• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The kit we bought, our current setups

1 day into my week off and bored already so here's a gratuitous photo.

Topping E30
Audiolab CDT6000
Philips 380 pre
Krell KSA50S

Currently waiting on a new CD transport to replace the Audiolab.

Should really get a new pre-amp at some point as the Philips is 44 years old now. It's been fixed a few times and had the gain reduced to better match modern sources. But I like how it looks. Got the matching power amp but I rarely use it.

3 years after moving to a new place, finally installed properly my K+H O300 :)

I have them for about 13 years, used them in 3 places and 5 different rooms and each time after few seconds of listening I still think “wow, these are really good”.

We changed single glazed windows for double acoustic ones, reducing exterior noise.
I bought new speakers stands and a new DAC/interface.
Still tinkering with all these new settings, need to order new power cables to make this look clean, and of course measure.

K+H O300 and O800 - using the sub crossover
RME ADI-2 DAC FS
K&M 26791 stands and Neumann accessories for KH310 - LH25 and 48 - also compatible with their predecessor O300

after a few of you expressed a intrest in just what each of us wasted our money on I though I would make a thread.

Post your current setups, stuff you used to have. Anything really but you must of owned it...( or made it)
after a few of you expressed a intrest in just what each of us wasted our money on I though I would make a thread.

Post your current setups, stuff you used to have. Anything really but you must of owned it...

Post your current setups, stuff you used to have. Anything really but you must of owned it...( or made it)
Kii 3s (the little grey things on stands not the giant black things) with bass traps and floor treatment (please move these when not listening). Playback is a PC or phone via bluetooth. EQed in the Kii 3 control with the assistance of measurements from Sonarworks. Back wall is a bookshelf and another bass trap.

Sound is very good if you like to hear recordings instead of speakers and rooms.

My living room hybrid stereo & HT system upgraded in a new living place:

01_FrontSP_4417.jpg

02_HiFi_Rack_Front_4439.jpg 03_HiFI_Rack_Back_3136.jpg 04_SurroundsSP_4435.jpg 05_CeilingSP_4438.jpg

Current specs:
  • [Sources] Music: Spotify 320kbps → Audioserver → S/PDIF, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Evo → Phono In, Movies & TV: Apple TV 4K → HDMI 2.1 → LG C9 65" OLED
  • [A/V Processing] Denon AVC-X3700H (used in pre-amp mode only - as a pre/pro for 11 channels in total, layout 7.2.4 for HT, 2.2 for music)
  • [Amplifiers] NAD C298 (2x 1ET400A), Audiophonics MPA-M400ET (1x 1ET400A), Audiophonics MPA-S250NC (1x NC252MP), Buckeye 6-channel (3x NC252MP)
  • [Speakers] 2x KEF R3 (fronts), KEF R2c (center), 4x KEF T301 (surrounds & sr-backs), 4x KEF Ci160QR (ceiling), 2x SVS SB-2000 Pro (subwoofers)
  • [Cables] RCA-XLR: Mogami 2534/Neutrik, RCA-RCA: Mogami 2964/Amphenol, Speaker cables: Sommer SC-Prisma, Bitner Bitsound
Approximate distribution of expenses: 55% Speakers, 42% Electronics, 3% Cables, 0% Audiophile Bullshit

Last edited:
My living room hybrid stereo & HT system upgraded in a new living place:

View attachment 317703

View attachment 317705 View attachment 317706 View attachment 317707 View attachment 317709

Current specs:
  • [Sources] Music: Spotify 320kbps → Audioserver → S/PDIF, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Evo → Phono In, Movies & TV: Apple TV 4K → HDMI 2.1 → LG C9 65" OLED
  • [A/V Processing] Denon AVC-X3700H (used in pre-amp mode as a pre/pro for 11 channels in total, layout 7.2.4 for HT, 2.2 for music)
  • [Amplifiers] NAD C298 (2x 1ET400A), Audiophonics MPA-M400ET (1x 1ET400A), Audiophonics MPA-S250NC (1x NC252MP), Buckeye 6-channel (3x NC252MP)
  • [Speakers] 2x KEF R3 (fronts), KEF R2c (center), 4x KEF T301 (surrounds & sr-backs), 4x KEF Ci160QR (ceiling), 2x SVS SB-2000 Pro (subwoofers)
  • [Cables] RCA-XLR: Mogami 2534/Neutrik, RCA-RCA: Mogami 2964/Amphenol, Speaker cables: Sommer SC-Prisma, Bitner Bitsound
Approximate distribution of expenses: 55% Speakers, 42% Electronics, 3% Cables, 0% Audiophile Bullshit
How good are those Kef on walls? Amir measured one of this series a while back and it measured terribly. I wish kef had more on wall offerings or at least in walls with a build in back box that can be retrofitted into an on wall

How good are those Kef on walls? Amir measured one of this series a while back and it measured terribly. I wish kef had more on wall offerings or at least in walls with a build in back box that can be retrofitted into an on wall
For surround effects-only they are good enough for me. There isn't much choice of very low profile wall-mounted speakers anyway. And low profile was a wife acceptance factor / requirement :)

My living room hybrid stereo & HT system upgraded in a new living place
Cool stuff. Had the KEF R3 and found them very capable.

