• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The kit we bought, our current setups

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No.
I never did change often but I have had my main system speakers over 20 years. Yet to hear anything better :)
The Tune Audio Anima and Job INTegrated are the most recent at around 5 years or so.

Never heard about Tune Audio before.
Greek horns ?

Sashoir

Forum Donor
I'd like to be able to claim that the drying rack is some sort of super creative DIY acoustic treatment, but actually we just live in a very small flat ("bijou" in real estatese).

Source is generally flac from NAS, some CDs (2nd hand Audiolab 6000cdt should probably amortise itself in 6 months, given how much cheaper compact discs are than flacs in general: and tagging (from rips or bought flacs) is so tedious, even with metatogger), the odd LP (Rega planar 1 via a Pro-ject e-phono optical box), and Spotify when the bandwidth can be coaxed out of our internet connexion.

Everything is intermediated through a MiniDSP SHD studio/dirac. 440 Hz-ish and above goes from the SHD studio via a Soncoz LA-QXD1 to a old pair of Icon Audio MB90s on tweeter/squawker duty for the Kef R3s. 16-400 Hz-ish are directed to a MiniDSP nano digi, sending 16-32 Hz-ish via a Topping D30 to a pair of BK Elec Gemini II sub-bass boxes, and the rest going via a second Soncoz LA-QXD1 to a pair of Baldwin L10s to drive the R3 woofers.

I can't imagine buying anything else unless something exploded (or we won the lottery and bought a house).

The speakers are a bit low, but the whole thing still sounds superb to me, and I can always slouch :)

I also have the luxury of having my old amplifier (Quad VA-one) and speakers (Icon Audio MFV 6) in our bedroom, so I have music more or less wherever I go. It's controlled through a raspberry Pi running volumio, so I can use Linn Kazoo or Bubble to control it just like the living room/home office/laundry.

COMPRESSED_IMG_1608370305874.jpg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I'd like to be able to claim that the drying rack is some sort of super creative DIY acoustic treatment, but actually we just live in a very small flat ("bijou" in real estatese).
Thanks for posting your rig, you'll need to get busy decorating your Christmas tree soon. LOL
Happy Holidays!
Sal

laudio

My current small setup. Streamer is pi core player or volumio on laptop. Currently playing with drc... Brutefir on lms....

IMG_20201226_095523354.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20201226_100144936.jpg
    IMG_20201226_100144936.jpg
    804.2 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_20201226_100054999.jpg
    IMG_20201226_100054999.jpg
    623 KB · Views: 155

ezra_s

Forum Donor

Katji

Major Contributor
... I think I'm usually more interested in the rooms and then the books, than the hi-fi. :) ...Not sure why. I'm not into Decor per se, just cozy and comfortable rooms.

NepinMn

My current setup is:

USB out from laptop running tidal > Breeze audio usb to aes-ebu box > Genelec 8330A speakers. I'm blown away by the Soundstage, clarity and overall quality of the system.

GLM is amazing and I will be adding the 7350A sub soon.

EmilMadsen90

Speakers: B&W 801 Matrix S3
Amplifier: Thule Audio ia350b
DAC: Topping E30
Streamer: Raspberry Pi 4B running Raspberry Pi OS Lite and Raspotify (LibreSpot based Spotify Connect client) connected to DAC through USB

Love the speakers but need to dampen the room. Thinking of making DIY acoustic panels for the first reflections in the ceiling. Possibly corner bass traps as well and a carpet. I'm also interested in implementing FIR filter based room correction, possibly on the Raspberry Pi 4B using for instance BruteFIR or CamillaDSP, but not sure if my Linux/software skills allow.

20201230_124438.jpg

EmilMadsen90

I also like the cabinet, but not sure the speakers like it .
I would go for a carpet aso, before applying any other trap ....
I guess you're right about the cabinet changing the baffle diffraction of the speaker more or less. But it does a perfect job hiding my router, amplifier, DAC, PS3, PS4 Pro, Nintendo 64, Synology NAS, switch, Philips Hue bridge, and two Raspberry Pi's. So it would be quite messy without it :D
A carpet would probably help a lot. And yes, traps are definitely the last go-to. Or actually not a go-to according to my girlfriend.

steve59

Major Contributor
Says the pics on my pc are too large?

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess you're right about the cabinet changing the baffle diffraction of the speaker more or less. But it does a perfect job hiding my router, amplifier, DAC, PS3, PS4 Pro, Nintendo 64, Synology NAS, switch, Philips Hue bridge, and two Raspberry Pi's. So it would be quite messy without it :D
A carpet would probably help a lot. And yes, traps are definitely the last go-to. Or actually not a go-to according to my girlfriend.

Don't no why, your girl friend has a good taste ....
Maybe my profile's name has something to do with it.

mo6020

Very modest compared to most people's setups, I guess, but this is the headphone rig in my office which is where I spend most of my time these days...

Source is either local FLAC from my NAS or streamed from Qobuz on their "Studio Premier" package. The Scarlett Solo is for laying down guitar parts and making my audio not sound horrible on the relentless Zoom meetings that have been part of 2020...

IMG_58291.jpg

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Pictures can't keep up with changes, but the first shows the current speaker setup (most of the electronics replaced since the picture was made, though I have plans for that SAE stuff), and the second the mostly current electronics (with the amps below the bottom of the pic).

