• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Thread Edit and Delete option

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
I would like the following options to be added to the forum.
  • Edit your own thread's title and its content's at any time.
  • Delete your thread at any time.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I'd like to be able to edit and/or delete someone else's thread and content.

OP
ThatM1key

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
I have some threads that I would like to update with info. I could always make a update post but it gets lost in the pages.

Hugo9000

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have some threads that I would like to update with info. I could always make a update post but it gets lost in the pages.
Send a PM to one of the moderators with the thread link, and include whatever changes you'd like to the thread title or opening post. I know they've updated threads after a polite request in the past.

OP
ThatM1key

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
If you're a forum donor, you can edit the title of your own threads, as well as edit the original post.
I got told the same thing by the mods. If I had a job, I would've donated.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I got told the same thing by the mods. If I had a job, I would've donated.
Although I wish you good luck landing a job soon, lack of a job may not be a good-enough excuse to NOT donate.
The cost of ASR upkeep probably don't grow on trees. I am also certain that the mods don't grow on trees either
Equally; me stating that "I don't have a job either but I donate anyways!" can be considered as lame, especially if I was to add that "I am not looking for one!"

OP
ThatM1key

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Although I wish you good luck landing a job soon, lack of a job may not be a good-enough excuse to NOT donate.
The cost of ASR upkeep probably don't grow on trees. I am also certain that the mods don't grow on trees either
Equally; me stating that "I don't have a job either but I donate anyways!" can be considered as lame, especially if I was to add that "I am not looking for one!"
I am looking for a job still but I have donated anyways because I like this site compared to other forums.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
It would be very rude for everyone who contributed to your thread after you opened it.

I have always thought that this is very rude. people have invested time to read, compute and respond. deleting others thoughts should be a power restricted to very few people only....and only for good reasons

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I have always thought that this is very rude. people have invested time to read, compute and respond. deleting others thoughts should be a power restricted to very few people only....and only for good reasons

I absolutely agree with that.

Once it's posted, it's part of the site...not part of someone's personal property. Deleting a post (that isn't overly profane or otherwise ridiculous) or thread is very rare, and it isn't going to happen just because the originator wants it to be.

We will sometimes close a thread an OP asks to be closed if we feel there's a good reason, but even there...just almost never happens, and it is almost never hidden or deleted if it is closed.

We try as a rule to let this place run with as little 'official' input/modification as possible.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
on other sites I’ve seen instances where the OP has edit permissions for a specific thread only when for example they maintain a list in their first post.
Other than that I see little benefit. In fact there have been cases where posters spit the dummy and go back and delete all their historical posts.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
In fact there have been cases where posters spit the dummy
And this is why we limited edit time for non donating members. A few quit and deleted their post out of spite making a mess. I know many have legitimate reason to want to edit but a few bad apples forced us into this decision.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I have only rarely needed to edit an older post and the mods have always been helpful when I have asked. Even when it has been just a thread title with a spelling error that drives me nuts (as I've said before, a short drive). So if it's really essential then just reach out to Amir and the mods by clicking the "Report" button at the bottom left of the post.

There are plenty of posts I wish I could edit or delete but in almost all cases they are best left as a learning experience for myself and others. A humbling reminder that I still have plenty of Stoopid Don Tricks left to live (post) and do not always respond correctly or reasonably. We (or maybe just I) can always have a bad day.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would like to know how to stop following a thread that I have had interest in but not anymore, feel is going on too long, being trolled etc. Can't figure how to turn those off. Maybe there is not yet a mechanism to stop following something. I for one like that option.

Great site @amirm. I like to read too many things here.:)

OP
ThatM1key

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
I would like to know how to stop following a thread that I have had interest in but not anymore, feel is going on too long, being trolled etc. Can't figure how to turn those off. Maybe there is not yet a mechanism to stop following something. I for one like that option.

Its at the top
Screenshot 2022-01-28 181530.jpg

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you @ThatM1key. My wife says I have male pattern blindness! :facepalm:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

If you mouse hover over a members avatar then options will pop up after 2 seconds or so and you can ignore peeps that are annoying. :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom