• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

THREAD DELETED

MAB

Major Contributor
it's hard to imagine that when the amp or driver fails in them I would need to ship the whole thing back to Finland, with the box it's around 90kg per unit and HELL to move around, then there's environmental cost of doing that, so I would assume opening the box is allowed. I heard that the ATC is sometimes asking to do some swaps by a customers and just shipping the spares
I agree.
For those still confused as to what you plan, this is not about luck:
1691246195217.png

1691246822925.png

It's about getting an inductor and a capacitor (with values easily calculated), and reconnecting some wires (assuming no soldering).

Would be nice to hear from Genelec that this is within warranty, it would be troubling if they said 'no' unless they have a valid technical reason.
I would also love to hear from Genelec if there are valid reasons why this would interfere with the operation. I can think of a few, like if you change the thermal response of the woofer relative to the signal, maybe their protection model would be inaccurate... But that feels like a stretch...

Passive filters can indeed help active implementations. With noise and with distortion.

MAB

Major Contributor
there's a temperature monitoring inside every Genelec SAM speaker and after a day of use W371A runs at 43°C and 8351B at 48°C, I know it's the amp temperature but the front woofer is not even warm, just at the room temperature, so it won't be an issue for sure
I was speculating the thermal model of the woofer’s voice coil. Which isn’t directly measured but predicted from the input. But I’m really speculating.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm confused. Isn't 8030c rated for 5dbA at 1m yet there are quite a few people complaining about the noise? If it's at all comparable, 15dba sounds like a total nighmare.

If 5dbA becomes zero dBa at 1.8M as calculated by @Curvature (thanks for that!), then generally speaking you'll hear a low-level sound when listening nearfield but not farfield. Given that the 8030c and 8351b both are rated for 5dBA at 1M, I would presume that most 8030c users can hear the self-hiss while most (or at least many) 8351b users can't, since the former is more often used nearfield and the latter is often used farfield. Also, 5dBA is detectable but pretty quiet, so depending on the level and frequency spectrum of one's ambient room noise, some folks might not hear 5dBa at all if they're sitting 1M away on a decent-sized desk, or if the 8030 tweeters are below ear level (as is often the case with a desktop computer-monitor setup). And if they do hear it, 5dBA simply is not bothersome to some people (though it would drive me crazy) - so they hear it but don't mind it, or because it's not bothersome they technically hear it but they don't notice it for the most part; their brain filters it out or doesn't pay much attention to it.

As for the 15dBA of those subs, as I've commented above, yes, I think that's unacceptable and I'd never get them myself. If the 1M self-noise dBA spec is such that the noise at the intended listening position is higher than 0dBA, it's a non-starter for me.

I recently got Genelec 8351b's, and I'm really loving them. But I'm not thrilled with their low 5dBA noise level, low as that sounds. But in that case it's more a matter of principle and my own OCD tendencies, because I admit that in order to hear their self-noise, I have to get up out of my listening seat, walk to within about a meter of one of them and bend down a little so my head is closer to the vertical tweeter axis. And the spectrum of the noise sounds, for lack of a more precise term, "soft" and not grating.

In fact, I'd love to hear from our more knowledgable members about exactly what causes this kind of self-noise. I would think that even if they're using Class D plate amps that don't perform as well as Hypex and similar plate amps, that still would not explain the audible tweeter noise. I would assume it's about internal gain-staging, yes?

In general, I think self-noise is the most underemphasized and overlooked problem with all audio gear, whether it's tweeter hiss from actives, tweeter hiss in passives fro the amp and/or other downstream components, hiss and hum from ground loops, mechanical transformer hum from toroidals, or coil whine from internal PSUs (I'm looking at you, MiniDSP). The levels of noise and distortion measured in most of the equipment Amir tests are orders of magnitude lower and far less likely to intrude upon our listening experience. And aside from reporting on self-hiss he might hear from actives, there's really Amir can do to test for this stuff, since it's all about multiple components connected together, individual room noice and listening distance, and individual sensitivity level to these phenomena.

