• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 282 58.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 175 36.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 15 3.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 7 1.5%

• Total voters

Ken1951

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Totally disagree.
1) In this relatively minor case (we’re not reporting a murder here) I think it would be dishonourable to be a stool pigeon; and
2) Ferrari is more than capable to take care of itself.
The thing is - like much else EA seems to do - there is no "Ferrari white". Ferrari has used, and uses, many different whites through the years. Just like other colors. They're "Bianco.....", with the Bianco followed by the name for a particular white.

Inertiaman

Forum Donor
Totally disagree.
1) In this relatively minor case (we’re not reporting a murder here) I think it would be dishonourable to be a stool pigeon; and
2) Ferrari is more than capable to take care of itself.
Seriously?

1) This is hardly a case of turning in your partner in crime. Rather, its recognizing someone trying to make associations between their half-assed (my opinion) speakers and world-known luxury brands. That same person is simultaneously (arguably hypocritically) threatening legal action against innocent persons of lesser means. In this scenario, you feel the dishonor lay with someone reporting this man?
2) Duh. Reporting simply lets them do so.

If you can't see the inherent joy (and justice) in Eric A. receiving a legitimate cease & desist letter from Ferrari after illegitimately threatening C&D letters on others, I can't help you.

This person purchased Tekton and didn't like them. (att copied from another forum)!
He spoke with Eric on the phone(last paragraph). I have zero sympathy for what Eric is going through right now.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    147.8 KB · Views: 523

ampguy

I always dream to stumble upon one I can afford...It will never happen unless someone makes a mistake & I would probably tell them of it & still would have one..lol For now I just listen to Joe Bonamassa play his..
The guy can play, but seems like his shows are more of a traveling gear display.
Thanks for sharing!

Aside from the design, chuffing may be masked by the music, bass content and other conditions. In any case, there is no absolute guarantee that Amir or Erin would encounter in the time they take to do a review. Your point about turbulence around the hole is noteworthy but goes back to the design and potential quality diffs. Did your speaker chuff with nutserts or empty holes?

The fact that the designer thought they should points more to convenient deception on his part or that if it is really obvious, why customers have not complained. His knowledge of the potential problem is also disturbing in that he has not implemented what is a very simple fix. In any case, not his best card to play!

p.s. the turbulence is noteworthy as it is more likely to cause chuffing than the air speed claims by the alleged top notch designer
the speakers were sold to fit either flat metal stands that sealed the cabinet for say hardwood floors, or spikes for carpet. Whoever sent Erin the speakers didn’t include them. Air will come out of them at high volumes, it may or may not be audible depending on your floor. If you have a kazoo under one hole in your carpet, it will have a great effect. Cmon, the dude is not charging extra for these, just seal the holes. If you’re a reviewer, and get the speakers from a 3rd party, ask if what you’re getting is what comes with the speakers new. Problem solved, and reviewer doesn’t have to communicate with mfr.

cavedriver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It is a well known effect from the HRTF.
I do not see how you want to address it, at least not easily, in mixing. The microphones record (more or less) from all directions, but in stereo everything is reproduced from the front. That changes the balance in the signal between direct and diffuse sound.

View attachment 364316
yes, after I posted that I searched and realized I had "rediscovered" that there's a thing called the BBC dip, and that you had already posted about it in past threads. Clueless me had never bothered to read up on it when I've seen it mentioned here in the past, thanks for re-sharing!

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
The guy can play, but seems like his shows are more of a traveling gear display.

Careful. I personally built some of the gear he travels to display ;)

PICT5248.JPG

PICT4021.JPG

PICT4361.JPG

Inertiaman

Forum Donor
This person purchased Tekton and didn't like them. (att copied from another forum)!
He spoke with Eric on the phone(last paragraph). I have zero sympathy for what Eric is going through right now.
The My Pillow guy reference gave me an idea for nicknaming E. Alexander . . . he's the My Speaker guy!

Maybe he can re-brand Tekton to My Speaker and then those two can sue each other forever.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Weighing in on the Ferrari thing once more - I agree that his use is probably de facto licensed (either that, or that paint company is going to be in for a world of hurt), and the discrepancy between the official italian name and "white" is probably not enough for any judge to award damages. He might get a C&D from Ferrari if we report it, he might use better wording or just stop using the Ferrari name, and that would be the end of it. No way in hell would Ferrari go to court over this.

Meanwhile ASR would be (correctly) pegged as having petty and vengeful members looking for ways to mess with EA for reasons beyond his actual bad behavior.

I can't imagine Ferrari going to court, but I can imagine EA using that to pour scorn all over ASR every chance he gets. He'll say we're "evil Amir cultists trying to ruin his life with illegal false claims" or whatever. You can imagine, I am sure.

Look at it this way. If a well-regarded brand like Ascend were calling their speakers "Ferrari White" in the exact same way, would that seriously lower your opinion of Ascend? If not, why go after Tekton for it, other than general personal antipathy?

So despite my earlier excitement about it, I agree it's not worth reporting him for possible TM issues over his paint color names.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Weighing in on the Ferrari thing once more - I agree that his use is probably de facto licensed (either that, or that paint company is going to be in for a world of hurt), and the discrepancy between the official italian name and "white" is probably not enough for any judge to award damages. He might get a C&D from Ferrari if we report it, he might use better wording or just stop using the Ferrari name, and that would be the end of it. No way in hell would Ferrari go to court over this.

