• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

The kit we bought, our current setups

pierre

Forum Donor
Nice setup. What kind of studio work do you do?
I used to do mastering for classical music. I switched to post prod for movies because there is more money there.
I am also building plugins from time to time or optimizing existing ones.

Thats not my main job because I find it fun from time to time but mastering tracks after tracks is not for me.

Sal1950

Major Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Really enjoy seeing everyones systems posted here.
Keep em coming please. ;)

Asylum Seeker

Smartphone {UAPP|FLAC} > Fiio BTR5 > TRN BA5
Excellent sound

IMG_20200426_083534.jpg

The Fiio in its case
IMG_20200505_103417.jpg

Oppo & Ikko
IMG_20200427_085745.jpg

kach22i

20200525_154836.jpg

I'm still doing demolition and playing with build-out ideas and testing out mock-ups of acoustical devices.

Every 2-3 days I make changes and get excited all over again. This is the fun part for me, life will be less exciting when it's finished.

When completed 11' wide, 15'-6" long and stuck with a 6'-8" ceiling height that will have a perimeter drop for ductwork and bass absorbers.

It sounds better that I have any right to expect it too. One reason may lay in the fact that bottom of the floor joists in the walk-out basement has an old layer of acoustic ceiling tile on it, then drywalled over. Either that or some fiberboard like homosote was the original ceiling.

Either way there is magic in this room that the diminutive dimensions defy and elude.

20200525_211132.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Sal1950

Major Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Either way there is magic in this room that the diminutive dimensions defy and elude.
Nice build-out your working on, I'm jealous you have the room to do it.
I've a couple of quick questions.
1 I love that listening chair, do you remember where you got it?
2 Just curious as to the builder of the tube amps, I don't recognize them?
3 Kool Ole Pioneer linear tracking TT, I remember when they were a current product.
Good luck with everything, hope it turns out even better than your expectations. ;)

kach22i

Nice build-out your working on, I'm jealous you have the room to do it.
I've a couple of quick questions.
1 I love that listening chair, do you remember where you got it?
2 Just curious as to the builder of the tube amps, I don't recognize them?
3 Kool Ole Pioneer linear tracking TT, I remember when they were a current product.
Good luck with everything, hope it turns out even better than your expectations. ;)
1. Amazon, the one with best reviews, bookmark on my old computer that I cannot access right now. Eames lounge chair and ottoman, from China $600, from Grand Rapids MI $6,000. I got the cheap one, have two of them in fact. Because I am only 5'-5" tall I put an indoor/outdoor seat cushion on it to get my ears 1" higher above the headrest. I assume taller people need not do this.

2. Golden Tube Audio SE-100 made in CA USA late 1980's early 1990's. Needs work, nothing too serious but you know how old tube amps can get.

3. It's great owning the dream equipment from one's high school days. I also have a 1977 Porsche 911 Targa, many features on it also do not work but still runs like the turntable still plays.

Last edited:

kach22i

Like I said, every day or two more changes.

This time I sought to explore the validity of either building my own subwoofer or modifying my existing one. The goal would be to minimize it's presence in the front soundstage by reducing external reflections.

To test the concept I placed the 23" high subwoofer on it's back so it is just 19" high. How does a 4" lower configuration sound? Great, vocals are no longer partially sunk behind the subwoofer.

Soundstage has expanded and is more coherent.

In addition a small pieces of foam are located at the sub's front edges and whole back face covered in foam, something I've had in place for some time to good affect.

I also seemed to have raised the vocals with a 8"x12" piece of foam centered and at wall to ceiling junction.

It is these little changes done on the cheap that delight me so. I am easily amused.

Attachments

Sal1950

Major Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
1. Amazon, the one with best reviews, bookmark on my old computer that I cannot access right now. Eames lounge chair and ottoman, from China $600
Thanks much for the response, it looks comfortable and kool at the same time plus good design for listening. I'll look around.

Sal1950

Major Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Can these JBL speakers be driven by 8 watts single ended tube integrated tube amp? Med size room not too loud.
IMO maybe but it would be very far from optimal. JBL suggests "25 – 200 watts suggested amplifier range"
With a 6 ohm, 91db sensitivity they sure wouldn't crack any plaster.
A speaker as revealing as these deserves something much better than a 8w SET distortion box.
With a good clean solid state 100-200 watt amp these babies would really sing.
https://www.jblsynthesis.com/products/loudspeakers/type/bookshelf-loudspeakers/4429.html

Kw6

IMO maybe but it would be very far from optimal. JBL suggests "25 – 200 watts suggested amplifier range"
With a 6 ohm, 91db sensitivity they sure wouldn't crack any plaster.
A speaker as revealing as these deserves something much better than a 8w SET distortion box.
With a good clean solid state 100-200 watt amp these babies would really sing.
https://www.jblsynthesis.com/products/loudspeakers/type/bookshelf-loudspeakers/4429.html
Ok you have a point there! Thanks!