Last edited:

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
this slightly helps, purely analog solution and I can still see the genelec logo lol

View attachment 303550

I see the "lol" of course, but with that said, I am wondering if it might be worthwhile to try to implement a more effective and more attractive version of that cover.

Surely there must be a way to fairly precisely measure the frequency spectrum of the hiss you're hearing, yes? If so, then it should be possible, with the help of online calculators and/or our more knowledgeable friends here, to come up with a type and thickness of fabric or other material that would absorb a lot of that hiss while being acoustically transparent to the frequencies the sub is meant to output. With that information in hand, you could get that fabric in black or charcoal gray or whatever, and maybe have someone cut it to the exact size of the front baffle, and then sew elastic material (again black or dark gray) to the edges, so you could basically "wrap" the fabric around the speaker, with the absorptive fabric going edge to edge along the front and the elastic stretching neatly and inconspicuously on the sides and being secured by velcro or ties or something in the back.

In this scenario, with no rigid frame around the fabric and the fabric covering the entire baffle, I would think you would minimize or eliminate any potential diffraction issues that could theoretically be created by adding something in front of the speakers' baffles.

It could be more trouble than it's worth, and of course one should not have to do this. But given how expensive they were, your inability to return them, and how much you say you like them otherwise, maybe worth a try?

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I see the "lol" of course, and of course one should not have to do this with audio gear, especially gear that costs that much.

With that said, I am wondering if it might be worthwhile to try to implement a more effective and more attractive version of that cover.

Surely there must be a way to fairly precisely measure the frequency spectrum of the hiss you're hearing, yes? If so, then it should be possible, with the help of online calculators and/or our more knowledgeable friends here, to come up with a type and thickness of fabric or other material that would absorb a lot of that hiss while being acoustically transparent to the frequencies the sub is meant to output. With that information in hand, you could get that fabric in black or charcoal gray or whatever, and maybe have someone cut it to the exact size of the front baffle, and then sew elastic material (again black or dark gray) to the edges, so you could basically "wrap" the fabric around the speaker, with the absorptive fabric going edge to edge along the front and the elastic stretching neatly and inconspicuously on the sides and being secured by velcro or ties or something in the back.

In this scenario, with no rigid frame around the fabric and the fabric covering the entire baffle, I would think you would minimize or eliminate any potential diffraction issues that could theoretically be created by adding something in front of the speakers' baffles.

It could be more trouble than it's worth, and of course one should not have to do this. But given how expensive they were, your inability to return them, and how much you say you like them otherwise, maybe worth a try?
Are there fabrics that has a notch filter effect? My experience has always been a low pass filter effect.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are there fabrics that has a notch filter effect? My experience has always been a low pass filter effect.

Good point - although given that the sub's output is supposed to be band-limited, I would think a low pass filter effect would be functionally equivalent to a notch effect in this application. As long as you got the correct lower frequency for the filtering/absorption to start, it wouldn't matter if the absorption stopped (notch) or continued to work (lowpass) since the sub doesn't play above a certain frequency anyway.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Thing is that the woofer is working up to 500Hz,pillows and stuff will greatly reduce the output,it's not like putting it in front of a sub that goes to 80Hz.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thing is that the woofer is working up to 500Hz,pillows and stuff will greatly reduce the output,it's not like putting it in front of a sub that goes to 80Hz.

Well, then, you just create an arrangement where the lowpass effect of whatever you're putting in front of the subs starts above 500Hz, or set the crossover point at or below Genelec's recommended 250Hz when using them partially blocked, yes?

@cyjanopan , thanks for those sample photos and extra info - definitely seems like you can find some kind of a solution then.

OP
H

holdingpants01

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
depends on the mode, in my case at 500Hz there's no output at all - less than 60dB below the output at 80Hz, and at 300Hz it's down almost 40dB compared to 80Hz

jhenderson0107

Tough crowd. Perhaps the self noise is barely-audible in a well-treated room, but it is certainly inaudible when playing any type of music at even extremely low listening levels (due to the masking effect). It cannot influence the outcome of any mix or mastering attempt, nor would it deteriorate music reproduction or appreciation in any real way.

