• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

This audio cable business is getting out of hand...

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
After doing a lot of research and consideration, I finally got the upgraded RCA cables to connect my DX3 to my Sony integrated amp. They are made / assembled by Eno Audio here in Germany using Mogami Neglex 2534 Quad cables and Neutrik connectors. I paid EUR 61 to Amazon for the pair of 2 meter cables.

Very interesting to see the difference between the EUR 5 cables that I got for free when I bought the amp and the new cables; totally night and day. I'm very happy with the quality and value. These RCAs are the absolute upper limit of what I consider the best RCA cable available in terms of actual / real quality and price (as opposed to the snake oil brands and thousands of $$$$).
Nice looking cables but I hope you're listening to music instead looking at cables, this is more than enough: The postage cost more...
Fun Generation Cin 2

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very interesting to see the difference between the EUR 5 cables that I got for free when I bought the amp and the new cables; totally night and day.

Whenever someone describes a difference as "night and day" I know it was a sighted comparison (unless they talk about the speakers or the room).

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Very interesting to see the difference between the EUR 5 cables that I got for free when I bought the amp and the new cables; totally night and day. I'm very happy with the quality and value.
You could unscrew the RCANeutrik plugs and do some macro pictures with the soldering and the hot & shield wires. Also, if you have no more need for the older & cheap RCA cables, you could probably take of the outer jacket to see the wires inside, especially the shielding.

This way we could easily compare visually the difference between the two cables, although the cable can be seen here as well: http://www.mogamicable.com/category/bulk/microphone/quad/

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Which raises the question whether directional cables move electrons from right to left, or left to right?
Neither, since according to physics, electrons don't really exist.

Also, since the universe is apparently one giant set of vibrations of strings, with the past and future totally predetermined, why do we need break-in? We should already know what the cables will sound like!

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
speakers need a burn in time. He told me that this is untrue. Only the bass chassis will change a little bit during the first time because some parts get softer due to mechanical work. This lets the resonance frequency drop down a little bit,
Actually from some testing I did (hammering Ford 5x7s at full power for 280 hours or such) the break in appears to go on forever. But the response change, pretty small.

I firmly believe other factors like your mood, your ear/brain getting used to the sound, the weather, blah blah all account for "break-in"/"burn-in" far more than anything physical. Now perhaps we should discuss fatigue of talking about this silly issue: "burn-OUT" o_O My brother can bake you some special brownies that can help with that...

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
You could unscrew the RCANeutrik plugs and do some macro pictures with the soldering and the hot & shield wires. Also, if you have no more need for the older & cheap RCA cables, you could probably take of the outer jacket to see the wires inside, especially the shielding.

This way we could easily compare visually the difference between the two cables, although the cable can be seen here as well: http://www.mogamicable.com/category/bulk/microphone/quad/
That's a nice idea. Yeah, I'm familiar with that link too. It was part of my extensive research haha I've got no concerns about the cable being what it should be, as the brand and model are printed on the cable every few feet. My trust in the quality is also high, seeing as it's assembled here in Germany by a reputable company :)

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can anyone think of a good reason to take shielded star quad wire, and terminate RCA cables with all four conductors on the pin, with only the shield on the shield?

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can anyone think of a good reason to take shielded star quad wire, and terminate RCA cables with all four conductors on the pin, with only the shield on the shield?

I can't think of a good reason to use star quad for an unbalanced connection in the first place.

NTomokawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I can't think of a good reason to use star quad for an unbalanced connection in the first place.
Sometimes it's all you have on hand. I've done it before.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Saw this posted on some Facebook group .... its too extreme not to share ! :eek::D:p

powercable_n.jpg

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Saw this posted one some Facebook group .... its too extreme not to share ! :eek::D:p

View attachment 44696

An actual python in the chain :oops:

I can see some potential grounding issues around the amp not sharing the common ground as other equipment in the audio chain

Speedskater

Major Contributor
It's 10 pounds of wires in a 5 pound connector shell.
But if you must:
connect one wire to the center pin.
connect the other three wires and the shield to the shell at both ends.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Albeit overpriced, Rega Research used to make a very similar cable to that Eno cable above (called the “Couple”) from Klotz microphone cable and Neutrik connectors. No outrageous claims made by Rega. They were quite nice but their new Couple2 utilizes RCA plugs with significantly more “bling.” No thanks.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's 10 pounds of wires in a 5 pound connector shell.
But if you must:
connect one wire to the center pin.
connect the other three wires and the shield to the shell at both ends.

The reason I asked is because an “audiophile” cable merchant does that, not because I would.

I get having one type of cable that can be terminated for RCA or XLR. But if you’re going to use star quad for RCA at least treat it like parallel twisted pairs, right?

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Albeit overpriced, Rega Research used to make a very similar cable to that Eno cable above (called the “Couple”) from Klotz microphone cable and Neutrik connectors. No outrageous claims made by Rega. They were quite nice but their new Couple2 utilizes RCA plugs with significantly more “bling.” No thanks.
And if you want to make the same exact cable as the original Couple, all it’s made from is Klotz GY107 low capacitance cable stock and Neutrik Profi RCA plugs.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
The reason I asked is because an “audiophile” cable merchant does that, not because I would.
I get having one type of cable that can be terminated for RCA or XLR. But if you’re going to use star quad for RCA at least treat it like parallel twisted pairs, right?
No, wire it as in my post # 915.
Star Quad advantage is with balanced systems
Only in hostile interference situations does the advantage of a Star Quad XLR cable come into play (not likely in a home setup).
In RCA to RCA cables, the important thing is a low end-to-end resistance of the shell to shell (3 wires & shield).
In a RCA output to XLR input. Wire the cable as balanced (after the RCA connector).

Last edited:
Top Bottom