• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Future at Nikon

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No one mentioned Nikon also getting out of the sporting optics business?

Sak

The price differential was less in the UK.

The announced cost should be approximately the same around the world. There should not be large differences, at least 2 times.

Within a year Sony brought out a 42mp version, as Sony like big mp sensors.

42 megapixel version appeared only in rx1mk2 in 2016. It was 4 years later, after the RX1R version, in which the same sensor was installed, which was in first rx1 - 24Mp.
Not Within a year :)

Neutron

The announced cost should be approximately the same around the world. There should not be large differences, at least 2 times.

Sony products are much cheaper in China. Sony direct price of RX1R m2 is now $2750 USD (tax included) in China, while US has it for around $3300 usd pre tax. I don't know about UK, but it seems UK's law requires companies to service gray products.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Wait, what? I thought sport optics were a big deal due to popularity of birding. Nikon's binocular lineup had been a real mess with far too confusing offerings. I had been wanting a set of 8x30 or 8x40 apochromatic roof prisms.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In the USA, Leica Q2 is priced 1000 USD higher than Fujifilm's GFX-50R medium format camera with 50mm lens, not that I should be looking at that either! A lot of my shooting is nothing more profound than what I ate for lunch: Can you imagine me shooting that with a GFX-50R?

But I seem to gravitate more towards smaller, lighter things: Back when I was shooting Leica M, my favorite lens was the Minolta-made 40mm Summicron-C. That lens had most resolution and contrast in the center of the frame and was not particularly sharp or well-illuminated in the corners, but it played nice with the digital sensor, and the lens was TINY. Next-favorite would be the so-called Bokeh King 35/2 4th generation Summicron, though I'd likely have eventually swapped it out for a more modern design. Though I appreciate the wear-resistance of good chrome plating, chrome Leica lenses typically weigh a lot more than their black aluminum counterparts, and since black was also a lot cheaper, it was an easy choice for me. As for plastic, as long as it's implemented correctly, I've made my peace with it. Goodness knows the stuff seems to last long enough in landfills and oceans.

balletboy

I tried a Leica-Minolta 40cm briefly but hated the camera body and metering. No other Leica has 40mm framelines. The 35/f2 pre-ASPH might have nice bokeh at f8, but doesn't come close to the 35/f2 ASPH in any other regard. The Zeiss are just as good but heavier, bigger and not as smooth. I have a black aluminium 35/f2 ASPH and could live with it as my only lens.

I have the 28/f5.6 Summaron. A very small lens, 18mm long, 160g in brass, sharp in the middle, soft at the edges and 2.5 stops of vignetting wide open.

i think Fujifilm have mastered the art of the plastic lens. Some of them are excellent.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Asylum Seeker

can a new Caon body accept a 1950s Canon lens?
You can mount almost anything on the RF mount. Thanks for asking.

Good luck to you with Nikon.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you thinking of this:
https://www.outdoorlife.com/story/gear/nikon-will-no-longer-make-riflescopes/

Nikon is getting out of riflescope production. Will continue range finders, binoculars, and spotting scopes. Or have you seen something more recent saying differently?

Does make me wonder about the lifetime warranty on a couple of pricey Nikon riflescopes I have. I suppose the answer is I now have no warranty. They've replaced one for me a few years back when the reticle detached for no good reason. Suppose I'm SOL now.

I can say that means i'll not buy anymore Nikon products of any kind. They are in a good place in a large market and walk away because of politics. So I'll walk away from them. Guess it is a good thing I replaced my last Nikon DSLR with a Canon. Was planning on getting a mirrorless at some point. Nikon has made which one to buy a slightly simpler decision.

Current sport optics page. No riflescopes.
https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/sportoptics/

Last edited:

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Are you thinking of this:
https://www.outdoorlife.com/story/gear/nikon-will-no-longer-make-riflescopes/

Nikon is getting out of riflescope production. Will continue range finders, binoculars, and spotting scopes. Or have you seen something more recent saying differently?

Does make me wonder about the lifetime warranty on a couple of pricey Nikon riflescopes I have. I suppose the answer is I now have no warranty. They've replaced one for me a few years back when the reticle detached for no good reason. Suppose I'm SOL now.

I can say that means i'll not buy anymore Nikon products of any kind. They are in a good place in a large market and walk away because of politics. So I'll walk away from them. Guess it is a good thing I replaced my last Nikon DSLR with a Canon. Was planning on getting a mirrorless at some point. Nikon has made which one to buy a slightly simpler decision.

Current sport optics page. No riflescopes.
https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/sportoptics/

I was purposely vague, as IME, people here get their panties in a bunch over anything firearms related rather easily.

balletboy

I have Nikon varifocal spectacle lenses that are absolutely fantastic.

mansr

Major Contributor
Yes, RF accepts almost everything.
RF mount is used on the EOS R mirrorless range. DSLRs have the EF mount. A 1950s Canon lens would have used the old screw mount. All the pre-EF mounts have a shorter flange distance, so a simple mechanical adapter will lose distant focus ability. Adapters including optical elements to compensate for this exist, at least for the FD and FL mounts. The new RF mount has a much shorter flange distance, so here simple adapters are possible, should someone decide to make one. Beyond optical compatibility, we have things like aperture control. For this to work with an old lens, an adapter would have to include a mechanical actuator and suitable electronics.

balletboy

You can mount almost anything on the RF mount. Thanks for asking.

Good luck to you with Nikon.

You can mix most lenses and cameras these days, it's just whatever works for you. I like small, as can be seen from the Leica Summaron 28/f5.6 compared to the Nikon FTZ mount converter.
20200607_155325.jpg
20200607_155236.jpg

I can stick this lens on a Nikon Z6 and use it perfectly well with focus peaking. It doesn't rally need focusing as much of the time you can just leave it on f/8 and infinity.