Eschewing the W371 due to self noise is like discarding gold coins because they have ridged edges.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Without data what you said is meaningless.

Most fabric based absorbers are ineffective above 300Hz, which means their fabric is transparent above 300Hz.

I don’t have detailed information about each fabric but there had been research on this that tallies with what I said.

IMG_8083.png

Sokel

Master Contributor
Without data what you said is meaningless.

Most fabric based absorbers are ineffective above 300Hz, which means their fabric is transparent above 300Hz.

I don’t have detailed information about each fabric but there had been research on this that tallies with what I said.

View attachment 303783
I didn't say fabric,in fact my installation includes some of it.
I said pillows and last time I ckecked they are very effective going higher.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I didn't say fabric,in fact my installation includes some of it.
I said pillows and last time I ckecked they are very effective going higher.
I’m sorry. When you said “pillows and stuff” I understood by stuff you meant some sort of fabric.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Then there's the price which made me expect top tier performance in every aspect, but maybe I was just expecting too much
I don’t think you do.

Most high quality power amplifiers don’t generate audible hiss at the (passive) speaker, why does a top of the range Genelec does?

I auditioned a pair of this combo a while ago and I heard the hiss. At the time that was not the reason I rejected them but if I had lived with them it could well be.

Last edited:

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you have any feedback about it by other users?
@srrxr71 for example owns such a setup.

If they don't have such problem and it's only you that has it it's definitively a fault,I can't imagine designing a speaker this way.
I sit very close considering. About 50 inches. I don’t hear anything. In fact I’ve been working on getting my room noise down to 53dB.

It happens only late at night though. If my hvac is on in any way then it hits 63dB. Or even if my neighbor’s are on. And this is even with 2 layers of felt lined curtains and 3 out of 5 windows covered with 244 traps.

It’s very hard to get a quiet enough room for it to matter in my case.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's right, but when I'm working with fades into or from complete silence, or when listening to single instrument soloed, I can easily hear it and it's confusing as I don't know if it's actually recorded or not. At my usual listening level I could easily notice if there's noise in the recording at around -75dB on my DAW output meter, currently the cutoff is at -70dB and it's an objective downgrade. As I said everything else about it is amazing and every other aspect of my work improved immediately.
Then there's the price which made me expect top tier performance in every aspect, but maybe I was just expecting too much
Do you feel the noise is coming from the front woofer? I would need to sit close and see.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I sit very close considering. About 50 inches. I don’t hear anything. In fact I’ve been working on getting my room noise down to 53dB.

It happens only late at night though. If my hvac is on in any way then it hits 63dB. Or even if my neighbor’s are on. And this is even with 2 layers of felt lined curtains and 3 out of 5 windows covered with 244 traps.

It’s very hard to get a quiet enough room for it to matter in my case.

53-63dB is notably higher than @cyjanopan 's 48dB, so that could be part of the difference in perception.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My GLM mic shows around 48dBSPL so it's a bit more quiet here I guess, but not completely silent. I would say average for a flat in a city with windows closed and nothing generating a noise inside the room. I asked some friends if they hear it too and all of them did, my hearing is average
48dB is incredible. I cannot even imagine it and i’m in house far from any highways. The main issue here is other people’s hvac condensers.

As I’ve said before I can get to 53dB if my hvac is off and the neighbors’ are also off. I could quadruple the felt lined curtains to get lower but as soon my own hvac kicks in just the register airflow makes it 62-63dB.

I would literally have to pre cool the space. It’s crazy how hard it is for me to even get to 53dB. 48dB is just not in the cards for me. Unless I totally cover the front windows with 244 panels but I won’t do that. The option for natural light is important to me.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
yes, right from the center
In your case though I suspect having mixing desk might be reflecting the noise towards you. I wonder if you place a thin panel might help.

But the noise has to be below 250Hz and so the panel would have to be decently thick.

I would be curious to know if the noise happens when placed away from the mixing desk.

Top Bottom