• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which Speaker Cables- (Welded v. Solder & BFA v. Bananas)

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A little different than the normal speaker cable questions. Currently using some Wireworld Oasis 8 speaker cable (was inexpensive by the foot) that I have hand soldered by bi-wire with BFA connectors. For whatever reason, the BFA connectors I have are so tight, I can only get them to insert about 1/4" and they are easily dislodged. I am also looking for a less colorful cable than the bright blue of the Cardas that stands out.

So I am debating between two cable. First is the Worlds Best Cable Mogami 3082 (14 gauge) with Eminence Gold Plated banana plugs (that actually appear to be BFA connectors) and are hand soldered. Second is Blue Jeans Canare 4S11 Star Quad (11 gauge) with locking banana plugs, which are ultrasonically welded. These will be as single runs (no biwire) 15ft.

So what are the collective thoughts about the BFA v. locking and solder v. ultrasonic welded? This will be for my main system as listed below.

Last edited:

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
You can get a good-reliable connection with solder, welding, or screw terminals.

I would just get some screw-connection banana plugs and whatever speaker wire you want to use. The screw connections are quick & easy.

I've used banana plugs similar to this and this for many years at work (non-audio).

OP
CDMC

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can get a good-reliable connection with solder, welding, or screw terminals.

I would just get some screw-connection banana plugs and whatever speaker wire you want to use. The screw connections are quick & easy.

I've used banana plugs similar to this and this for many years at work (non-audio).

A screw terminal is not a gas tight connection and degrades over time. A proper soldered or cold welded connection should be gas tight.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
A screw terminal is not a gas tight connection and degrades over time.
A second problem I find is that the wire strands compress over time making the connection loose. This is happening on one of my cables but the other is silicon with many fine strands and doesn't suffer the same.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well if you have spades or loops on the ends of the wire the screw type connectors work fine.
Yes, I crimp and solder ring terminals to the wires, and use them under wrenchable binding posts and copper crush washers.

gfinlays

Given the relatively low cost, I'd go with Blue Jeans Cable. The 4S11 offers vanishingly low inductance due to its Starquad geometry. And with welded connectors, you can't go wrong.

Top Bottom