• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The kit we bought, our current setups

D

Deleted member 65

Intended to buy these a few years back. Then ADAM decided to discontinue all of their consumer line of speakers & just focus on pro gear.
Stumbled upon a new pair (last pair available anywhere?) last week so struck a deal. They’ll go into my desktop/workshop setup.
Waiting for weather to get really worse so I can start my build of the Purifi/Neurochrome amp. Mostly mountainbiking nowadays.

1601386431287.jpeg

Ken1951

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Master bedroom system:
fullsizeoutput_50a.jpeg

Focal Chorus 706S, CC700, SW700, Paradigm mini-monitors in corners as rears, Yamaha RX-483, Apple TV 4K. DISH Joey. Surround sound is great from bed

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

chips666

My setup,
Hqplayer => RME ADI-2 DAC FS => TPA3255EVM => Klipsch RP-80000F

Attachments

• 20200911_205227.jpg
    20200911_205227.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 203

a2lowvw

LG CX77
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon
Marantz SR6014
Marantz MM7055
Kef R5
Kef R2C
Kef KF92
Kef Ci200QL
Kef CI200QR
Blue Jeans cables

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
For casual listening this is my den setup.

den setup.jpg

Element P streaming Spotify/Qobuz via AirPlay/MA app to ELAC DBR ref whatevers. LP 9 feet from speakers. I sold an Anthem STR integrated and replaced with the Element P. I gave up sub outputs, ARC and some wattage in exchange for the built in streamer and form factor. Likely a dumb move but the STR integrated is a beast and did not fit in the cabinet and was a bit of an eyesore sitting on top. Because this is a casual setting I should leave it alone, sounds good but ELAC bass is a bit boomy without room correction. I will likely replace the ELACs with 226 bes to improve the bass and call it done. I could add a sub but doing that with an Element P is above my pay grade. So is room EQ wizard. I wonder if there are support groups for REW dropouts :facepalm:

This is the surround room and in fact my preferred listening spot. Likely due to the 228bes and Fathom 113v2s combined with ARC and an audiophile couch lol. the room is about 16 by 16 and the weird ceiling must be a big additional acoustic factor. Sounds good without ARC but much smoother and tighter with ARC. LP 10 feet from mains.

surround room.jpg

Inside the cabinet is an AVM60/MCA525 for the surrounds and an STR amp for the mains. Streaming via PlayFi built in to the AVM60. PlayFi used to really suck but now is satisfactory and gives me easy access to Qobuz and Spotify. I had tried improving things with an Element i and Roon but using Spotify with Roon is apparently not possible so it became a PITA and I went back to PlayFi. I tried making 2 channel listening better by adding an STR preamp in HT mode, using various streamers. I think there was better "clarity" but to be honest I doubt I could detect a difference in a blind comparison. Says a lot for the musicality of the AVM60 that a 4k preamp did not making a discernible improvement (at least to my ears). So I'm pretty much done with this room, I have no need for anything better than the 228bes and Fathoms. I tried every common sub brand and after tuning in these Fathoms IMO they are in another league altogether. They would be the last thing I'd sell if it came to that.

This is the bedroom setup. I splurged a bit to encourage my use of the exercise bike in the room, not sure it's going to work :oops:

bedroom setup.jpg

There is an Element X streaming Spotify/Qobuz to an STR preamp, out to a pair of AHB2s/126bes. Subs are 12 inch Fathoms. LP 14 feet from mains. The balanced analog outputs from the Element X are going into the analog inputs of the STR. I have the option of digital manipulation in the STR or just running the signal through untouched to the amps. It's been a lot of fun listening to all the various combinations, with an without subs, with and without ARC. After a lot of hours (a few of them on the bike) I've settled on using the digital features of the STR (ARC/bass management) with the subs controlled separately but in mono. Single sub/mono is too pronounced and stereo mode is too subdued so in this setup two subs/mono is the Goldilocks setting. I have a feeling that using the Element X only as a streamer is like having ACB oversee traffic court but oh well.

I'd love to hear any and all thoughts for changes/improvements in the setups. @ThomasSavage no, i'm not going to move the mirror to the ceiling o_O

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
@a2lowvw without pictures it never happened. ;)
Appears to be a nice HiFi none the less,
Thanks for the post.

My setup,
Are the small Klipsch stand mounts active or waiting for a surround assignment in the rear or elsewhere?
Should have great potential as a multich rig.

I'd love to hear any and all thoughts for changes/improvements in the setups. @ThomasSavage no, i'm not going to move the mirror to the ceiling
Sounds like fun to me? LOL
Dang bro, you have an abundace of audio riches there in the three systems, I'm seriously jealous! At this point the only can only recommend taking the time to do a lot of listening and enjoyment.

a2lowvw

@a2lowvw without pictures it never happened. ;)
Appears to be a nice HiFi none the less,
Thanks for the post.

Soon my friend, soon. The room is a little sparse at the moment and the audio gear is haphazardly located on a couple stacked Ikea tables. Sectional due in a couple weeks and cabinet is due late November or early December.

chips666

chips666 said:
My setup,
Are the small Klipsch stand mounts active or waiting for a surround assignment in the rear or elsewhere?
Should have great potential as a multich rig.

They are Klipsch R-51PM active speakers for use with my TV
I also take them with me as a second rig when we are staying away from home for a longer period
:)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Gone straight to the dark side and bought some wireless NC headphones to listen to music from my phone. Two hours of daily bus commute does that...

Have to say, these things sure came a long way...
Why wireless? That's another possible place of SQ loss and another set of batteries to worry over. The phones only a few feet away at most?

ezra_s

Forum Donor
My desktop and equipment.

Currently just using RME ADI-2 DAC -> Behringer A800 and SVS SB1000 (this last one not in the pictures).
Record player is Rega planar p1 with a rega mini a2d phono preamp connected through usb to the computer bellow my desk.

desktop.jpg
equipment.jpg

Last edited:

typericey

Gone straight to the dark side and bought some wireless NC headphones to listen to music from my phone. Two hours of daily bus commute does that...

Have to say, these things sure came a long way...
What wireless NC headphones did you get?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
My desktop and equipment.
Nice desktop rig, I'm sure it provides a great nearfield listening experience. Enjoy.
Sal

ezra_s

Forum Donor
Nice desktop rig, I'm sure it provides a great nearfield listening experience. Enjoy.
Sal

Yes, at first I thought I made a mistake buying the buchardts given the nature of the speakers, but at the end I managed to place them in that position right where they must be (to point at ear height, toed in to me and separated enough) and I am enjoying them better than ever (with the added sub) :)

Last edited:

noname

32869.jpg

Room size W x L x H = 4.2 x 6 x 2.5 m. or 14 x 20 x 8.3 ft.

My stereo system

Streamer - RPi4 (Volumio) >>> USB to DAC
DAC - Topping D90 >>> XLR to Amp
Pre - Marsh Sound Design P2000 (Not in use since I'm using a digital voulme control on DAC)
Amp - Marsh Sound Design A200S
Speaker - KEF R700

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
My stereo system
Thanks for posting, we always enjoy looking into other peoples rigs.
Everything looks great! Your room size seems very optimal and you have some awesome gear to go in it.
Just watch out for the charactors on you shelf behind the HiFi, you've seen the Chucky movies haven't you? ;)
Thanks again for posting!
Sal

Top Bottom