The dog looks kind of judgemental, likely because your rack isn't on wheels but just cardboard.
1697386755394.png

He has seen things.

Got these NS-333 for 100€ the pair used, cheapest i have seen new was 300€ the pair.
PXL_20231015_191820825.jpg

13cm woofer, so they are very small.
PXL_20231015_191811902.jpg

I think they look exceptionally good. Cheaply made if you look closer, but well executed. I also bought a swivel plate, in theory i could do a spinorama now :cool:

They will be paired with the Yamaha Classic line, but i'm still working on some components.
a(3).jpg

I also got this two-head deck for 75€, needs a good cleaning and restauration:
PXL_20231015_195922012.jpg

PXL_20231015_200305699.jpg

I may have paid a bit much, but:
1685006654919091.gif

The dog looks kind of judgemental, likely because your rack isn't on wheels but just cardboard.
View attachment 319063
He has seen things.

Hahahaha!
Yeah... but he didn't know that the cardboard was temporary until custom made cabinet comes in.
And it just did! All gear is now hidden

04_HiFi_Cabinet_4630.jpg 05_HiFi_Cabinet_4625.jpg 06_HiFi_Rack_4661.jpg

I can't compete with much of this, but I'll play anyway. No pics, but here is my media room setup:

Media Room Pathways 2x.png

And my home office:

Office Pathways 2x.png

Living room setup is:
20231023_151800.jpg

Oppo BDP-105 into
Parasound Halo P3 into
Parasound Halo A21 out to
Polk Audio LSiM 703 speakers

Interconnects are all Monoprice XLR cables
Speaker wire is copper 12AWG with banana plugs that I got off eBay

Also have a Topping E30 DAC hooked to the preamp via rca for streaming Qobuz off my Android phone

Bedroom aka headphone setup is:

Schiit Modi 3+ & Magni 3+ stack powering my Sennheiser HD 650 'phones, also for streaming Qobuz

All in all very happy with the sound of my system(s). For now.

Last edited:
That looks very nice indeed. :)

I would improvise some kind of stand to get them a bit further apart.
That's my next audio purchase. Looking into Monoprice stands. They seem decent, and affordable. Only thing is the speakers are 30 lbs a piece, and fairly bulky.

Specifics
  • KEF R3 Meta Speakers
  • U-Turn Audio Orbit Theory Turntable + Ortofon 2M Bronze
  • Buckeye Amps Purifi 1ET400A Amp
  • SVS SB-1000 Pro Sub
  • Schiit Freya S Preamp
  • Bluesound Node 2i Streamer
  • Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport
  • Schiit Modius E DAC
  • Schiit Mani 2 Phono Preamp

CityViewV20231027.jpg

No actual pics - I share this space with my wife and it doesn't make for a svelte, sophisticated picture. ;)

Last edited:
That's my next audio purchase. Looking into Monoprice stands. They seem decent, and affordable. Only thing is the speakers are 30 lbs a piece, and fairly bulky.
Not sure if they are available in your neck of the woods, but i can recommend Norstone Stylum stands, the have different sizes to get the tweeter to earlevel and the white ones looks really nice. Very affordable, but nothing cheap about them. I think i paid 90€ or so. These speakers weigh 17kg, which is a bit more than 30 lbs i think.
PXL_20220423_105558824.jpg

PXL_20220418_185042541.jpg

i got the large (32" i believe) 4-column ones from monoprice and there's absolutely no issue with Kef R3's which weigh about the same as your speakers

i got the large (32" i believe) 4-column ones from monoprice and there's absolutely no issue with Kef R3's which weigh about the same as your speakers
Thanks. I'll check them out. May be a while, unless Santa brings me lots of cash for xmas to pay off my credit cards. Would be nice to widen the soundstage, as they say.

Last edited:
Do you have the rack on rails or a turntable? One lesson I learned in designing our media cabinet is access from the front only is terrible if you ever change anything.
Indeed. I stalked a used hifi site in Germany for a few years to get two Yamaha Ambiente racks (two for 70€, because it's more fun if you get it cheap). I put them both on wheels and it's so easy to just turn an entire 100kg stack to fondle the cables on the back. Finding small rollers that can take over 40kg was a challenge.
1698608512765.png

PXL_20220414_102459214.jpg
PXL_20220413_204505158.jpg

Back
Top Bottom