• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A30Pro Review (Balanced Headphone Amp)

Raex

The latter :/
Wow so not even coil-whine....thats interesting.
It seems that there are units without coil-whine or the speaker-thing, units with just coil-whine and units with both....wth

Sharur

If I can get a unit without coil whine I might have to do that...quite annoying

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
The coil-whine, the "internal speaker" or both?
The "internal speaker". Coil whine is probably just because there are venting holes hence it's more audible. It's very normal behavior. There's unit to unit variation. If it's too loud you can ask for a replacement.

Sharur

The "internal speaker". Coil whine is probably just because there are venting holes hence it's more audible. It's very normal behavior. There's unit to unit variation. If it's too loud you can ask for a replacement.
If the coil whine is normal behavior I'm not going to worry about it. The internal speaker isn't an issue under any normal conditions.

usern

If I can get a unit without coil whine I might have to do that...quite annoying
There's coil whine with INPUT switch OFF position also for my unit, but with window open and air purifier running I do not notice it. It is my second A30pro and both have had coil whine.

You could try getting big cloth mouse mat that absorbs high pitch reflections from desk and some sound absorbing panels to the back wall. If you use speakers then it's good to do that anyway.

Sharur

There's coil whine with INPUT switch OFF position also for my unit, but with window open and air purifier running I do not notice it. It is my second A30pro and both have had coil whine.

You could try getting big cloth mouse mat that absorbs high pitch reflections from desk and some sound absorbing panels to the back wall. If you use speakers then it's good to do that anyway.
I'll just use the off switch on the back

Raex

Thanks for the clarification, why the second A30pro? First one faulty?

usern

why the second A30pro? First one faulty?
Because of this:
My A30pro just died. RCA inputs (from D10s), ground lift on. Was playing a game at medium gain 12 o clock volume, heard a pop and then silence. The white led shut off. Can't get the unit to turn on any more. The shell temperature was around 41 degrees Celsius when it happened. Headphones survived.
HiFiGo.com was a good sport and refunded that unit after sending it back. I bought a new one from amazon.de since regulations of ordering outside EU have become more strict meanwhile and it's easier to deal with warranty inside EU.

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have to report that I also have a unit that has the coil whine issue. Coil whine is only present when the unit is warmed up, there is no coil whine when the unit is cold. Only solution is to completely shut of the power with the switch on the back... hopefully that switch is decent quality and doesn't wear out fast when used frequently.

Raex

Not happening on my A30pro. I'm using XLR inputs though.
Have you tried with RCA?

@Sharur Does is also happen when you use the XLR Inputs?

I'm fascinated by this, an electronic device that does something unintended that should not even be possible....a circuitry playing music itself, thats really something special haha

Sharur

Have you tried with RCA?

@Sharur Does is also happen when you use the XLR Inputs?

I'm fascinated by this, an electronic device that does something unintended that should not even be possible....a circuitry playing music itself, thats really something special haha
I don't have a balanced dac atm so cannot say I have

sanakimpro

So is the consensus that A30 pro is the most powerful and linear mid-range amp for single-ended headphones? Still looking for best amp for Beyer T1 600 ohms (1st gen) and debating Topping vs Schiit vs ifi. Probably not getting any balanced full-sized headphones but perhaps balanced IEMs in future. Any advice?

Last edited:

Sharur

So is the consensus that A30 pro is the most powerful and linear mid-range amp for single-ended headphones? Still looking for best amp for Beyer T1 600 ohms (1st gen) and debating Topping vs Schiit vs ifi. Probably not getting any balanced full-sized headphones but perhaps balanced IEMs in future. Any advice?
A magni heresy can easily drive those 600 ohm beyers to deafening levels as they are not too insensitive. Anything this amp can provide over the heresy will already be in the realm of incredibly high distortion. If you just want the best measuring single ended amp for extremely hard and extremely easy to drive loads, this is a good choice, but there will be absolutely zero audible benefits for the T1.
1628073615925.png

Last edited:

vco1

Coil whine is only present when the unit is warmed up, there is no coil whine when the unit is cold.
Warmed up and off? I'm a bit confused. Is this unit warm/hot even when it's not in use (i.e. not driving headphones)?

sanakimpro

A magni heresy can easily drive those 600 ohm beyers to deafening levels as they are not too insensitive. Anything this amp can provide over the heresy will already be in the realm of incredibly high distortion. If you just want the best measuring single ended amp for extremely hard and extremely easy to drive loads, this is a good choice, but there will be absolutely zero audible benefits for the T1.
View attachment 145440
Thanks, but I would like to keep the 4.4mm balanced for the benefit for IEMs. I really like amps offering both SE and balanced outputs. Hence, A30 Pro still better than Magni Heresy for me. I also own the less sensitive DT 990 / 600 ohm and apparently need around 250mW x 2 for 120dB SPL. Hence I would prefer ~300mW @ 600ohm as a threshold. This precludes both A90 and Schiit Magni Heresy.

Anything better than A30 Pro or no? Thanks for your time, friends.

Top Bottom