments/mic and computer. Having a digital output on an audio interface supposes that he/she has other devices to connect to, so not entry level anymore. I own a 6i6 2nd gen with digital coax that I connected to a better DAC+HP amp at the time (now it is collecting dust in a drawer for years...).
Also makes sense for traveling,it's small,light,all you need is this and a small laptop.
Served me well for years but now I think there are even smaller ones.

Zensō

Major Contributor
Kinda of looks like performance roughly in line with an RME Babyface, which for $200 would be a big seller I think. Plus a better more powerful headphone amp. If it runs off USB (no wall wart) I'll probably try one.
With a lack of optical input and only 1/4” output, to me this looks more similar to the Focusrite 2i2 than the Babyface in both features and physical build. The Focusrite sells for $120. This Topping probably has a better headphone amp though.

In my opinion, the big question is how the drivers and software will perform. I’d argue that’s one of RME’s biggest differentiators.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Back when I was young, there was this great interface, the E-MU 0404 USB. It had stellar performance for its time (apart from headphone section), only that the drivers made it unusable. In the end, the vendor just abandoned any development, and the users were left on their own.
Fortunately, unlike in 2006, UAC 2.0 compliance is a thing.

No digital I/O except the USB?
To be fair, neither does a MOTU M2 or Scarlett 2i2 or similar. Performance seems to indicate something M2-like as well, if with a more powerful headphone amp. Competition would also include the likes of SSL 2 and Audient iD14 MkII, and perhaps Tascam US-2x2HR and UAA Volt 2 as well.
Edit:No phantom power either?
It would be extremely silly if it didn't have that, considering that sub-$50 interfaces do... probably controlled by one of the buttons around the jacks, or the big toggle switch at the back.
Can't see the back connections well (the ones that goes to active speakers),I hope they are balanced.
Looks like TRS jacks. Implementing an impedance-balanced output is quite trivial.

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking at the box drawing I see the Topping E2x2 as a clone of the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 as far as I/O and features, possibly better specs, but unknown driver quality and no track record of support as Focusrite has built over the years.

BeerBear

The Focusrite Scarlett range has been the best selling audio interface for years, specially their entry level ones, and they do not have digital I/O
To be fair, neither does a MOTU M2 or Scarlett 2i2 or similar. Performance seems to indicate something M2-like as well, if with a more powerful headphone amp. Competition would also include the likes of SSL 2 and Audient iD14 MkII, and perhaps Tascam US-2x2HR and UAA Volt 2 as well.
Just because the competition keeps churning out boring products, it doesn't excuse this one being the same.
I have nothing against Topping, but I'm also not a Topping shareholder, so I don't really care if they do well in this market. I'd rather see some interesting products with interesting features.
Oh well, maybe next time...

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I suppose their differentiating factor will be where they already excel today: excellent measurements, like lowest noise and distortion, HP output, etc.
But in this market this is a "nice to have", while rock solid drivers and support are "mandatory". So let's see how they step up to this new challenge for them.

Top Bottom