Speakers: "stacked" Advent NLAs, rebuilt crossovers, rebuilt woofers, carefully checked and (for a couple of them) replaced tweeters.
Amps: B&K Reference 125.2 (two of them, one for each speaker pair).
Preamp: Adcom GFP-565
Turntable: Thorens TD166II carefully restored and set up, with Music Hall speed controller (which is basically a 16-volt oscillator for driving a 16VAC synchronous motor)
Cartridge: Audio Technica AT440mla
CD Player: Tascam CD401. I have a couple of these, but in a fit of boredom and curiosity have purchased an Arcam DiVA CD93 with its dCS Ring-DAC-on-a-chip. When it arrives, I'll bring it to a state of good repair and put it in the system for a while. And, because the price was right, I also have a Cambridge CXC transport on the way, which I will use to feed a Topping E30 dedicated to it. The winner will remain in the system, though the Arcam is a bit closer fit to the 90's theme of the system. I have hundreds of CDs, and like to be able to play them.
Tape Loop 1: Nakamichi BX-300 in good nick. I have LOTS of old cassettes.
Tape Loop 2: Benchmark ADC1 USB on the Record bus, to a laptop computer. Musical Fidelity V90 DAC on the loop's Playback. Both bought used. The Benchmark is primarily for making needledrops and for transcribing tapes, and I like it primarily because it has an abundance of controls to manage gain staging.
Processor Loop: Yamaha YDP2006, an early 20-bit digital parametric equalizer. These were expensive new and they work wonderfully. They hiss at about -80 dBFS, but I use it only for playback where that is well below the noise floor of the acoustic environment, particularly if the AC is running. I use it to damp a room node at about 125 Hz, to extend the 30-35 Hz range slightly (the Advents don't need much help there), and add a bit of in the 12-15 KHz range (not that I can hear it). I use REW and a calibrated microphone. The picture is made from the listening position, so I also used the Yamaha to very slightly delay the left channel to phase-match it with the right speaker which is about 3 feet farther away from my head. No, I can't hear any difference, but it pleased me to be able to do it.
Tuner: Carver TX-11a. That was a summer project this year--putting a large outdoor antenna for TV and FM on a 30-foot tower. But we are still shadowed by a ridge from the Washington-area radio stations, so the noise-management stuff on the Carver gets used. The SAE in the picture was there because I was doing a shootout for the FMtuner.info site. The Carver won.

IMG_5077-dsqz.JPG

IMG_6769-dsqz.JPG

Rick "saving the other systems for another day" Denney

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Pictures can't keep up with changes, but the first shows the current speaker setup (most of the electronics replaced since the picture was made, though I have plans for that SAE stuff), and the second the mostly current electronics (with the amps below the bottom of the pic).

Speakers: "stacked" Advent NLAs, rebuilt crossovers, rebuilt woofers, carefully checked and (for a couple of them) replaced tweeters.
Amps: B&K Reference 125.2 (two of them, one for each speaker pair).
Preamp: Adcom GFP-565
Turntable: Thorens TD166II carefully restored and set up, with Music Hall speed controller (which is basically a 16-volt oscillator for driving a 16VAC synchronous motor)
Cartridge: Audio Technica AT440mla
CD Player: Tascam CD401. I have a couple of these, but in a fit of boredom and curiosity have purchased an Arcam DiVA CD93 with its dCS Ring-DAC-on-a-chip. When it arrives, I'll bring it to a state of good repair and put it in the system for a while. And, because the price was right, I also have a Cambridge CXC transport on the way, which I will use to feed a Topping E30 dedicated to it. The winner will remain in the system, though the Arcam is a bit closer fit to the 90's theme of the system. I have hundreds of CDs, and like to be able to play them.
Tape Loop 1: Nakamichi BX-300 in good nick. I have LOTS of old cassettes.
Tape Loop 2: Benchmark ADC1 USB on the Record bus, to a laptop computer. Musical Fidelity V90 DAC on the loop's Playback. Both bought used. The Benchmark is primarily for making needledrops and for transcribing tapes, and I like it primarily because it has an abundance of controls to manage gain staging.
Processor Loop: Yamaha YDP2006, an early 20-bit digital parametric equalizer. These were expensive new and they work wonderfully. They hiss at about -80 dBFS, but I use it only for playback where that is well below the noise floor of the acoustic environment, particularly if the AC is running. I use it to damp a room node at about 125 Hz, to extend the 30-35 Hz range slightly (the Advents don't need much help there), and add a bit of in the 12-15 KHz range (not that I can hear it). I use REW and a calibrated microphone. The picture is made from the listening position, so I also used the Yamaha to very slightly delay the left channel to phase-match it with the right speaker which is about 3 feet farther away from my head. No, I can't hear any difference, but it pleased me to be able to do it.
Tuner: Carver TX-11a. That was a summer project this year--putting a large outdoor antenna for TV and FM on a 30-foot tower. But we are still shadowed by a ridge from the Washington-area radio stations, so the noise-management stuff on the Carver gets used. The SAE in the picture was there because I was doing a shootout for the FMtuner.info site. The Carver won.

IMG_5077-dsqz.JPG

IMG_6769-dsqz.JPG

Rick "saving the other systems for another day" Denney

This looks like a lovely cozy space. Euphonium(?) also does it for me. My listening room always has a guitar and a viola in it.

Top Bottom