• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Future at Nikon

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The hope is that the Olympus Pros will already be a sufficiently large upgrade from my previous binoculars that I'll be happy enough just so long as I don't compare with the very best units available. But even if I do, the ~2400 USD price differential between mine and the very top-end sets might buy any number of other distractions!

Backyard astronomy was actually one of my passions back when I had a sort of backyard. I really got a rush out of seeing faintly glowing regions of sky resolved into countless granules! Still really want to build a 6" f/8 dob for viewing planets too, and it just doesn't seem right if it's not all Sonotube and birch-ply (but I ramble).
I used a 6 inch dob for awhile. After using refractors for some time. The lack of color issues was a big improvement. Now have an old Celestron C8 Schmidt_Cassegrain. But actually don't do as much astronomy as I once did. Used to be little light pollution where I lived, but it has slowly and surely increased.

Neutron

Well, well, well. I receievd the Z6 and played with it for 2 days. I am IMPRESSED by this little camera. Tunning the output requires little effort. This is capture with a summicron 50/2 LTM (collapsible one). I cannot say I love the EVF (since I feel some eye-strain), but it's focus peaking is the best I gave used to date, compared with canon and Sony's offering.

Sorry for the boring photo.

DSC_0104.jpg

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It turns out I have more Nikon in my life than I realized: I never put 2 and 2 together when I picked up my previous set of eyeglasses and was given a Nikon microfiber cloth, but when I picked up a new set today, I also received a certificate of authenticity from http://nikonlenswear.us/ as well. Best eyeglasses I've ever had by a long shot!

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Gotta say, my Z7 does quite a remarkable job, from Aurora last summer (from gulf of alaska) to various landscapes. The focus peaking can be used to amazing benefit, along with focus stacking.

Neutron

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-53165293

The Olympus camera brand is being sold to Japan Industrial Partners.

It makes me wonder if Nikon is talking to anyone.

Consumer camera seg. isn't a big seg. within Olympus. Their main imaging products are medical/labortory imaging devices, and those are so widely used around the globe in hospitals. They made consumer cameras til today probably was like doing some side-projects with available resources. But now their advanced imaging systems are too advanced to maintain a convergence in interest with that little camera market left behind for them.

Top Bottom