Unfortunately it is about as pretty as a pair of Genelec speakers.
20200607_160911.jpg

Promit

I'm fascinated that this thread somehow became a discussion about the industry afterthought that is Leica. I also consider the whole manual adapted lens thing to be a very wonky photography hobbyist quirk, fun at home but not really very meaningful at scale. That's not to criticize doing it, as I have plenty of adapters here. It's a little different with manual adapters versus something like the fully automatic adapters like the Nikon FTZ, of course.

In any case, the professional photography industry at large is really built around sports, events, weddings, and then some secondary stuff like landscape, portrait, wildlife/birding. Really feels like studio has faded away almost entirely these days, and journalism was gutted years ago. Amateur/personal photography has basically become a lot like audio: a niche obsession for those who don't think a phone/soundbar is perfectly good. It's very difficult to understand where that's headed, as there's been a strong push towards higher margin full frame products and similarly premium lens offerings. It's hard to claim with a straight face that Sony or Nikon take APS-C seriously, and I'm not convinced Canon will for long either.

Last edited:

balletboy

I'm fascinated that this thread somehow became a discussion about the industry afterthought that is Leica. I also consider the whole manual adapted lens thing to be a very wonky photography hobbyist quirk, fun at home but not really very meaningful at scale. That's not to criticize doing it, as I have plenty of adapters here. It's a little different with manual adapters versus something like the fully automatic adapters like the Nikon FTZ, of course.

In any case, the professional photography industry at large is really built around sports, events, weddings, and then some secondary stuff like landscape, portrait, wildlife/birding. Really feels like studio has faded away almost entirely these days, and journalism was gutted years ago. Amateur/personal photography has basically become a lot like audio: a niche obsession for those who don't think a phone/soundbar is perfectly good. It's very difficult to understand where that's headed, as there's been a strong push towards higher margin full frame products and similarly premium lens offerings. It's hard to claim with a straight face that Sony or Nikon take APS-C seriously, and I'm not convinced Canon will for long either.

The leading professional camera company is Phase One, with over half the global market, with its origins in the Mamiya pro systems of the 1960s.

Some other older companies like Leica and Zeiss started making microscopes. Imaging and commercial and consumer optics cover a vast range of applications, whether ophthalmics (now including Nikon and Leica to Zeiss, the latter being in opthalmics for decades), sporting optics, heritage, mobile, etc. There are many other markets, such as printing, security, cinematic, logistics, all sorts of things that the likes of Canon and Panasonic are involved in. Then you have screens and other technologies that the likes of Sony and Panasonic are involved in.

Leica have about 10% global revenues compared to Nikon, but they are in a lot of partnerships, for example an alliance with Panasonic and Sigma, drones with Yuneec, mobile with Huawei, as well as their own product lines. Don't forget they invented 35mm photography. Although Leica do lots of things, they are still very heavily focused on optics. The alliance with Panasonic has been a real success in filling their gap in electronics and resulted in the SL system, a seriously good professional system.

Leica also seem to be a taking a lead in consumer optics, with their store/galleries popping up everywhere. Fujifilm had copied it with their "House of Photography" concept. I was hugely impressed when I visited. I also happen to like their cameras. Both my kids used them and my younger son has an X100F.
https://www.fujifilm-houseofphotography.com

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nikon is getting out of riflescope production. [..]
Does make me wonder about the lifetime warranty on a couple of pricey Nikon riflescopes I have. I suppose the answer is I now have no warranty.
As long as the company (Nikon) is in business the warranty should be valid.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The leading professional camera company is Phase One, with over half the global market, with its origins in the Mamiya pro systems of the 1960s.

Half of the global market for digital medium format. The countless wedding/event/sports professionals aren’t shooting P1.

Leica have about 10% global revenues compared to Nikon, but they are in a lot of partnerships

And it’s important to note that this is the modern day Leica Camera. There are separate companies under the Leica brand that were spun out and we should not forgot about Elcan, which produced some of Leica’s best lenses and has moved on to provide optics for Raytheon.

FujiFilm also has a robust pharmaceutical division.

Nikon has a fading semiconductor division, which hasn’t kept up with the latest technologies but still represents and important part of its business.

Olympus has a strong medical endoscopy division as does Pentax, but Pentax cameras and medical were split.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
RF mount is used on the EOS R mirrorless range. DSLRs have the EF mount. A 1950s Canon lens would have used the old screw mount. All the pre-EF mounts have a shorter flange distance, so a simple mechanical adapter will lose distant focus ability. Adapters including optical elements to compensate for this exist, at least for the FD and FL mounts. The new RF mount has a much shorter flange distance, so here simple adapters are possible, should someone decide to make one. Beyond optical compatibility, we have things like aperture control. For this to work with an old lens, an adapter would have to include a mechanical actuator and suitable electronics.

Exactly. Yet any Nikon pro body will accept Nikkors back to the birth of the Nikon SLR system -- 1959 (just like Patti Smith said).

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Leica lenses... they have some rendering that is hard to explain in objective* terms. It is often called Leicaness. The Panasonic-Leica lenses ofr m43 bodies seem to have it too.

people have tried to explain it as microcontrast, color, etc.

here are some notes gathered from people trying to explain Leicaness:

micro-contrast - the ability to register numerous tonal variations between slightly darker and slightly brighter areas of similar colors

high micro-contrast gives rich colors and smooth tonal transitions that create the three-dimensional “feel” of a photo

Leica lenses have high micro-contrast and “glow”

Glow - a localized haze around highlights, caused by spherical aberrations when using a large aperture

Leica lenses have a smooth focus fall off from the focal plane

an illusion of depth in the photograph

* microscopic pun noted but not intended

Top Bottom