• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Streamer/Amp configuration

phillie_s19

Hello everyone! Recently I’ve decided to make my very first audio system, got some new speakers Klipsch R-620f, and cant decide what amplifier+streamer / av-reciever to pair with them.
The goal is:
- listen to music (airplay streaming/spotify/local dsd collection/connect turntable)
- connect tv via hdmi 2.1 to enhance movie experience.
The budget is ~ 1-1.2k €.
Thought of denon avr-x2800, audiolab omnia (doesnt have hdmi), marantz stereo 70s, or pair some amp with wiim pro.
Can you please give some guidance and advice

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Denon avr I think has the best combination of facilities for your use....but personally would go to the next level up for the higher level of Audyssey as well as the provision of a full set of pre-outs for amplification flexibility.....

ps I'd consider a sub, too

OP
P

phillie_s19

The Denon avr I think has the best combination of facilities for your use....but personally would go to the next level up for the higher level of Audyssey as well as the provision of a full set of pre-outs for amplification flexibility.....
Do you mean something like Denon AVR-X4800/4700 cuz Amir approves it?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you mean something like Denon AVR-X4800/4700 cuz Amir approves it?
More like because I have three Denon avrs. The 3800, has the general feature set I was thinking of....and has not just the better level of Audyssey but the potential of buying into Dirac. May not be budget friendly, but have always preferred avrs with xt32/full set of pre-outs from Denon/Marantz. Do you plan to expand from the Klipsch L/R speakers?

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome to ASR!

Since the speakers are very sensitive you could actually get away by just using the WiiM amp.

I am pretty bullish on WiiM in general - I have my turntable connected to a Schiit Mani 2 and a WiiM Pro, so I can use it wirelessly with my mains. If you don't need more than 2 channels the WiiM amp or the WiiM Pro + amp is a viable option.

If your budget is $1000 you can get the WiiM Amp and a decent sub or two inside your budget. ;)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Does your turntable have a separate phono stage or does that need to be in the box?

OP
P

phillie_s19

More like because I have three Denon avrs. The 3800, has the general feature set I was thinking of....and has not just the better level of Audyssey but the potential of buying into Dirac. May not be budget friendly, but have always preferred avrs with xt32/full set of pre-outs from Denon/Marantz. Do you plan to expand from the Klipsch L/R speakers?
Not in the nearest future, because of small living room. I still think that the speakers are too massive for it, and i should better go in for shelves ones.
I can afford a central channel, but the system will begin to look like a home theater, not a stereo. I know that integrated amps are better for music, but they dont support streaming features (a rare ones). Also 2.0 speakers are useless in AVRs, and you should buy additional central channel because voice goes through it. So Im confused about selecting the right device

OP
P

phillie_s19

Welcome to ASR!

Since the speakers are very sensitive you could actually get away by just using the WiiM amp.

I am pretty bullish on WiiM in general - I have my turntable connected to a Schiit Mani 2 and a WiiM Pro, so I can use it wirelessly with my mains. If you don't need more than 2 channels the WiiM amp or the WiiM Pro + amp is a viable option.

If your budget is $1000 you can get the WiiM Amp and a decent sub or two inside your budget. ;)
Thanks! Yeah I’ve found Wiim amp for myself an hour ago, but because it is new device there is a few information about it. What do you think about eversolo dmp-a6 + some power amp?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not in the nearest future, because of small living room. I still think that the speakers are too massive for it, and i should better go in for shelves ones.
I can afford a central channel, but the system will begin to look like a home theater, not a stereo. I know that integrated amps are better for music, but they dont support streaming features (a rare ones). Also 2.0 speakers are useless in AVRs, and you should buy additional central channel because voice goes through it. So Im confused about selecting the right device
The 620s are massive? Small rooms you may well be served well by bookshelves/sub (and most floorstanders still need a sub but may not be as flexible in placement). If just using a pair of speakers for the prime listening spot, the center is of minimal help IMO, but if you start moving around, becomes more important....plus most of most movie soundtracks are in the center so a really capable center can simply be nice. Integrated amps being "better for music" sounds like audiophile bullshit....not my experience in any case, they're just compromised receivers :). Best part of an avr even with just L/R speakers is having an ability to use a 2.1 output format with a sub, something most speakers, even floorstanders, aren't the equivalent of.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks! Yeah I’ve found Wiim amp for myself an hour ago, but because it is new device there is a few information about it. What do you think about eversolo dmp-a6 + some power amp?
Looks like there have been at least some tests of the WiiM amp. https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/my-wiim-amp-tests.1873/

So far the results aren't bad really... ~90dB SINAD for a power amp is decent.

The Eversolo looks great but to me is a bit of overkill. You will spend several hundred, to get a decent amp on top of that will probably blow your $1K budget. I am sure it will work very well but you don't really need to go that far IMO.

I would rather get a WiiM Pro or even Mini and a nice Hypex amp of some sort in the $1K budget range.

Top Bottom