Meanwhile ASR would be (correctly) pegged as having petty and vengeful members looking for ways to mess with EA for reasons beyond his actual bad behavior.

Look at it this way. If a well-regarded brand like Ascend were calling their speakers "Ferrari White" in the exact same way, would that seriously lower your opinion of Ascend? If not, why go after Tekton for it, other than general personal antipathy?

So despite my earlier excitement about it, I agree it's not worth reporting him for possible TM issues over his paint color names.

I can't imagine Ferrari going to court, but I can imagine EA using that to pour scorn all over ASR every chance he gets. He'll say we're "trying to ruin his life with illegal false claims" or whatever. You can imagine, I am sure.

No makes no sense, but still it would be funny to ask ferrari why ferrari white is blue? :)

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No makes no sense, but still it would be funny to ask ferrari why ferrari white is blue? :)
I think it was a simple miscommunication, EA meant the ready-to-ship speaker was Ferrari White even though the photo was of a blue one. I have a lot of doubts about EA's knowledge and expertise after this whole drama, but I think he at least knows his colors.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I think it was a simple miscommunication, EA meant the ready-to-ship speaker was Ferrari White even though the photo was of a blue one. I have a lot of doubts about EA's knowledge and expertise after this whole drama, but I think he at least knows his colors.

I just like to see a little bit of fun in this drama. ;)

The only two things i learned is that 4 little holes have less influence than i have thought.
And that even some successfull people have absolutly no social behaviour.
But thats just my subjective impression others may think different.

Last edited:

Danny23

IMG_0568.png

I don’t know about that. He never mentions anywhere in his thread that there are any ready-to-ship Ulfberht models, and there are no ready-to-ship Ulfberhts in the ready-to-ship section of his website. I kinda think these blue things are a low quality rendering rather than actual speakers.

ampguy

EasyC

Forum Donor
Something very similar to this whole Tekton drama is happening with the most famous reviewer of them all - Marques Brownlee.
He just reviewed the Humane AI Pin - they're not happy...
But the review has more than 4 million views now. I think there's some kind of momentum now in how reviewing is being regarded.
MKBHD's view on the subject:

rynberg

Forum Donor
It is a well known effect from the HRTF.
I do not see how you want to address it, at least not easily, in mixing. The microphones record (more or less) from all directions, but in stereo everything is reproduced from the front. That changes the balance in the signal between direct and diffuse sound.
I'll have to read that section, although the graph relates to pure tones -- more broadband signals like a lot of music are not perceived nor behave the same way as pure tones. I think there is some confusion here in regards to the micing technique, whether it's on my side or the two of you, I'll have to read up more on this issue. :)

In any case, this affect would also be present at the mixing/mastering position and should be fixed there. I don't know why you say it cannot be easily addressed during mixing or mastering, where far field listening should always be part of the process. I'll further note that speakers employing a "BBC dip" do not, in fact, measure as a flat slope in-room, they show a dip. Speakers that are flat through the upper midrange/lower treble and have good directivity DO measure as a flat slope in-room. People should stop mixing/mastering on speakers employing a BBC dip to avoid that region sounding elevated on more neutral systems -- hence we circle back around ( :cool: ) to my Circle of Confusion comment.

Selkirks

Not surprising to read this.

My final interaction with EA was getting screamed at over the phone because I called for a shipping update on my $6,000 order. He unloaded on me about all of the stresses in his life at that time. Since that experience other (ex) Tekton owners have shared horror stories but most threads were deleted.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I don't believe bad reviews have hurt HiFi gear sales near as much as rave reviews in the subjective media have made
big winners out of so-so or even lousy gear. How about their subjective comments on certain cables raising a thousand
veils on the soundstage and turning a BS market into a multi-milliondollar industry.
:mad:

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll have to read that section, although the graph relates to pure tones -- more broadband signals like a lot of music are not perceived nor behave the same way as pure tones. I think there is some confusion here in regards to the micing technique, whether it's on my side or the two of you, I'll have to read up more on this issue. :)

In any case, this affect would also be present at the mixing/mastering position and should be fixed there. I don't know why you say it cannot be easily addressed during mixing or mastering, where far field listening should always be part of the process. I'll further note that speakers employing a "BBC dip" do not, in fact, measure as a flat slope in-room, they show a dip. Speakers that are flat through the upper midrange/lower treble and have good directivity DO measure as a flat slope in-room. People should stop mixing/mastering on speakers employing a BBC dip to avoid that region sounding elevated on more neutral systems -- hence we circle back around ( :cool: ) to my Circle of Confusion comment.
The cross-talk error in stereo reproduction is another "problem" which just means taking care of the 1-5 kHz region on and off-axis. The dip around 1.8 kHz is easily heard and can only be fixed with a adjusting balance between direct and reflected sound. A "BBC" dip as I've sen can occur anywhere between 1-4 kHz, and if it occurs at 2 kHz it just exaggerates the stereo dip at 1.8 kHz. Been discussed in many threads already. A slight dip should be placed around 3-4 kHz where the stereo crosstalk errors cause a peak.

peniku8

Forum Donor
The My Pillow guy reference gave me an idea for nicknaming E. Alexander . . . he's the My Speaker guy!

Maybe he can re-brand Tekton to My Speaker and then those two can sue each other forever.
Nah, hes already been named Mr. Tekken, because akin to the game referenced, he is always about fighting when he shows up.

Top Bottom