Pjetrof

Thx to this and harbeth site my current system and again money in the pocket.
room 9 meters by 4.
open rectangular room
speakers on long side
left speaker 1,5 meter from wall speakers 2 meters apart right speaker approx 5 meter from wall
seating distance 3 meters
amp behringer a800
streamer ieast soundstreamer m20
dac topping d50
speakers harbeth 30.2
cables van Damme blue series

image.jpg

pierre

Forum Donor
Why did you mount the small Gennies horizontal?
because the K&M ceiling mount I am using has only 2 holes. I would need an adapter to put them vertically. I had some Focal Shape 40
before and the holes/screws used to be in the reverse position. I have been too lazy to hunt for an adapter.

I have now put the small 8341 on top of the W371 and it also works well (with less max output) but I still easily can get 100 dB 17Hz to 20k (97 dB at 15Hw). I am more and more convinced that the bass boost people like is because smaller speakers cannot produce them. I don't need to boost bass at all. In room I have a nice slopping curve to -6dB at 20kHz. -10dB is too dark for me possibly due to age.

Archsam

Current system:

20200530_114901.jpg

Harbeth P3esr speakers
REL T5i subwoofer
Yamaha A-S3000 integrated amp
Matrix Audio Element X DAC / streamer
Cambridge CXU universal player
Sony ST-SDB900 DAB tuner

* speaker stands are cheap £20 steel DIY job I bought years ago. Clearly not tall enough for the Harbeths. I planned to build my own using wood, when the world returns to 'normal' whatever and whenever it happens.

Darkvoice THA332 tube headphone amp
Focal Clear headphones
B&W P7 headphones
Etymotics ER4XR IEM
Shure SE535 IEM
Bose QuietComfort 25 (for travelling)

Past hifi gears:
Benchmark DAC1
AKG K702 headphones
Monitor Audio Silver S2 speakers
KEF Q1 speakers
Arcam A85 integrated amp
Arcam CD73t CD player
Cambridge Audio Azur 640c CD player
Paradigm 5.1 home theatre speakers, monitor series from early 2000s
Yamaha RX-340 AVR
Rotel RA-01 stereo amp

ripvw

Forum Donor
System Update:

2017 Apple iMac 27 running Tidal Hi-Fi 44.1k and Apple Music library of burned CD's using Apple Lossless, as well as the usual YouTube, SoundCloud, NPR, PBS, Netflix, Amazon and various other audio/video sources
Topping D90 standard non-MQA DAC/preamp - USB input only, running in DAC mode
Topping A90 headphone amp/preamp
Etymotic ER4SR IEM using low gain on the A90
Kali IN-8 studio monitors
Blue Jeans Cable 3-foot Canare L-4E6S Star Quad XLR from D90 to A90, 10-foot Canare L-4E6S Star Quad XLR from the A90 to the IN-8s
Stock power cords replaced by Benchmark locking 14-gauge AC cords of varying lengths along with $40 Panamax surge protector just because...
Desktop system with Kali's located on sand-filled 32" Pangea DS-400 stands about 1 meter from listening position (too close)
Very happy with new addition Topping A90.
May add AKG K712 Pro headphones and Tripp Lite Isobar surge protector in the near future - otherwise done until I move from my current residence

http://www.tpdz.net/productinfo/398270.html

http://www.tpdz.net/productinfo/472128.html

https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/earphones/er4-micropro-earphones-373.html

https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/balancedaudio/index.htm

https://benchmarkmedia.com/collections/cables/products/locking-power-cord?variant=6863689473

https://www.pangeaaudio.com/Pangea-Audios-DS-400-Speaker-Stand?quantity=1&height=4

Last edited:
The white front LYD-48s look good in your room. Mine are all-black.

What stands are you using?
Thanks!

I wanted something with a wide, heavy base for stability and a large top plate so I went with Konig & Meyer's Design monitor stand (26791) with the 26792-032 top plate. They have the added benefit of being height-adjustable so should I need to convert this room to a temporary WFH office I can bring in a desk and a different chair and simply raise them up. Very happy with the stands, Thomann's packing was a nightmare though - I'm surprised they survived without a mark.

Top Bottom