• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The kit we bought, our current setups

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Thanks, I really like them, great pairing with my low wattage tube amps, big full sound.

I am making some metal grills for them to protect from cats, removed the original grill cloth from the magnetic substrates, will apply black grill cloth and then attach these grills on the front, anodized in black satin, had them designed by a architectural grill company, should look pretty nice I think.

View attachment 183952
Glad to hear they are working well for you. I almost bought a pair of the original Forte's back in the 1980's and instead bought some Magnapan MG1C's.

You could always start up a cottage business providing grills for cat owners.:cool:

TurtlePaul

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A05B97EA-5122-4E64-8EA4-940E56516E4D.jpeg
Philharmonic Audio / Dennis Murphy Affordable Accuracy Kit. The latest version based on the BR-1 with the Dayton/Parts Express tweeter. So far sounds good, may get a UMIK and write a more detailed post.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I replaced my Von Schweikert VR-4 Gen III HSE speakers with Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary speakers.
View attachment 182991
I’ve begun experimenting with some 2’x4’ rock wool panels I made 15 years ago.

Martin

Nice!

(R.I.P. Albert)

I used to own VR Gen II speakers long ago. They were my first box speaker after owning Quad ESL 63s. I'd looked long for box speakers that sounded as "boxless" yet rich in the midrange as the Quads until I found the VR speakers which fit the bill. They didn't have quite the finess of the Quads, but wow did they do a massive soundstage and imaging, not to mention being close to full range. I never heard any VR models after those and have wondered how the various iterations sound.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice!

(R.I.P. Albert)

I used to own VR Gen II speakers long ago. They were my first box speaker after owning Quad ESL 63s. I'd looked long for box speakers that sounded as "boxless" yet rich in the midrange as the Quads until I found the VR speakers which fit the bill. They didn't have quite the finess of the Quads, but wow did they do a massive soundstage and imaging, not to mention being close to full range. I never heard any VR models after those and have wondered how the various iterations sound.

Albert invited me to show my racks with him at the 2009 & 2010 RMAF shows. He was a great guy.

I had only heard the UniField 3, VR-33, VR-35 Export Deluxe and VR-7 when I bought my first Von Schweikert speakers, the VR-4 Gen III HSE, based solely on written reviews. I loved those speakers. The VR-5 Anniversaries are a step up across the board. My purely subjective thoughts. Albert made some fantastic sounding full range speakers that throw big dynamic soundstages with excellent imaging. I’m listening to some great music right now…
066B2B47-7EC0-4D6F-A4FC-FA08E027A2FF.jpeg

I’ve since heard the Ultra 11 and Ultra 55 at the Florida Audio Expo. They are incredible but now way out of my price range.

Martin

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well I'm flat from 20 to 80hz. As I mentioned since there is so much cone area they have to move very little and draw very little power to get the volume I want. I imagine that leads to low distortion. Maybe my logic is flawed.
Sounds plausible to me, but i guess only a measurement would be able to tell how much distortion your really have.

No doubt one of the most extreme setups around. :cool:
Have you changed the speaker terminals on the sony? They look comically large, compared to even the A-S3000 ones, and those are already huge.

Elegance.
Well, for me the garden chair just doesn't cut it. I recommend to compromise and get maybe an Ikea Poäng or something like it. ;)

Any info on that comfy looking office chair? I'm in the market for a new butt holder to replace my aging Ikea Markus ... :cool:

Very sweet VU meters on that Luxman. :oops:

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No doubt one of the most extreme setups around. :cool:
Have you changed the speaker terminals on the sony? They look comically large, compared to even the A-S3000 ones, and those are already huge.

Thank you for your continuing interests on my multichannel multi-driver multi-amplifier stereo project. I have not changed the huge SP terminals of Sony TA-A1ES, since I really like and love the huge terminals of TA-A1ES and YAMAHA A-S3000.

I need to use so many rather long SP cables in my setup, as you may understand, and AWG10 and AWG12 multicore Vinyl Cabtyre (VCT) cables are my preference as shared in my posts #028 and #137, together with tin-plated pure copper Y-lugs. These are reasonably priced, and the rather soft metal tin on the pure copper Y-lug effectively increases the contact surface area when tightly connect and squeeze with the large SP terminals only by my hand power!

For connection to other amplifier SP terminal, ACCUPHASE E-460 and YAMAHA A-S301, I use pliers after hand squeeze for tighter connections.

Let me share two photos again here from my posts #028, #137;
WS000408.JPG

059A8226_r1rs.JPG

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Any info on that comfy looking office chair? I'm in the market for a new butt holder to replace my aging Ikea Markus ... :cool:
I've had very bad luck with what they call "PU Leather" and goes under many other names like leatherette.
They are just fakes and imitations and last about a year under daily usage.
I've had the La-Z-Boy and Samsonite high-back office chairs (like from Staples, etc.) but they just don't last (arms and seats) and you have to pitch them out after just a few years.
Mine is said to be suede and has lasted for over 18 months; and it is probably good for at least that much more. The seat is not the most cushiest but works >> HERE for $200
BTW: Ford is said to be using some seat material that is NOT leather [for the vegans or peta members?] but it supposed to be more durable than leather[?].

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Never really understood the whole 'handmade in *insert country*' -thing.

I've seen plenty of workplaces in Denmark where products are "handmade", but the "hands" are people who just wants to show up 8 hours a day and get payed. They don't give a #¤%# about the quality of their work, and when QC ever so often discovers something that's been done consistently subpar, the management spend a lot of time "stopping the bleeding".

Robots has a much greater potential for consistent precise production.

When I see 'handmade', I read it as: "We're a small company, and we can't afford to invest in a serious production line".

Can't imagine that Audiovector is that cheap though. I must be an attempt at smearing things with a scent of romance.

[/rant] ;)

Last edited:

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I've seen plenty of workplaces in Denmark where products are "handmade", but the "hands" are people who just wants to show up 8 hours a day and get payed. They don't give a #¤%# about the quality of their work, and when QC ever so often discovers something that's been done consistently subpar, the management spend a lot of time "stopping the bleeding".

When I see 'handmade', I read it as: "We're a small company, and we can't afford to invest in a serious production line".

Can't imagine that Audiovector is that cheap though. I must be an attempt at smearing things with a scent romance.

[/rant] ;)
Audiovector prices run from reasonable to very expensive.

I have a pair of their 'X3 Super' floorstanders, no longer a current model but Euro 1800 when new. They measure well and sound good, and the finish on them is flawless.

I take your point about the 'Hand made' thing but it's hardly a big deal unless it results in the product being crap.

MASKINEN

Can't imagine that Audiovector is that cheap though. I must be an attempt at smearing things with a scent romance.

[/rant] ;)

Well I agree to some extent but I appreciate when products are built in the country where the company exists. Not from a technically or scientifically perspective but it’s often a high quality product. Also it feels good paying for something that’s built in a country where labor etc are expensive. Not to speak about what employees get paid.

I see handmade as often a high quality products that supports local craftsmanship.

Audiovector is a smaller company, the cabinets are made in Denmark and the speaker elements are made by Scanspeak of Audiovectors design.

These floorstanding speakers are about $3100 to give you an idea.

Last edited:

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I know, but I would prefer "Outstanding quality with attention to every detail" instead of "handmade". I mean, just take responsibility and stop insinuating things.

It's not a big deal though. Just one of many tropes in the industry. Same as "Music the way it's meant to be heard".

Robin L

Master Contributor
Top Bottom