• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The kit we bought, our current setups

wgb113

Uhh…see that thing wrapped around the base of the lamp? That’s part of the speaker cable bud! :p

They’re DIY FWIW but I’ve been eyeing up a shorter pair of Kimber 12TC.

Here’s a better view:

image.jpg

Eckerslad

Living room 15x12x10 feet, not very symmetrical with a bay window to one side and wood/glass double doors to the other. Solid brick walls and suspended wooden floor. Windows are laminated double glazing to keep traffic noise out. Fully carpeted and velvet sofas - room a little on the dead side.

ATC SCM50 ASL active speakers, ATC CDA2 mk2 combined cd player/dac/preamplifier.
Cables are Mogami 2549 XLR.
GIK “Monster” absorbers with diffuser plates hidden behind the fabric. (I won’t call them bass traps.)

Past projects (potential audiophile “foo”?) are home made under floor bass traps, balanced power transformer in adjacent hallway and Isoacoustics “Stage 1” feet under speakers (about 1/4 the price of the hifi oriented products)

On order is a Trinnov Nova “room optimiser”.

Attachments

• IMG_9688.jpeg
    IMG_9688.jpeg
    432.8 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_9689.jpeg
    IMG_9689.jpeg
    480.3 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_9690.jpeg
    IMG_9690.jpeg
    383.6 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_9693.png
    IMG_9693.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 193
  • IMG_9692.jpeg
    IMG_9692.jpeg
    149 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_9691.jpeg
    IMG_9691.jpeg
    216.2 KB · Views: 212

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Living room 15x12x10 feet, not very symmetrical with a bay window to one side and wood/glass double doors to the other. Solid brick walls and suspended wooden floor. Windows are laminated double glazing to keep traffic noise out. Fully carpeted and velvet sofas - room a little on the dead side.

ATC SCM50 ASL active speakers, ATC CDA2 mk2 combined cd player/dac/preamplifier.
GIK “Monster” absorbers with diffuser plates hidden behind the fabric. (I won’t call them bass traps.)

Past projects (potential audiophile “foo”?) are home made under floor bass traps, balanced power transformer in adjacent hallway and Isoacoustics “Stage 1” feet under speakers (about 1/4 the price of the hifi oriented products)

Love the room decor.

wgb113

Would love to hear that setup!

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Checking out these Focal Chora 806 right now.
Will make proper picture sooner or later and post them in their own thread.
PXL_20230609_180303465.jpg

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

conman1040

Hi, brand new member here from California.

I'm pretty proud of my current setup. Let me know what you all think!

ELAC Debut Reference Speakers
Sony Core S9 Sub
NAD C316BEE Integrated Amp
SMSL SU-9 DAC
SMSL SH-9 HP Amp
Sennheiser HD600 HP
Crappy Bluray player for CD Transport
Laptop running Roon w/ monitor for Display (Chromecast)
20230711_173945.jpg

andrewjohn007

Forum Donor
I dig it! Nice all around system - music, movies and gaming. Are you using your tv to extract optical from your xBox? And to what address may I send your IRS audit notice? Lol

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Welcome to ASR friend.

Looks like you have a very capable desktop HiFi there.
That "crappy" BluRay will play your music and movies as well as any other. ;)
Enjoy!

Zensō

Major Contributor

I'm pretty proud of my current setup. Let me know what you all think!

ELAC Debut Reference Speakers
Sony Core S9 Sub
NAD C316BEE Integrated Amp
SMSL SU-9 DAC
SMSL SH-9 HP Amp
Sennheiser HD600 HP
Crappy Bluray player for CD Transport
Laptop running Roon w/ monitor for Display (Chromecast)View attachment 299315
Looking good!

conman1040

I dig it! Nice all around system - music, movies and gaming. Are you using your tv to extract optical from your xBox? And to what address may I send your IRS audit notice? Lol
Lol. Ya the TV is connected to the dac via optical. The new Xboxs dont have an optical port unfortunately. I dont know if the TV is affecting the sound but its better than getting input lag from an HDMI audio extractor. I mostly play games while listening to music from Roon anyway. Plus the DAC adds a little bit of audio lag, even with a good DPLL setting. When i watch shows and movies, I use a Fire Cube which has an audio sync setting to make up for the lag. I would use the google TV built into the TV but for some reason there is no audio lag adjustment setting in it.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My portable CD player used at flea markets broke after 25 years or so. Had to get a replacement. This was the cheapest with shock-proofing at 40€, also has FM and DAB+.
The European lower volume setting can be disabled, but maybe it's better to leave it if children are involved.
No line- or digital-out.
Feels cheap, uses two AA, does sound good enough.
Headphone is a Sennheiser PX100 II.
PXL_20230719_140217768.jpg

PXL_20230719_103207275.jpg

TechniSat is a German company that relabels cheap electronics, i'm sure one could find it with other labels elsewhere.

quattro98

Forum Donor
This is a quick picture and I still have lots of work to do. We moved last year and our living room from the previous owner has things squeezed in a corner on one wall next to windows. I need to redo the wiring and install multichannel (7.2.4) with the system oriented on another wall. There are some limitations I am going to have with surround placement, but I think it will be enjoyable.

For now, I just upgraded my LCR from Aerial Acoustics 7B & CC3B to KEF Reference Meta 3 & 2. The information from Amir's ASR forum, Erin's Audio Corner, & direct from KEF via their participation on this forum, technical papers, & YouTube interviews were much appreciated. I wish more no nonsense information was available and accepted 30+ years ago (somewhere I still have a bunch of Audioquest cables and green painted CDs).

We have a pair of in ceiling surrounds (unknown speaker) from the prior owner that I've connected for now. Those give us a 5.2 temp system (Rythmik L22 subs). All I've done is an Audyssey cal below 350 Hz with an approximated Harman curve and sub level tweaks. When I redo everything I will learn more about REW to do a more thorough setup (I need to find my USB mic).

I'm using my existing Denon AVR-X8500HA for now. I want to see what happens with Dirac ART over time and will likely change receivers when that is available (I won't be buying a new one in hopes of a future upgrade path). Our main source is the Apple TV for music streaming Apple Music & various video services. I still need to hookup our disc player after the move.

IMG_1648.jpeg

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Lockable banana plugs, 8 pieces, 25€. The manufacturer says they are Rhodium plated, which costs more than gold.
I suspect this is just nickel.
PXL_20230719_102646094.jpg

Top Bottom