• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A30Pro Review (Balanced Headphone Amp)

Sharur

Thanks, but I would like to keep the 4.4mm balanced for the benefit for IEMs. I really like amps offering both SE and balanced outputs. Hence, A30 Pro still better than Magni Heresy for me. I also own the less sensitive DT 990 / 600 ohm and apparently need around 250mW x 2 for 120dB SPL. Hence I would prefer ~300mW @ 600ohm as a threshold. This precludes both A90 and Schiit Magni Heresy.

Anything better than A30 Pro or no? Thanks for your time, friends.
120 dB SPL on drivers with max rated SPL of 114 dB? The DT990s would produce nothing but garbage distorted sound at 114dB let alone 120 dB. If you want the balanced outputs, this is a fantastic choice nonetheless.

aandres_gm

Warmed up and off? I'm a bit confused. Is this unit warm/hot even when it's not in use (i.e. not driving headphones)?
Please re-read the post you're replying to. Where are you inferring anything about the power state of the device?

vco1

Please re-read the post you're replying to. Where are you inferring anything about the power state of the device?

Whoa! I was just asking a question. No other intention than to get clarification on what's happening. The situation in which the coil whine occurs wasn't exactly clear (to me) after @Lupin's post.

As to your question "Where are you inferring anything about the power state of the device?":
Only solution is to completely shut of the power with the switch on the back...

Apologies if you were upset or otherwise negatively impacted by my humble question.

For others who are more willing to answer: it seems that some A30 Pro's have coil whine when the unit is powered on at the back with the input switch at the front in the "Off" position. There are at least some mentions about this behaviour in this thread. @Lupin wrote "Coil whine is only present when the unit is warmed up (...)". The combination of an A30 Pro being warm(ed up) while the input is switched to "Off" is something I don't understand. Unless the A30 also warms up when it's not in use. Or does it mean the coil whine is only apparent after use, but disappears when the amp cools down. Hence my question: is the A30 Pro also warm (or even hot) when it is not in active use (i.e. no input active).

Hope this was clear and gentle enough. ;-)

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Let me put it this way

I use the A30Pro for some time, during usage it heats up. When I'm done using the A30Pro I flip the switch in the front to turn the A30pro "off". At that point I can clearly hear the coil whine until it flip the switch on the back to completely shut off the device.

When I flip the switch in the front to turn it "off" while the A30pro is cold/room temperature I don't hear any coil whine, flipping the switch on the back doesn't have any effect on the coil whine as there wasn't any to begin with.

Hope that clears up things a bit.

Last edited:

fokta

20210808_145914.jpg

20210808_150326.jpg
20210808_151149.jpg

Got a chance to demo this AMP.
Great build. quite heavy for the size.

things that get me questioning is Soundstage from each Jack output.
I find XLR headphones jack output more open soundstage, sound seems so obvious, by changing the cable only.
as we know, the XLR & 4.4 is just for convenience purpose..
well, just sharing my experience...

Compare to Asgard 3, A30 pro is more neutral tonality.

Sharur

View attachment 146221
View attachment 146222
View attachment 146223

I find XLR headphones jack output more open soundstage, sound seems so obvious, by changing the cable only.

Both Asgard 3 and A30Pro have flat frequency responses. Unless you are using high gain mode with low impedance headphones on Asgard 3 you won't be able to tell them apart blind.

aandres_gm

That's a clear case of placebo, as we know the connectors are there just for "show"

the_brunx

View attachment 146221
View attachment 146222
View attachment 146223

How much did you pay for your power cable?

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning

AshenD

Hello everyone, recently bought a D90se, since I'm new into this stuff, this amp is enough to drive my new DAC into 5v mode without any concern or i should leave it into its 4v mode?
Since all the review, tests and specs I've seen around talks about its performance with a 4v input, does it performs better or worse at 5v?
I'm most likely a gamer ( who want to enjoy them and movies too with an high quality and clean audio) that want to join this new world, in which I'm below 0.00x% of knowledge.
Thanks all of you in advance

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Hello everyone, recently bought a D90se, since I'm new into this stuff, this amp is enough to drive my new DAC into 5v mode without any concern or i should leave it into its 4v mode?
Since all the review, tests and specs I've seen around talks about its performance with a 4v input, does it performs better or worse at 5v?
I'm most likely a gamer ( who want to enjoy them and movies too with an high quality and clean audio) that want to join this new world, in which I'm below 0.00x% of knowledge.
Thanks all of you in advance
Both 4V and 5V works fine with A30pro. But I would default on 4V for heat dissipation on the D90se part. A30pro itself is already quite warm.
The unit will perform basically the same, as you would always attenuate the volume for listening.
Don't think too much and enjoy music. :)

AshenD

Really appreciate it @JohnYang1997 .
Going to explore this new hobby of mine and enjoy music aswell with a different perspective.
I'll stick around here trying to steal knowledge from all of you:cool:

sanakimpro

@JohnYang1997, I have a question: using a 2Vrms ODAC output, is there sufficient power headroom from A30 Pro to drive DR 990, 600ohm to loud levels (i.e. 115-120dB)? Or do I absolutely need balanced DAC to power this headphone?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
@JohnYang1997, I have a question: using a 2Vrms ODAC output, is there sufficient power headroom from A30 Pro to drive DR 990, 600ohm to loud levels (i.e. 115-120dB)? Or do I absolutely need balanced DAC to power this headphone?
I recommend getting a D10 Balanced.

usern

From EX5 thread:
JohnYang1997 said:
Heat dissipation in the components is engineered to be at an acceptable level. Unless you measure it and it shows 45+ on the chassis.
I've seen temps 47, 48, 49 Celsius during heat waves on my A30pro case. Should that be cause for concern?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
From EX5 thread:

I've seen temps 47, 48, 49 Celsius during heat waves on my A30pro case. Should that be cause for concern?
A little. You may want to improve air flow a bit. Maybe lift up a bit and make sure nothing is covering the top venting holes. Something like that.

Top Bottom